Things you can't buy anymore

Latchford Locks

arguing-with-idiots-is-like-playing-ches

This sprung to mind fugtifino...

Excuse me don't you realise that pigeons have feelings?

That could be classed as Improper and insulting behaviour; and most hurtful to the bird population of this once glorious nation...

They have rights as well you know !

Edited by Latchford Locks
  • Upvote 1

Sorry Deleted due to  Duplicate Post

MOds, can you tidy this up please :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: How on earth did you manage to post the same thing 5 times Milky one after the other..well 6 time if you include the one I'm replying to.

I've deleted the other 5 for you as requested and I'm glad it's not only me who's having a bonkers day :lol: :lol:

I managed to buy a pack of Potato Puffs not too long back and they looked and tasted were exactly the same as I remembered them.

I hope they were some kind of nostalgia thing rather than just old stock but I'm still here anyway so it doesn't matter.

Bill :)

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Bill shame on you !!!!

I was the one who mentioned Potato Puffs and I'd give anything for a packet.  I even signed the petition to bring them back ...and now you say you had some not long ago WHY DIDN'T YOU GET ME A PACKET.

And there's me thinking you were a nice chap, well I've changed my mind now and you are 100% in my bad books :twisted: :twisted: :lol::P

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Bill shame on you !!!!

I was the one who mentioned Potato Puffs and I'd give anything for a packet.  I even signed the petition to bring them back ...and now you say you had some not long ago WHY DIDN'T YOU GET ME A PACKET.

And there's me thinking you were a nice chap, well I've changed my mind now and you are 100% in my bad books :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :P

I am sure you can still buy Cheese flavored potatoes puffs, sure I have seen them some place in Warrington, I will keep eye out.

As for posting several times, I was on my phone, I was getting a message saying program ended so I presumed I was not posting, so i was hitting the send button over and over.

You must have the same phone as as me Milky and maybe phones that work as they're expected to should be included on the list of things that you can't buy these days  :lol:

And for Dizzy well what can I say. So sad that you've ended years of friendship over a bag of potato puffs but I suppose given time I'll get over this.

If I'd found a packet in some remote and distant corner of the universe I might have been forgiven but these were from just rouud the corner from you at Morrisons.  Ask Sid if you can borrow his wrong specs, that might help  8)

Does anyone remember the Pop Man who came around on teatime with the weekends delivery and to pick up the empties

The Alpine Soft Drinks man used to come in a sort of converted milk float every week (Wednesday or Thursday), and sell these street by street back in the mid seventies. Alpine Soft Drinks were closer to Corona than Cresta, but they came in the most vivid colours and left you hyper all evening. Alpine Soft Drinks came in the usual flavours - Orangeade, Limeade, Lemonade, Cola, Cherryade and of course Dandelion and Burdock.

And for Dizzy well what can I say. So sad that you've ended years of friendship over a bag of potato puffs but I suppose given time I'll get over this.

If I'd found a packet in some remote and distant corner of the universe I might have been forgiven but these were from just rouud the corner from you at Morrisons.  Ask Sid if you can borrow his wrong specs, that might help  8)

From Morrisons  :shock: :shock: OMG I shop in there all the time and have never every seen any.  Are you sure they were the same Puffs 

burtons%20potato%20puffs%202_zpszueknhsb

looking for that pic I spotted these too that I'd forgotten about.  They were shaped little little pigs delicious.   I'm drooling now  :lol: 

burtons%20piglets_zpskfvubp7j.jpg  

I remember the pop man Latchy. 
As kids we used to wait eagerly with our washed out bottles and the money mum gave us longing to hear the sound of bottles rattling when he came round the corner of our avenue so we could swap them
for full ones.
It was a special treat.  Can you remember how much he charged ?

Does anyone recall when the TV was black and white and would go off in the afternoon and late in the Evening and there were only three channels?

I bought our first colour TV when I started work from Dixons in the Golden Square. A few years ago I had five TVs in the house, including a tiny pocket one, now back to one, a 50 inch one, have a hundered or more channels but it is off as there is nothing good to watch

Remember having a black and white tv when we got married as we could not afford a colour one at the time. Was an old baird set in the art deco style if  memory serves.

Do remember having the three channels and the little white dot in the middle of the screen at the end of broadcasting for the night.

dad once fell asleep watching a prog and was woken up when a ghostly voice said "don't forget to switch off your tv set" he had slept through the brief playing of the national anthem and woke to find the place in darkness and wondering if we had burglars.

did they not have an epilogue and a religious sign off on sunday as well.

best memory was of watching the snooker and hearing that famous saying, "for those watching in black and white it is the one behind the green"

The indoor arials were great as well. two extendible rods that you spent half an hour fiddling with to get a decent picture.

My pc monitor is bigger than my first tv screen was.

Does anyone recall when the TV was black and white and would go off in the afternoon and late in the Evening and there were only three channels?

I bought our first colour TV when I started work from Dixons in the Golden Square. A few years ago I had five TVs in the house, including a tiny pocket one, now back to one, a 50 inch one, have a hundered or more channels but it is off as there is nothing good to watch

Even my car has 3 screens in it... all capable of watching freeview on... you have to love technology :)

When we first got married we rented an old black and white""reconditioned"" set from Reliance Radio on Forest St, Latchford.

It took 5 minutes to warm up and then the picture would start to roll up and down like a barrel .

But a good smack on the side of the set usually fixed it  :lol:

We also had a black and white TV when we were first married and that suffered the same problem, frame hold or lack of it. I purchased a copy of Practical TV magazine and after a long investigation proved the fault to be in a small coil, somewhat akin to a cotton bobbin. My new bride and i  unwound the wire (about as thick as a human hair) taking several hours until i found the break. After soldering the two ends and then very carefully re-winding the coil and replacing it.....success!! A few days later, while working for B.T. I went to repair the phone at a TV repair shop and smugly mentioned my cleverness  whereupon the proprietor went to a box on the shelf which contained dozens of the coils, 50p each he said!!!!

• Upvote 2

We also had a black and white TV when we were first married and that suffered the same problem, frame hold or lack of it. I purchased a copy of Practical TV magazine and after a long investigation proved the fault to be in a small coil, somewhat akin to a cotton bobbin. My new bride and i  unwound the wire (about as thick as a human hair) taking several hours until i found the break. After soldering the two ends and then very carefully re-winding the coil and replacing it.....success!! A few days later, while working for B.T. I went to repair the phone at a TV repair shop and smugly mentioned my cleverness  whereupon the proprietor went to a box on the shelf which contained dozens of the coils, 50p each he said!!!!

Oh deary me :oops: 

; but at least you had the satisfaction of showing off your technical skill's to your new wife.

But I still say a quick bang on the side was easier  :lol:

My first ever memories of a colour tv was in St Mary's Catholic Club and they had a brand new Colour set in the members lounge I went in and was "gobsmacked" to see Ester and Abi Ofarim in glorious technicolour singing Cinderella Rockerfella !!!  :blink: !!!

Strange how certain moments stick in your memory forever. :lol:

Now... what was it I had for tea last night ????

One more gem from the memory bank

Remember the Hair Dryer's at Warrington Bath's you had to put a penny in to operate .

So as kids we all stood round sharing the same pennyworth to save money for a "shared " cup of Bovril from the cafeteria.

Blimey we must have been strapped for cash!

Yet it did not enter our minds. In fact we were happy as Sandboy's(Whatever they were ?)