Nostalgia

Stallard12

Just a wild thought based on Dizzy's (and mine) claim that the baths should never have been demolished.   As the Forum has proved, lots of folk love the photos of old Warrington from the turn of the twentieth century, well how cool would it be if most of it was unchanged and you could walk through it every day?   Here's my crazy idea, pass a law that, say a square mile in the center of every town and city could never be touched.  circling traffic around would probably be a benefit.  House remodelers renovate 16th century and Victorian properties every day, so why not do it to a whole town center.   A hundred years from now, folk would still be able to see how their town used to be in their grandfather's time.  I know that basically historic centers do that anyhow, but why not do it for all places, warts and all?   I appreciate all the problems involved, I'll leacve it to others to work out the details, but I know that I wish that it had been that way in 1900.

I don't get the cake pic :blink:

Gary I thought the local Civic Society group had already re-launced.

Stallard sounds like a great idea and yes it would have been fab if people had done that years ago.  So much has already been changed and lost though but then again we do still have some lovely old building left especially in the town center and hope they never go.  It would be lovely if the ones all along Bridge Street and the street itself was put back to how it used to be in the 1900's with all the lovely ground floor shop fronts rather than the tacky modern frontages they have now.     

• Upvote 1

Just a wild thought based on Dizzy's (and mine) claim that the baths should never have been demolished.   As the Forum has proved, lots of folk love the photos of old Warrington from the turn of the twentieth century, well how cool would it be if most of it was unchanged and you could walk through it every day?   Here's my crazy idea, pass a law that, say a square mile in the center of every town and city could never be touched.  circling traffic around would probably be a benefit.  House remodelers renovate 16th century and Victorian properties every day, so why not do it to a whole town center.   A hundred years from now, folk would still be able to see how their town used to be in their grandfather's time.  I know that basically historic centers do that anyhow, but why not do it for all places, warts and all?   I appreciate all the problems involved, I'll leacve it to others to work out the details, but I know that I wish that it had been that way in 1900.

seems I'm not the only one who thinks its crazy.