Plans, what plans?

Evil Sid

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2015/09/23/market-hall-plans-held-up/

Now it may be me but surely if you are planning major building work you would have looked at the plans before commencing work on the site.

I find it almost amazing (well It is warrington council hence the almost) that they have only now looked at the plans for the temporary market hall. this project has been in the pipeline for a few years. Why is it only now that work to clear the site is well under way have the council decided that the plans are (insert word/words of choice) and have rejected them causing delay to the project.

I always thought the process was draw up the proposal and get it approved. draw up the plans and get them approved, start work on the project.

remind me next time i get an invite from the council to tour a brewery not accept.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2015/09/23/market-hall-plans-held-up/

Now it may be me but surely if you are planning major building work you would have looked at the plans before commencing work on the site.

I find it almost amazing (well It is warrington council hence the almost) that they have only now looked at the plans for the temporary market hall. this project has been in the pipeline for a few years. Why is it only now that work to clear the site is well under way have the council decided that the plans are (insert word/words of choice) and have rejected them causing delay to the project.

I always thought the process was draw up the proposal and get it approved. draw up the plans and get them approved, start work on the project.

remind me next time i get an invite from the council to tour a brewery not accept.

It already had outline consent. This was just reserved matters on detail design.

It's a Council scheme but committee members aren't there as rubber-stampers - you'd complain if the Council could guarantee its own planning applications would go through without a hitch. It was the back of the new building (facing a service road and the back of the Friends Meeting House) that they didn't like, because it was just a solid brick wall. Easy to add some detail, but we have a precedent in the Garnett cabinet works - with a 50' high solid brick wall facing Cairo Street Unitarian church... 

As for Boots, after years of hoping for an alternative use, the scheme means we retain the facade and it eventually becomes the new market. The market in the meantime moves into the new building (the one knocked back by the committee) then the old market can be demolished for the new council offices, so the Council can leave New Town House (which is leased). What happens to NTH remains to be seen. The temporary market building is then available for retail outlets.

Outline consent to build ok but surely the plans should have been drawn up and approved prior that. otherwise how could consent be given.

If you are seeking to build a house you must have the plans approved prior to work starting surely. ok so you get permission to build a house on the land and can start to clear the site but then you must have to get the plans drawn up and approved first. it is not a case of i am going to build a house and then put up a six storey mansion as part of those plans (especially in this computer aided design age) would surely include an "artist impression" of what it should look like and at that stage objections to the design stated.

or am i being a bit too naive here?

As for the brick wall maybe a paint job with a mural depicting warringtons fine heritage would brighten it up.

I personally would not complain about the councils projects,having run a project office for a few years, i know that nothng ever go's to plan or on time for that matter and very very rarely to budget.