One less bridge in Warrington...

Dizzy

Yes they have Baz but what's that got to do with an idiot in a articulated lorry who can't see the point in stopping when he realises he's too big and long to get over a tiny bridge... unless of course he'd forgotten he was driving that and thought he was in a corsair :lol::P

• Upvote 1

It's not just a bridge it's a listed bridge and part of our heritage and the cultural identity you seem in other posts to be so keen to preserve Baz. 

Our listed buildings are a visual reminder of our ancestors and the quality of their workmanship and the ethos that made Britain once a great nation.

Would you really back those who would wipe the ancient landscape clean and replace our beautiful historic buildings with cheap thrown up tack.

Destroy all our heritage and before long we won't know if we are living in Britain or Hong Kong! 

Re the driver and the road signs - it wouldn't matter if there were no road signs at all he should have had the wit to know he wouldn't be able to get over that bridge without great risk. Too idle to back up would be my guess. He should have the book thrown at him.

How about making him dive into the canal, retrieve every single brick and fully rebuild / restore the bridge?  (That's after he's served a jail sentence.)   

• Upvote 2

Don't use fairy liquid in your mortar mix, its not good.  Use a proper mortar plasticiser it is good.  Use Fairy liquid in the sink for hands that do dishes.

It will need lime mortar. https://www.waterways.org.uk/wrg/volunteer/building_bridges/repointing_a_canal_bridge

There is a road sign (official) in Shropshire off the A442 to a ferry over the Severn that says "Pedestrian Ferry only - SatNav error"

I often get accused of not trying to come up with solutions on here and for a good reason, most of the so called solutions in here tend to be bonkers ???????????? that said how about this. Compulsory purchase the caravan park land and build a proper bridge to service deliveries into the Hall and Golf course. Two birds with one stone

"Compulsory purchase the caravan park land and build a proper bridge to service deliveries into the Hall and Golf course."

Now where have we heard that proposal before?

"Two birds with one stone" ................or.........one lorry, two objectives?

Similar thing happened in another part of the country - (and the damage looked even worse) - they were forced to restore the bridge.

No you misunderstand I think??, I would like to keep the old bridge, it's beautiful and this town has seen the wanton destruction of too much of it's historic buildings in my view. Bar all large vehicles from the hopefully restored bridge but build a new one where the caravan park is now that is suitable for delivery wagons etc.

I do hope the bridge is replaced quicker than the one over the Sankey canal which was wrecked by an overweight vehicle in 2013.

The temporary (if being concreted in can be called temporary) bridge which was brought in to allow access to the businesses on the far side is still there, since I assume it's being hired I wonder what that's costing us?

Better access was desired to that business park before the old bridge got accidentally destroyed wasn't it?

As to cost, haven't the owners of the original got out of paying for the replacement?

I believe that the council adopted responsibility for the bridge from whoever owned it, with the business park cut off it rather forced their hand.

The old bridge seems to have served well enough until the weight limit was flouted once too often, the promised new one, which was due to be started last October I'm told, will be a swinging one to allow boat traffic along the canal again if it's ever dredged, so it's better in that way.

PJ, glad to hear you are a supporter of restoring the historic bridge.

At the time of the "Contessa Affair"  better access to the back of Walton Hall was being considered. I believe widening the road with 'the splash'  or cutting through the field by Rosewood wood yard was considered but was 'expensive' and access onto the dual carriageway would be difficult. Also cutting into the Hall's grounds at the crossroads and building an access road would use up valuable space and also be expensive. 

It was due to these problems regarding alternative access that suggestions to replace the hump back bridge were made - and opposed by locals.

Weren't there also plans for a type of marina where the caravan site is?

freeborn John;

Ah.........!, to allow boat traffic along the canal.   Who would want to move stuff up and down that canal?

Pretty damm generous of WBC  who can't afford to pay for public services to offer to pay for a new bridge - didn't the owner have insurance? or perhaps the insurance didn't cover that type of accident?

freeborn John;

Ah.........!, to allow boat traffic along the canal.   Who would want to move stuff up and down that canal?

Pretty damm generous of WBC  who can't afford to pay for public services to offer to pay for a new bridge - didn't the owner have insurance? or perhaps the insurance didn't cover that type of accident?

I have a source who is close to the seat of power in Penketh, the parish council (they have their own swimming pool you know), I'll enquire.

Thanks John, it would be interesting to know. 

I've been directed to the WBC website, there's a report on the Marsh House Bridge project as it's officially known.

www.warrington.gov.uk/news/article/1484/marsh_house_bridge_project here's my attempt at a link.

The article is a bit vague about why the council took over responsibility, it states that it 'chose to get involved', whatever that means.