Other Empty Buildings

Milky

... and you wonder why Councillors don't join these discussions?

For the very same reasons that any politicians don't join in discussions that they cannot control; because they are frightened of the people asking awkward questions.

I don't agree with the majority of things that Steve Parish says, I don't follow the party or the politics he represents, but at least the guy is prepared to come here and defend what he believes in. Whether we agree with him or not doesn't matter.... that is democracy and I have full respect for the fact that Steve will stand up for his beliefs.... 

• Upvote 2

Careful wirerob. Just because developers routinely demolish and torch historic buildings if they're not patient enough to let them rot, there's no need to assume the worst. It's all just a terrible coincidence.

Anyway, we are where are and no need to point fingers now. Just get the revised planning application in and off we go. 

• Upvote 1

I admire Steve for posting, although he seems to forget he is supposed to represent these that elected him and should consider that in his views.

I wonder what is going to happen to the town hall once the new offices are built, I supposed it will be redundant? Told it needs a lot of money spent on it to modernize it and there are few features left...

I wonder what is going to happen to the town hall once the new offices are built, I supposed it will be redundant? Told it needs a lot of money spent on it to modernize it and there are few features left...

Unless I'm mistaken it's the staff/departments in the council's ugly grey New Town House that will be going into the new building.

Have you been in the Town Hall though Milky ?  I'm not sure if there's anything wrong with it or if a lot needs spending on it like you say but I went in last year on their Heritage Open Day and it's absolutely stunning inside and there are masses of gorgeous and original features still in here.  If I have time later and can get into my photobucket account I'll start a new topic an upload some of the photo's I took.

Unless I'm mistaken it's the staff/departments in the council's ugly grey New Town House that will be going into the new building.

Have you been in the Town Hall though Milky ?  I'm not sure if there's anything wrong with it or if a lot needs spending on it like you say but I went in last year on their Heritage Open Day and it's absolutely stunning inside and there are masses of gorgeous and original features still in here.  If I have time later and can get into my photobucket account I'll start a new topic an upload some of the photo's I took.

no dizzy not properly, i recall a report a year or two ago maybe more saying it needs updating. I once went into one of the small offices accessed from the side and it was quite ordinary.

maybe i am just confused,

however does it not become redundant once the offices get buil                                                                  

All this talk of shoppers in town centres maybe a sight that will disappear a lot more in years to come with the passing of the shoppers who like to get out & shop being replaced by even more cyber shoppers who will let a telephone & white van man  cater for their needs. Why sit in traffic & pay for parking when everything you need can be brought to your door while you sit there at your computer. As for for replacing shoppers with tourist & leisure trade, there would have to be a great increase in footfall to supply customers for what would need to be a burgeoning cafe culture to replace the empty shops & make the town lively again. Perhaps it is time to start readying Golden Square for its eventual transition to a museum of shopping .

It would be interesting to see what knowledge he has of the history of Bewsey and Whitecross.... seeing as he was neither born there or even lives there and from what I can find, has no connection with the area at all other than being the Labour councillor for the area

I thought I'd steer well clear of this thread as it would get silly but I still get my name taken in vain. I was vicar for two parishes that cover a large part of Bewsey ward, so what do you want to know, Baz? Did you know the vicar of St Paul's Bewsey exchanged his living with the vicar from St Paul's, Derby, in 1863, as his family's health had suffered in Warrington? He and his wife took one son when they left Warrington but they'd had one child stillborn and another son who died at 14 days.

I don't claim to have much influence as a councillor but at least I stopped them calling the new estate on the George Howard scrapyard site "Jockey Bridge Close" (officers thought the bridge nearby was called Jockey Bridge rather than the skew bridge across Winwick Road where the Jockey pub used to stand). Oh, and as one of the early landlords of the Jockey was called Kerfoot, was that coincidence or was Kerfoot Street named after him? And while it's not my ward, I did get the gate pillars to the old Orford Hall put back in their original positions after UU installed new sewage overflow tanks in the park (the original plan had them being put back staggered so not in line with each other).

More?

• Upvote 2

Supported the Urban Splash application to restore it to private residential use, ensuring a sustainable long-term use for a listed building. Others would have had it left derelict waiting for some hypothetical community use.

so you backed giving away the most significant and important building in your ward to an uber wealthy company, for free and your justification for this is that its present owners were letting it fall into a sad state of repair.  That would be you then, WBC.  To make it only fair to poor old, philanthropic Urban Splash you also then backed giving a vast swathe of woodland on Sankey Valley Park to them too with permission to build dozens of flats in ancient woodland.  You really couldn't dream of a better deal if you were a construction company .  Then again they have preserved the heritage for future generations, well they would have done but that medieval paintings on the walls on the top floor were subject to a very tricky preservation order to get around.  Thankfully and most fortuitously for Urban Splash, whilst the building was in their care and just prior to the conversion into flats was due to begin a mystery fire destroyed that awkward old painting allowing them carte blanch on the floor.  You aren't from Bewsey, it is obvious or you would not have supported this disgraceful vandalism of its heritage.

• Upvote 2

I said it would get silly.

1. I wasn't a councillor then.

2. Bewsey Old Hall isn't in Bewsey ward (and if it was, would certainly not have been the most significant and important building in the ward).

3. It wasn't owned by the Council.

I'd have to check but I'm not sure the wall paintings were damaged in the fire.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Bewsey Old Hall isn't in Bewsey ward (and if it was, would certainly not have been the most significant and important building in the ward).

Really??? there is a more significant building in Bewsey than Bewsey Old Hall?.... the answer to this I gotta hear

Blimey all this is getting really odd, silly and confusing now.  I knew I should have gone to bed early tonight :wacko:

So from the above comments have I got this right Steve.......

1) Bewsey Old has wasn't in Bewsey after all and was named wrong as was Bewsey New Hall and all the other 'Bewsey' named things on the older and current maps.

2) Warrington Town Hall is now in Bewsey as I presume is Sankey Street that it sit's on.  Surely not... :lol:

3) and WBC never owned Bewsey Old Hall even though it was bought by Warrington New Town/the council in the 70's?  I wonder how long it was owned by them for and when they actually sold it on, does anyone know?

Have to say I am finding it all rather funny to read though although slightly worrying at the same time.  Best get onto the authors and publishers of all the local history books, maps and things to get them corrected eh ? :lol:

Ahh....I've just realised that you are talking voting 'Wards' Steve rather than actual 'villages or named areas'.  I get it now although rather pointless really as who cares about voting wards and boundaries these days as they are stupid anyway.

Probably no point in me posting this link from the councils website about Bewsey and Bewsey Old Hall now but not to worry :lol:

https://www.warrington.gov.uk/info/201142/local_history_and_heritage/56/history_of_warringtons_villages_and_parishes/2