Obamas' policies ?

observer

Been watching the Presidential debates and neither candidate appears to outshine the other, both are mud slinging about their "records", with no original vision for the future backed by practical detail of how they're going to achieve it. :roll: What also struck me, is their arrogance in unilateraly pursueing US interests globally, without any reference to the UN - so more of the same I guess. :shock::wink:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can laugh from your armchair. Maybe if people weren't such greedy pigs in the first place the boom and bust business would be out of business! There's also a cynical part of me which wonders if the UK and US Governments didn't deliberately contrive this mess to gain control of the banks. I predicted when our Govt took over Northern Rock that this was their plan to control all our finances. And sure enough, now we have nationalisation. All part of the scheme of dictatorship that Brown is brewing. And the mugs in the world of finance have laid down to let this happen due to their greed and learning NOTHING from the Wall Street Crash.

Of course, tyrannical, corrupt, uncaring Governments and economic collapses are part of the panoply of Providential tactics God uses to discipline the greedy and punish nations for selfishly hogging His blessings while rejecting Him as their spiritual leader, as well as threats like Islamic extremism and the Chinese Government. (See for example the Fall of Babylon in Revelation 18.)

Personally if people exercised less greed, more altruism, less reckless financial speculation, more common sense, then Divine intervention one way or the other will not be needed.

Here's some sound economic advice:

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and dust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart will be also." Jesus of Nazareth, Matthew 6:19-21 :wink:

Well there's a great conspiracy theory: a Ultra-right wing Republican US administration and a pseudo-Tory New Labour Government conspiring to impliment Clause IV of the old Labour Constitution, by seizing control of the commanding heights of the economy - errm, so greed and incompetance in an immoral system had nothing to do with it?! :roll::wink:

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and dust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart will be also." Jesus of Nazareth, Matthew 6:19-21

That is a very good quote to live by.

Here's a slightly tougher restating of the principle:

"Someone ins the crowd said to him, "Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me." Jesus replied, "Man, who appointed me a judge or arbiter between you?" Then he said to the crowd: "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." And this was followed up by the Parable of the Rich Fool. Which is the last I shall say about that.

Apparently McCain has made so many mistakes lately, including a bizarre outburst about Obama being a terrorist or something. Looks like the White House will be Obama's property very soon. Let's hope the man has sense, though anyone after Bush Jr. is a genius. Except for, except for, all too many! :lol::P

What planet are you on, Obbs? I said that greed, incompetence and corruption etc. are causing it- I would say if there is a conspiracy then the conspiracy itself is an act of greed, incompetence and corruption! :roll:

THIS IS AN AMUSING STORY - THE MAN WAS PICKED BY MCCAIN TO MAKE OBAMA'S ECONMIC POLICIES LOOK BAD - THE PROBLEM IS THAT HE DIDN'T INSTEAD HE MAKES MCCAIN LOOK LIKE AN OLD FOOL!

Joe the Plumber's story sprang a few leaks Thursday. Turns out that the man who was held up by John McCain as the typical, hard-working American taxpayer isn't really a licensed plumber. And court documents show he owes nearly $1,200 in back taxes.

"Joe," whose name is Samuel J. Wurzelbacher, was cited repeatedly in Wednesday night's final presidential debate by McCain for questioning Barack Obama's tax policy.

Wurzelbacher instantly became a media celebrity, fielding calls during the debate and facing reporters outside his home near Toledo on Thursday morning for an impromptu nationally televised news conference.

The burly, bald man acknowledged he doesn't have a plumber's license, but said he didn't need one because he works for someone else at a company that does residential work.

But Wurzelbacher still would need to be a licensed apprentice or journeyman to work in Toledo, and he's not, said David Golis, manager and residential building official for the Toledo Division of Building Inspection.

State and local records show Wurzelbacher has no license, although his employer does. Golis said there are no records of inspectors citing Wurzelbacher for unlicensed work in Toledo.

And then there was the matter of his taxes.

Wurzelbacher owes the state of Ohio $1,182.98 in personal income tax, according to Lucas County Court of Common Pleas records.

In January 2007, Ohio's Department of Taxation filed a claim on his property until he pays the debt, according to the records. The lien remains active.

At the debate, McCain cited Wurzelbacher as an example of someone who wants to buy a plumbing business but would be hurt by Obama's tax plans.

Wurzelbacher, a self-described conservative, had spoken to Obama at a rally Sunday near his home and asked him whether his tax plan would keep him from buying the business that currently employs him, which earns more than $250,000 a year.

"Your new tax plan is going to tax me more, isn't it?" Wurzelbacher asked.

Obama said that under his proposal taxes on any revenue from $250,000 on down would stay the same, but that amounts above that level would be subject to a 39 percent tax, instead of the current 36 percent rate.

McCain said Obama's plan would stop entrepreneurs such as Wurzelbacher from investing in new small businesses and keep existing ones from growing.

Wurzelbacher had a deal with a clog of two dozen reporters outside his home on a narrow street lined with ranch- and split-level homes Thursday morning. No detail about the divorced father of a 13-year-old boy was too small: Was he a registered voter? Did he have a plumbing license? Whom will he vote for?

Leaning against his black Dodge Durango SUV, Wurzelbacher at first was amused by it all, then overwhelmed and finally a little annoyed.

"I don't have a lot of pull. It's not like I'm Matt Damon," he said "I just hope I'm not making too much of a fool of myself."

He indicated he was a fan of the military and McCain but wouldn't say who will get his vote. He is registered as a Republican, the county elections board said, because he voted in the GOP primary in March.

Wurzelbacher said a McCain campaign official contacted him several days before the debate to ask him to appear with the candidate at a Toledo rally scheduled for Sunday.

Well it seems Palin has proved to be a liability for McCain, with her lack of knowledge gaffs, "troopergate" and spending on clothes during a recession. :roll: So I guess, if white voters are to be believed, Obama should walk it - but I can't help wondering how long he will live if he does?! :shock::cry: Despite the US Constitution declaring that "All men are created equal", it took 100 years (plus a civil war) for black Americans to gain their freedom from slavery, and another 100 years for them to secure their freedom from segregation. :shock::wink:

U.S Constitution: whilst supporting the broad principle of the seperation of powers of the Executive, Legislature and Judicery; I was surprised (having been following the current Presidential election), that the President is not directly elected "by the people", but by an electoral college elected by the people. :shock: This means that a Candidate could win a majority of the National popular vote, yet still not win the Presidency. :shock: It seems to be a device designed to protect the interests of smaller States against an electoral monopoly by the larger populated States - however, it does seem convoluted and distinctley un-democratic. :?:wink:

Errm, well ours is no better, and certainly even less transparent: first past the post elections = victory on less than 50% of the vote: Upper House stuffed with Party time servers and geriatrics, and now highly supect spivs: and no clear distinction between the executive - legislature and judicery, thus no checks and balances: a Privy Council out of the middle ages: and, as some dispossesed Islanders from Diegio Garcia have just learned; a "Royal Perogative" which allows the Courts to be over-ruled - an historic anarchronism, and certainly not democracy. :roll::wink:

Hence this is why BUSH got in instead of Al Gore - cause he won the popular vote - but not by enough to call for a re-vote.

I hate the electoral college - but we have it. It is supposed to be based on the primary elections - but I want it abolished!