Warrington School League tables

Gary

Time to scrap league tables?   Don't they just reinforce differing attainment levels?  Pushy parents trying to get little Jonny in "the best school", may move house or change their religion; thus dragging more pupils and teachers to them; ensuring that the "bog standard" ones remain bog standard. Don't we have the right to expect that every school is of an acceptable high standard, so that folk can happily send their kids to the nearest one?

• Upvote 2

you probably need to increase the salary substantially to attracte better people into teaching

You also need to make schools more fun

I think teachers are relatively very well paid and if you work it out pro rata they are even better paid. So what better people are sat on their thumbs with all their teaching qualifications and experience just waiting for the salary levels to reach their perceived self value?

As for more fun what do you want party poppers in the staff room every Friday?

• Upvote 1

Not sure teaching will improve until discipline is returned to schools. As for better paid teachers I think the reverse will happen. As more and more Academies are introduced you will find that salaries are guaranteed for the first 2 years only, then heads can freely ask teachers to 'reapply' for their jobs at a much lower rate. as seems to have happened at an Academy in Runcorn.

My sister teaches in collage and she puts in a lot of extra hours doing the paper work and planning lessons, I guess it is the same at school.

As for more fun what do you want party poppers in the staff room every Friday?

No but at collage they give you free periods to unwind between lessons

I had a friend who went to school in Sweden for a while and they broke the day up by having things like dance or sport in between heavy lessons

the secondary schools I went to seemed more concerned with rules then teaching. School was tough, recall having to sit silently through days like double English, followed by double maths and by the time I got into double French my mind would not take it anymore. No wonder I can not speak a word of French as it was spent most of the lesson looking through the window or at my watch waiting for 15:45 and I could have that cigarette that was in the bottom of the bag. Science was another ;lesson that usually was the last lesson of the day, although some days we did experiments so it was fun occasionally.

We had a maths teacher for a while that made maths interesting as he was always involving the class not just teaching, doing puzzles and quizzes not always about maths.

There were fun subjects too like games (tennis, volleyball, hockey) but that was only two hours per week.

They manage to teach in most of the world without imposing uniforms but UK teachers and not capable of teaching unless the correct uniform is worn

How do you develop a thirst for knowledge amongst a generation that think they know it all ?  If you know the answer, perhaps you should be teaching?!

WAs you like that at school, anything changed? :)

Singing and dancing Coff?  That'll equip them to meet the challenges of global economic competition !

Funny you should say that:

"Previously appointed an MBE for services to science communication, Mr Spencer uses unorthodox approaches to convey his lessons, including song and dance, role-play and learning games."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-31386576