50 - 50 !

observer

But the bigger the jackpot the more tickets that sell , the more tickets that sell the more money that good causes get.  You see this when there is a multiple roll over and the queues at the lottery stands get huge.  Human greed is a great motivator,  the 6 million quid wasn't worth buying a ticket for but 20 million I'm in lol

Do you mean A and E?  If so that is a priority, many NHS expenditures are not.  Seems you agreed last week, another flip flop?

The last news item I saw, said a survey at one A&E, showed 30% were there with trivial, non-urgent issues.  For contagious problems, like flu; the last place to go is a crowded A&E, or even a GPs surgery for that matter; perhaps more advice over the phone could relieve some pressure?

I would agree, that mis-spends exist (depending on one's point of view); that's why I think there's a need for a public conversation as to just what the extent of the NHS should be. Should it for example; provide sex change operations, IVF, cosmetic surgery, joint replacements with a lifespan of 15 years to 90 year olds? Should proof of contributions be a requirement for treatment, and should all funding be based on NI contributions? And perhaps most importantly; should politicians be kept totally out of using it as a political football, by making it an arms length organisation, run by independent clinicians? Then of course, there's the question of complementary services such as elderly care, or preventative medicine,. and whether some degree of integration is required?

:lol:   Think most of us have discerned the nonsense nature of current funding, which allows the politicians to play games

Still maintain that position; but I doubt such areas of savings will cover the huge costs associated with an aging demographic; which are not just an NHS issue but includes Social Services too. Bedblocking occurs when there's nowhere to send elderly patients, and this (as we've seen) backs up to A&E. Havn't we strayed into NHS, from the wealth gap?!  :|

Perhaps because of this ?

The lottery is an example of the obscene nature of distribution; huge top prizes; rather than having say a top limit of a £million and more pay out lower down. As for taxing it, fine; but if that tax was ring fenced, say for the NHS, it might be better.

http://www.undp.org/content/dam/undp/library/MDG/english/UNDP_MDGReport_EN_2014Final1.pdf

Here you go Fugs.

Hmm, and yet...

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/super-rich-make-415m-a-day-as-poor-get-poorer-1-3588270

If things are getting a little better for some of the very poorest then I'm glad to hear it, but it isn't all the world's poor and it won't stop the divide getting bigger.

From my link, the cheif economist of the BoE says:

“There is rising evidence that extreme inequality harms, durably and significantly, the stability of the financial system and growth in the economy.”, which is pretty much what I've been saying here.

But what does he know eh?

Ah yes, Oxfam. That super rich "charity" which pays it's top executives what many would call obscene salaries, is looking for new ways to twang people's heart strings into giving them more money, and has hit upon wealth inequality as the way to go. And combine this with a friendly economist giving his opinion with the catchall "there is rising evidence".

• Upvote 1