New Street Lights... Good or Bad ?

Dizzy

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's quicker and easier to replace with brand new rather than having to rewire all the old ones and try to attach the new tops as a lot of old ones were different styles and shapes too.

We've got ours now and everywhere seemed really bright and white at first but it seems to have dimmed a little over the past week. 

I can't make my mind up if they are better or worse light wise now so I guess that is good.

My dads drive has been plunged into complete darkness since they changed the ones down his road though as the light is on the other side of the road from his house and the light doesn't travel as far as it used to with the old ones. 

Most of the ones round here were all already metal poles although there are a couple of concrete ones dotted about here and there.

The new ones down our road are virtually the same height as the old ones but I can see how it would have been hard to just change the top bit.

Call me sad but I took a photo of the new near mine with the old one still along side it.... they have taken the old one away now though  :lol: 

lamp%20post%201.jpg

And even worse than me taking a photo of that I also took a photo down the hole to see if I could spot any Roman remains :lol: .... and some pics of the crane putting the new poles in the holes...and then taking down the old one and cutting it up a week later. 

Shall I upload them ?  Probably not......

What was it Gary said on another topic earlier about the first signs of madness...... :lol:

Most of the ones round here were all already metal poles although there are a couple of concrete ones dotted about here and there.

The new ones down our road are virtually the same height as the old ones but I can see how it would have been hard to just change the top bit.

Call me sad but I took a photo of the new near mine with the old one still along side it.... they have taken the old one away now though  :lol: 

lamp%20post%201.jpg

Love your pics Dizzy, was goingto take one or two myself but could be bothered to stop when I was in my car, I later took a walk but they finished.

I am sure the lights could be engineered to fit the posts that were in situ.

Love your pics Dizzy, was going to take one or two myself but could be bothered to stop when I was in my car, I later took a walk but they finished.

I am sure the lights could be engineered to fit the posts that were in situ.

Yes they probably could have been engineered to fit but I'm guessing that would have cost more and been more time consuming to actually do the job too.

I'm glad they've replaced the whole things really though and not just stuck new tops on the old posts as many of the posts round here were rusty and scruffy looking anyway like you can see in my pics.  Now they all look neat and uniform.

Credit where credits due too, the various teams that did each stage of the replacement works on our long road did it very methodically and there was hardly any disruption or mess at all.