China syndrome !

observer

The Boxer Rebellion was a culmination of reaction against foreign interference in China, which began with the Opium Wars; so the cause existed throughout the 19th Century.

That's always been my understanding of it all too Obs ie all stemmed from the Opium Wars which started in 1839. 

I just googled in case I was thinking of something else and found this which is interesting and explains it in easy terms.

http://www.history.com/topics/boxer-rebellion

Am I missing something here? We have to pay £Billions to be part of the EU, allegedly so that we can sell our goods in the EU market. As far as I know China isn't a member of the EU and so doesn't have to pay a membership fee, however China is able to sell all the steel it wants to the EU at low low prices. Could one of our EU apologists please explain?

• Upvote 1

Am I missing something here? We have to pay £Billions to be part of the EU, allegedly so that we can sell our goods in the EU market. As far as I know China isn't a member of the EU and so doesn't have to pay a membership fee, however China is able to sell all the steel it wants to the EU at low low prices. Could one of our EU apologists please explain?

I suggest you contact Paul Nuttall to see what he is doing Asperity or at least to explain the details.

http://www.paulnuttallmep.com

Yes exactly. Why?? Can you explain it PJ? Why does the UK have to pay the EU £Billions every year for the privilege of trading with the EU (allegedly) while a non EU contributor like China can dump it's excess production on us? Come on, it's not a difficult question. You're one of the people blaming the Chinese dumping of steel on the world market for the demise of the British steel plants (while ignoring the British governments idiotic green policies).

You should be asking yourself why the penny hasn't dropped PJ. You can't keep blaming the tories forever while ignoring the 13 years of labour government and the EUSSR. The time has come for reality to kick in and to admit that the EU and green policies have been a massive mistake and to take back control of our country's future. And to try and portray Cameron as a tory just shows your delusion.

So Cameron isn't a Tory?  That your deluded way of attempting to absolve your party of choice from any blame for the disgusting policies being perpetrated on the least able to cope in this country?  Newsflash, Labour haven't been in power for over 5 years, the jobs are being lost now.

but no one has explained yet why China is being allowed to dump their steel onto the European market and thus making the foreign owned steel companies in the UK close down. I thought that was why we were in the EU; to protect jobs and make trade between the EU countries easier and cheaper and then to add tarriffs to anyone from outside selling into the EU...

Does this mean we could still trade with the EU if we were outside it then???? Shock Horror... that'll put the cat amongst the pigeons now! :)

How do you intend to stop them?

Isn't that what the EU is supposed to do? Look after us all in a little fluffy bubble, protect our human rights to work until we die and protect our borders.... oh hang on a minute.... I can see a flaw in this :)

Ah, its the EU's fault.  Too easy.

so if the EU is not at fault, how are China able to dump all their excess steel on the European markets? why aren't they charged these tariffs that the pro-EU lot have been claiming will make trading with Europe if we are outside of the club impossible or too expensive?

Very Easy 

It would seem that "the rules" as set by the WTO and EU; State Aid cannot be used to subsidise one's industries, in order to undercut foreign competition - it seems no one has told this to the Chinese, or rather they've taken no notice of it anyway. Those who promote the idea of a "global economy", appear to accept that this will inevitably lead to the demise of heavy industry in the Western World, simply because of cheaper Third World Labour. The problem is of course, once a steel plant shuts down, it's lost forever and the jobs and ancillary jobs, and the local community that go with it; as with the Mining communities; creating a loss of skills and more benefit dependency. At the end of the day, global "competition" is by it's very nature not fair competition, when cheaper labour is available. So, if we wish to compete on present terms, our workforce would need to adopt Asian pay rates, which some would argue we are in the process of doing. The reality is that each and every Nation in the World naturally looks after it's own interests and the interests of it's people first, with the possible exception of the UK.