Windows 10 ?

Seems my accidental transfer to WIN10 wasn't so accidental: the delete cross on their pop-up, commits you to the upgrade.

I've always pressed that cross (top right of message) and mines never auto upgraded. 

Saying that over the past 2 weeks I have had two different messages telling me an auto upgrade will happen on a certain date and time and in those cases I've had to click another part then manually change the date or cancel the scheduled upgrade date all together.   I guess if I had just clicked on the X to close those messages then it would have gone ahead.

I've just looked online and some of my older software deffo wont work on Win 10 so despite no way am I upgrading (I was tempted after doing Mr Dizzy's as if he can cope with it anyone can lol) but I'd then have to buy newer versions of my software and I can think of better things to spend a few hundred quid on.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Be careful with upgrades, printers and certain software might not function correctly......or at all. I am running it, pre-installed, on a PC and a laptop, find it very good and better than Windows 7 and 8.

It destroyed my machine at home and had to pay to get it removed!! :(

Blimey, I'm glad you posted that Gary as I was going to update my sons laptop from Windows 7 to 10 today.  Did you go from 7 to 10 or 8 to 10 ?

I was even considering updating mine too EEK with there only being 4 days to go as mines getting a bit sluggish and random (weird that things are going wrong same time as being bombarded with reminders to update eh?) so I though it might give it a new lease of life.  I was then going to buy a new version of the software that I currently have which I know WONT work on Win 8 so wont work on 10 either.

I thought if you didn't like Win 10 you could roll back to whatever you had before within 30 days...but that's no use if it buggers your machine.  What did it do to yours :( 

I went from 7 to 10 on 2 laptops, my son dual boots his MAC with windows 10, I run my business on Windows 10 and upgraded from windows 8.... I don't know what is wrong with everyone... It is a bloody good operating system and everything I use works fine with it including software I have used for 7 or 8 years.... 

I do understand what you are saying Baz and I upgraded my other half from 8 to 10 a few months ago and yes it all works absolutely fine and no problems at all doing it.

I guess if you are not that bothered about something going wrong then it's worth a go as it might be fine but IF it by chance it does cock up my computer I'm completely buggered.

Two of my friends have already upgraded only to find their computer completely buggered and couldn't to roll back to what they had (as Microsoft said people could).  I guess you can only roll back if the upgrade actually works successfully then ?  They had to buy new computers.

I thought maybe they were just being a bit dim and not doing it right re roll back but then when Gary mentioned his and having to pay to get it fixed too I got twitchy again. 

I ran the upgrade checker and it only returned one piece of software on my machine that wont work if I upgrade.  Shows how trustworthy that is as I know for a FACT that my web design software for example WILL NOT work on 8 or 10.  So what else are they missing ?  

Well not much time left for me to make my mind up whether or not to upgrade my lads laptop like I said I would though while he's working away. 

If it cocks up I'd have to throw myself in the canal with lead weights round my ankles before he gets back... unless of course I say that newly adopted 'uncle' Baz from the forum said it would be ok and will buy him another if it all goes t*ts up :lol:

The only reason that I upgraded was as a last resort to fix my old ailing win7 pc

It was a "mess" to be polite.

So I thought here goes .. nothing to lose ,as a new pc was my next option anyway.

Voila !!!

I now have a spot on system again everything works and it is around 4 months now since I upgraded.

Plus I saved myself a good few hundred pounds.

I give win 10 a big thumbs up  8)

If people are worried about upgrading, why not pay someone to do it for you? Martyn who owns the computer shop in the market is a good lad and very capable of doing it for you. I don't understand the reluctance to pay someone a few quid to get it right if you aren't confident.... if your car needs a software update, nobody attempts that themselves; they take it to a garage and let a technician do it for them...

Stop living in the dark ages of windows XP and windows 7 and come into the 21st century....

I'm not scared of computers or lacking the confidence to do it myself.  I've worked with computers since leaving school and nothing about them scares me.  What's the point of paying someone as they'd only click on the same update button and then leave it to run it's update.

What I am scared of is something going wrong like has happened to other people and it completely cocking up my computer and rendering it totally useless and NOT being able to revert back and also losing software that I would then have to re-purchase :(

Gawd......I'm stressing out again now :lol: :lol:

I'm not scared of computers or lacking the confidence to do it myself.  I've worked with computers since leaving school and nothing about them scares me.  What's the point of paying someone as they'd only click on the same update button and then leave it to run it's update.

What I am scared of is something going wrong like has happened to other people and it completely cocking up my computer and rendering it totally useless and NOT being able to revert back and also losing software that I would then have to re-purchase :(

Gawd......I'm stressing out again now :lol: :lol:

Why would you have to repurchase software? If you have the activation codes the chances are you can still download the software and use your own codes... I've done it with a few purchased software packages and never had an issue. Even with one called black magic which colours old photos which must be 8 years old now

Mmm good thinking.  I was presuming that my Photoshop Elements 11 Premiere for example would have to bought new if something went wrong as that version has been superseded many times since I bought and downloaded it on line.  I think it's up to version 14 now.  I shall look to see if I;ve still got my activation code somewhere and if it's still possible to re-download and older version.

I know my web design software version deffo wont work though so that will cost me £100 to buy a later version which is annoying as I don't need the newer version :(

Anyway I'm going to back up all my stuff externally anyway and might be brave and go for it in a few days EEK !!!   Might do my lads first though as he rarely uses his so might not notice for a while if it's buggered  and I could just swear blind I'd not touched it and it must have done it automatically :lol:  :lol: 

Will probably wait for windows 11, X1 or whatever the next version os will be to replace the problematic windows 10 which was to replace the buggy windows 8.1 the update from troublesome windows 8 which was to be the superduper successor to windows 7. (which i have never had a problem with, unlike windows 10)

I used the roll back after mine refused to load windows ten, it had been fine for three days and then it updated and wouldn't load after the update. The only problem i have now is that i have to manually update the windows anti virus that came with my laptop as part of windows. Also for some strange reason it will not install an update for my epson photo programme. desktop has no such problems so in that respect windows ten is just a no for me.

Last night I decided sod it, I'll upgrade to W10 and my plan was to do it tomorrow and my sons W7 laptop.

Very odd as I made my decision because things are suddenly starting to go a bit wonky and have been doing for a few days now.  Mmmm is Microsoft playing games on those of us who have not yet upgraded.
My mouse started double clicking when I did single click,  Outlook 2016 suddenly can't search my emails unless I used advanced search.  Clicking to create an new email gives me an error that some users\user\appdata FORM file is missing or something but if I just close the error I can still create an email.  I cant even clear outlooks forms cache as it gives the same error and tells me to contact my Administrator..... err isn't that me ? Soe other oddities too but I'm probably sounds very boring now.
Very frustration as all my restore points have vanished or I'd just restore back a few weeks.

So anyway......
I've been sorting out my pc today organising folders (gawd talk about having things all over the place lol) and getting rid of crap too so I can do a full but organised backup  to an old external drive I have.  Should have bought a new one really but they cost too much.   I am currently copying one folder which contains 19,874 photo's I've taken...blimey I never knew that many were on here as most are still on all my camera cards :oops::lol: 

I could be a long night......

but now after reading that link maybe I just wont bother upgrading after all from 7 to 10 as they say there's not much benefit :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: