Our birds are declining, let's stop it now!

Fuglet

In the late winter , me and my girls make our own feeders.  Its an apple with string theaded through as a hanger then we smother it in peanut butter and roll it through nigella seeds.  The goldfinches love it and we always get them.  The male sits at the very top of the large tree at the back of the garden.  I know spring isn'r far off when they turn up.

Brilliant guys! It's really good to hear that you all do some form of feeding as it's what needs to happen if we are to keep our birds round! Yes, we end up with woodpigeons too algy, but we just accept them as something you can't avoid! Stock doves are nice birds that we've had a few times, they look like juvenile woodpigeons so keep an eye out for them on your ground feed!

As much as I would like to feed the birds, my neighbour's cats (about six of them) seem to prefer my garden to their own and as a former cat owner, I'm only too aware of just how many birds they can kill (especially young fledglings.) I'm surprised that cats didn't feature on Fuglets list because I would have put that up near the top given the increasing numbers of pet cats these days. Back in the days of my childhood (Fifties/Sixties) I can't remember any of my neighbours actually having cats or dogs but then again we weren't quite as affluent so it was just pets that didn't cost much to keep.  

Bill :)

I understand that, but given these cats are in the garden all day long because Mrs Muggins constantly feeds them, I don't want to encourage any birds to come here. There are plenty of other people in the area who no doubt will be feeding the birds but where there's a lot less cats about. 

Just thinking about this, could our attempts to help birds by feeding them actually be part of the problem as we're encouraging them to come into areas that puts them at risk ????

Seems we can't do right for doing wrong!

Not me Baz, I'd rather help the birds rather than feed the bloody neighbor's cats for them. 

The point I'm trying to make here is that there are a lot more pet cats about these days than in the past and that by encouraging birds to feed in our gardens, we may unwittingly be adding to their demise.

Yes, completely missed that one off!! They are another top worry, with millions killed each year only in the UK. such a shame some cat ownews are so irresponsible.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a cat owner. Now cats owning humans............that's another story! :lol: :lol:

by encouraging birds to feed in our gardens, we may unwittingly be adding to their demise.

Simply put a bell around your cat's neck, the louder the better to warn the birds of the predator's approach.

If you can't get a loud one, get a really heavy one, this ensures an end to cat-killing-wild-bird misery.

But you missed the bit under the dog that says "Mauls kids to death, shits on parks and anywhere else where kids play and will run away with your kids toys if they don't shew them up first of course"

and under the cat, " Won't bite your kids or spread disease....it has been estimated that a single gram of dog waste can contain 23 million fecal coliform bacteria, which are known to cause cramps, diarrhea, intestinal illness, and serious kidney disorders in humans.

Mans best friend my arse :)

and before the grammar stasii numpties kick off I only copied it :wink:

Wow! now there's an admission :wink::D .

PJ, I'm I little confused (I know not unsual for an old codger like me) you persist in using the word "Stasii", are you refering to what was once known as the East German Secret Police, if so they were known as the "Stasi", the The Ministry for State Security (German: Ministerium für Staatssicherheit, MfS), commonly known as the Stasi (abbreviation German - Staatssicherheit, literally State Security), also State Security Service (German Staatssicherheitsdienst, SSD), was the official state security service of the German Democratic Republic (GDR), or Deutsche Demokratische Republik (DDR), colloquially known as East Germany.

Just thought I would metion it as I know you are a perfectionist!. :wink::D

PJ, I'm I little confused (I know not unsual for an old codger like me) you persist in using the word "Stasii", are you refering to what was once known as the East German Secret Police, if so they were known as the "Stasi", the The Ministry for State Security (German: Ministerium für Staatssicherheit, MfS), commonly known as the Stasi (abbreviation German - Staatssicherheit, literally State Security), also State Security Service (German Staatssicherheitsdienst, SSD), was the official state security service of the German Democratic Republic (GDR), or Deutsche Demokratische Republik (DDR), colloquially known as East Germany.

Well I never knew that  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Ok guys, can we remember that this thread is bird orientated and not dog/cat! the photo was just a bit of - very good - humour and doesn't need to be scientifically analysed unlike the subject matter!

If we could please all leave the current subject behind us and turn our heads to the task at hand, that would be greatly appreciated!

Now, here are the results from the RSPB's latest 'Big Garden Birdwatch'.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdwatch/results.aspx