EU debate - young v old

Milky

Well we're flogging a dead horse with you; your brainwashing is too complete.     8) 

Who washed my brain? How did they do it?  Are you sure it happened?  Would you like to lie down and tell me how long you have been experiencing these delusions of grandeur?  Did you have rude thoughts about your mother as a child? Has bestiality and flagellation long been your kind of thing? lol

I can't understand this link with the trade unions that the remainers peddle. It would seem to me to be a very strange trade union movement that would side with an organisation that advocates free movement of people who could potentially take the work from its existing membership. Damaging strikes have taken place over such actions in the past & any decent union would be championing the cause of training & retraining programmes for British people to take the heat off the politically massaged unemployment figures. Maybe inducements have been offered.

I can't understand this link with the trade unions that the remainers peddle. It would seem to me to be a very strange trade union movement that would side with an organisation that advocates free movement of people who could potentially take the work from its existing membership. Damaging strikes have taken place over such actions in the past & any decent union would be championing the cause of training & retraining programmes for British people to take the heat off the politically massaged unemployment figures. Maybe inducements have been offered.

Hmmmm.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/27/union-bosses-accused-of-buying-concessions-to-trade-union-bill-w/

The Trade Unions and Labour Party hierarchy have clearly given up of ever winning a General Election in the UK, hence their reliance on the EU Courts to override any Tory threats to worker's rights in the UK. Worker's and women's rights have been secured by TU activism in factories and on the streets throughout history, and secured by a UK Parliament - so no thanks to the EU. The idea that having EU law provides protection, only applies if people are prepared to act to see that laws are enforced by action on the shop floor - it didn't happen at Sports Direct did it? 8)  btw: well spotted Baz !  

The Trade Unions and Labour Party hierarchy have clearly given up of ever winning a General Election in the UK, hence their reliance on the EU Courts to override any Tory threats to worker's rights in the UK. Worker's and women's rights have been secured by TU activism in factories and on the streets throughout history, and secured by a UK Parliament - so no thanks to the EU. The idea that having EU law provides protection, only applies if people are prepared to act to see that laws are enforced by action on the shop floor - it didn't happen at Sports Direct did it? 8)  btw: well spotted Baz !  

http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/unite-launches-campaign-to-tackle-victorian-work-practices-in-sports-direct/

Unites action against Sports Direct has apparently been going on for over 3 years now and still the guy gets away with his working practices. He has even admitted to paying less than the minimum wage and yet very little has been said about that by the unions or the Government

Quite correct Baz;  any Union worth the name would have been into that place from the start - bit late now isn't it?    :twisted:

did you read what Baz posted?  3 years.  Union power has been seriously reduced by the Tories of late or hadn't you noticed?

I never imagined I would ever say this, but maybe closed shops weren't such a bad thing after all; if they put a stop to the likes of Sports Directs practices....

it will never happen though because the EUCHR ruled in favour of the Danish Government and against closed shop agreements back in 2006..... 

Wake up PJ:  so-called workers rights have taken an absolute dive in the past couple of decades and EU laws (backed up by similar laws in the UK, haven't made a jot of difference. If the workforce are ignorant of the law or simply scared, they'll put up with Dickensian conditions. The only way to hold employers to account is work based trade union involvement and activity, laws or no laws. Being in the EU, didn't help Port Talbot, Sports Direct or BHS staff;  and these criminal bosses are still free to spend their exploited wealth.  :twisted:   btw Dave, one of the reasons the NHS is being run into the ground is the huge sums they are paying to agencies for staff cover, whilst our Gov make it even harder for indigenous nurses to qualify.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So the blame falls on our Government that we elected, not on the EU.  You can't simply blame the EU for all the bad things in the world.  Firstly it's not true and secondly it lets off the hook those actually to blame.

I think, in all fairness, the government''s & to some extent the public's desire for watered down union powers started in the seventies when the 3 day week had to be used to ration power & also the dirty jobs dispute that meant the dead could not be buried. The unions were & had been for some time too powerful & that was the start of the thinking behind breaking up industries to take the power of ransom away from the workers. Not that all the strikes were instigated by all the workers, but a militant core sufficient to carry a vote was all that was needed &, because the moderates usually didn't bother turning up at union meetings, many unnecessary & damaging strikes came about with a show of hands. Just as happens in a democratic election for a government, if people don't turn out to vote nothing has a chance of changing.