China syndrome !

observer

Which other countries are providing financial propping up for their steel industries Coffee?  I know India is struggling badly because of the crisis.  We , as a country, can't afford to keep open heavy loss making steel foundries and all the other associated ancillary industries too, indefinitely merely to preserve the skill sets.  This has been done to death on the other steel thread.  

There was a guy from the steel industry saying it is much cheaper to produce steel in Germany then in the UK because of cheaper energy (50% cheaper) and rates, so Germany for a start. Redcar steel paid £15 million in business rates every year, local council looked to wave this charge for a couple of years but was told it was illegal for them to do so.

So we renationalise the steel industry and subsidise it to the tune of billions of pounds indefinitely.  How do we afford that.  We would also need to re nationalise and subsidise the power companies, then the water companies, re open and nationalise a coal mine or 10.  Good luck getting the Tories on board with any of that lol.

Welll we pumped billions into the banks and could afford that!!! Point out that it costs an average of £20,000 to keep an individual on benefits, redcar lost 1700 jobs plus loss of taxes. Then there is the loss of directly additional jobs, plus indirectly lost jobs and businesses. Soon adds up.

Think your pedantic nonsense doesn't seem to recognise that products can be made in Britain, even if the Company is foreign owned.  :roll:

Why can't UK own things. Why can German, Italians, French build and own car manufacturing for example but UK can only build foreign owned cars

So come on Observer, so that folk know you aren't a hypocrite, your car, pc, telly,fridge, where were they made?

Car is German, so is my Fridge and laptop, TV is Spanish, washing machine Korean.

It actually bothers me when I try and buy something expensive and find it has been put together cheaply in China or Vietnam for 50p. Sadly sometimes I can not avoid it, health fryer, tablet and phone are alll made in China, bought the phone thinking it was made in Finland but apparently no more

yes they are  all foreign owned,  Except Morgan and at a push McClaren and Caterham. So you always buy Btitish my arse.

Don't forget TVR - my father had one, cool car,  as the heater did not work

And Aston Martin that is owned by David Richards, saving up for one

Don't forget TVR - my father had one, cool car,  as the heater did not work

And Aston Martin that is owned by David Richards, saving up for one

I didn't,  Aston Martin are owned by a multinational investment group (David Richards resigned some years back)  and TVR haven't made a car since 2005.

1There was a guy from the steel industry saying it is much cheaper to produce steel in Germany then in the UK because of cheaper energy (50% cheaper) and rates, so Germany for a start. Redcar steel paid £15 million in business rates every year, local council looked to wave this charge for a couple of years but was told it was illegal for them to do so.

2 Welll we pumped billions into the banks and could afford that!!! Point out that it costs an average of £20,000 to keep an individual on benefits, redcar lost 1700 jobs plus loss of taxes. Then there is the loss of directly additional jobs, plus indirectly lost jobs and businesses. Soon adds up.

3 Why can't UK own things. Why can German, Italians, French build and own car manufacturing for example but UK can only build foreign owned cars

4 Car is German, so is my Fridge and laptop, TV is Spanish, washing machine Korean.

5 It actually bothers me when I try and buy something expensive and find it has been put together cheaply in China or Vietnam for 50p. Sadly sometimes I can not avoid it, health fryer, tablet and phone are alll made in China, bought the phone thinking it was made in Finland but apparently no more

1 Energy is not 50% cheaper in Germany than the UK, although it is too high here I agree.

2 Bailing out the banks is having a catastrophic affect on the country with the least able having to bear a proportionality  higher burden of this Governments savage cuts in the name of austerity.

3 We do

4 So What?

5 Thats globalisation and you are also buying into the myth that British manufactured goods are higher quality than from anywhere else.

In a way though we should be grateful that much of our consumer goods is manufactured abroad because a lot of it is now much cheaper than if it had been made in Britain.It isn't that long ago when even a paint brush had to be cleaned & put away carefully because the cost of replacing it in relation to wages was pretty off putting. Nowadays,electrical goods ,household goods & many other imported items ,even some cars, are pretty low down on the cost of living scale,which is good considering the high cost essentials that we all need to pay for....energy,road fuel, food, household expenses especially if renting.

Ever heard of multi-national companies ? They may have had national origins, but the reality is they only have corporate self interests, not national ones; so ownership isn't an issue.

So why are you whining about China making a profit by building infrastructure here?  Come on, what do you buy thats British? Its not your car, its not you electrical goods, its not even purely British gas and electricity or petrol.  You probably buy a few bits from the supermarket and feel you have done your bit.  Ever hear of Globalisation and international economics?  

My Corsair was made in Britain.... granted it was made 50 years ago.... Granada was made in Germany although the earlier ones were made in Dagenham....the later ones were acknowledged as being the best apparently because they didn't suffer at the hands of the lefty striking unions 

Surprisingly it took the complete annihilation of the traditional British car industry and the removal of the powerful unions to make us realise that we can make good cars in the UK..... sadly it was after the loss of Rover, Austin, Morris, British Leyland and the likes

Multi-National Companies owe allegiance to NO Country, just to their share-holders; so the nationality of their products is an irrelevance - just where and who makes them.

Surely that can be said about any Company.  So you welcome foreign investment now then?

I didn't,  Aston Martin are owned by a multinational investment group (David Richards resigned some years back)  and TVR haven't made a car since 2005.

I am sad now, :cry: partly because PJ is right and Aston Martin isn't British any more :cry:  but mostly because I have to admit PJ is right :cry: :cry: :cry:

However PJ new TVR due next year, new owners British !!!

1 Energy is not 50% cheaper in Germany than the UK, although it is too high here I agree.

2 Bailing out the banks is having a catastrophic affect on the country with the least able having to bear a proportionality  higher burden of this Governments savage cuts in the name of austerity.

3 We do

4 So What?

5 Thats globalisation and you are also buying into the myth that British manufactured goods are higher quality than from anywhere else.

2. OK, but that does not mean it is never the right thing to do.

3. Not enough

4. Because in order not to be a third world country we need industry, why do you think Germany is doing so much betterthen UK for example, why are China, India and other countries working so hard to establish their own companies if it is unimportant to own your own industry. You end up sucking up to countries like China begging for investment.

5. No

i OK, so how much do Germany steel companies pay for energy compared with Redcar? I do not know, that was the claim of a spokesman for the steel industry, the business corespondent said this is so, I don't know.

Energy in Germany costs more than in the UK!!!!!

See above.

In a way though we should be grateful that much of our consumer goods is manufactured abroad because a lot of it is now much cheaper than if it had been made in Britain.It isn't that long ago when even a paint brush had to be cleaned & put away carefully

Was that so wrong. A lot of saving is down to more efficient manufacturing. By the time you shipped the stuff and take stock increase in consideration offten the savings are not huge. It was becoming very expensive to ship stuff from Chine although recent fall in fuel prices have made it cheaper again

I am sad now, :cry: partly because PJ is right and Aston Martin isn't British any more :cry:  but mostly because I have to admit PJ is right :cry: :cry: :cry:

However PJ new TVR due next year, new owners British !!!

Of course I am right :wink:  I wouldn't be in any rush to pay the deposit to TVR on their promised new car, they have been promising new cars for years.  I really hope it works out though.

Was that so wrong. A lot of saving is down to more efficient manufacturing. By the time you shipped the stuff and take stock increase in consideration offten the savings are not huge. It was becoming very expensive to ship stuff from Chine although recent fall in fuel prices have made it cheaper again

The problems which have devastated the British steel industry are manyfold.  For example, if we ignore the fact that there is a global glut of steel on the market due mainly to Chinese production,  The home market has shrunk dramatically since the Bank crash.  Britain has very little iron ore production so needs to import it at a cost.  Britain also needs to import coke for smelting at a cost.  British workers earn higher wages than a lot of their competitors.  Enrgy costs are higher here than some of Britains competitors as are business rates.  The strong pound makes exporting more difficult as it makes Britains product more expensive.  

• Downvote 1

Well apart from the chiminea or whatever it was called....TVR's were generally rubbish. Far too expensive when you consider you could buy other, more reliable sports cars that weren't made out of plastic

They look nice though and have seen quite a few at the shows I attend and sat in a couple and had a spin or two.... still not convinced they were any good though :)