Vandals Strike AGAIN - Ackers Pit

Dizzy

Hi, let me introduce myself..... I am Freds Grandaughter.... And just to clarify.... Yes his family are reading all comments.... Thank you to those of you supporting trying to find the thugs who disrespectfully pulled out.... Dragged and through my Grandads memorial bench into ackers pit water... Just before his birthday of which would have been tomorrow.... To those of you who felt the need to judge Fred without knowing and assuming things about Fred... Please keep your thoughtless opinions to yourself.... Fred hurt nobody... And let me tell you he was always the upmost gentleman... If only this generation of children were brought up to be as respectful and caring as Fred was then this kind of thing would never happen.... I chose ackers pit for my Grandads memorial bench because as I was growing up I spent so much time with him feeding the ducks and the swans, fred always enjoyed fishing at the pit and had spent his last few years showing my children his great grandchildren the beautiful things that ackers pit offers.... He was not associated with the council I approached the council with the request of purchasing and cementing down a bench not only for our use to reminisce about Fred but for other people who enjoy walking around the pit and watching/feeding the ducks swans and fish to use.....

Unfortunately the thugs who feel the need to ruin things that don't belong to them will probably get away with this U less we make use of the power of social networking, so I stead of judging 'Fred' do the right thing and share this message, someone must know something...

Thank you for respecting fred and his family at this time and all the help is much appreciated

RIP fred..... You were such a beautiful amazing man

• Upvote 2

On behalf of the family I am appalled to read some of the comments on here. My Dad had nothing to do with the council, He used to initially love fishing at ackers pit and later loved to take his great grand children to feed the swans at the spot where the memorial bench was placed. My Daughter surprised us all with the bench as it gave us all a place to visit and remember this beautiful man who would never have had a bad thing to say about anyone. We have had a really upsetting weekend and reading some of these comments has made it worse. I would be grateful if the focus could be on finding the culprits and allowing us to give my Dad the respect he deserved

• Upvote 1

Dear Nicola and Gilly - thank you for taking the time to set the record straight and apologies for any distress you may have suffered from comments made on the forum.

I think we are all agreed that those responsible for this mindless act of vandalism need to be brought to justice ASAP and we will do what we can to help in that department.

Hi Nicola and Gilly, I'd like to echo Gary's sentiments and I am also sorry if any of the comments have caused you and your family further distress. 

It's awful what has happened to your dads/grandads bench and everyone I have spoken to today has heard about it and are equally disgusted and fuming that someone could have done such a thing.
You chose a beautiful place for his bench and like you I have grown up enjoying Ackers Pit and it's a lovely place.

The person who found it in the water and and managed to get it out (and who took the photos) is a friend of mine but he wasn't sure who to contact at first so he reported it to the police who I believe reported it to the parish council.  He posted the photo's on facebook in the hope the culpret(s) can be found and gave permission for them to be on here too.

I hope they are found but my biggest hope is that your dads/grandads lovely bench is put back right where it belongs very quickly and that you and your family get some comfort and also pleasure from visiting his special spot for many years to come.

First may I say that I am sorry for your loss and like others hope that the culprits are caught and dealt with appropriately.

Having said that, this is exactly the result you get when posts are deleted. There is an assumption that they must have been offensive and/or judgemental.

They can't be used to prove that nothing judgemental was said about this person, or that no one said that this person was a councillor.

They also can't be quoted to prove that no one asked who had paid for the bench,

I reiterate that I would defy anyone to consider my posts as offensive and Dizzy confirmed that, but by deleting it the assumption has been made.

• Downvote 1

Thanks Gary the council have kindly agreed to put it back in place, we are hoping that this has been done for when we go tomorrow. We are frightened of it happening again so we are looking for a better solution. Thanks for the offer though, it is very much appreciated.

No one asked directly who paid for the bench and no one said he WAS associated with the council but did you or did you not say this which would in turn get the responses of who got the bench and that he wasn't associated with the council?

"Was the bloke an ex councillor or not? If not then why should the Parish Council honour him by way of a plaque on a bench?"

Why the above would have been said I do not know as why would this be relevant to the thugs who vandalised something of greater value to us than the cost of the bench and plaque itself...

Anyhow opinions as to why the bench is there, who it is for, what Fred was like as a man are in my opinion to be kept to yourselves as the point to this story is that we live in a world where people are that disrespectful you can't even grieve in peace...

• Upvote 1

We are frightened of it happening again so we are looking for a better solution. Thanks for the offer though, it is very much appreciated.

Gilly, there is another bench there and that has never been vandalised so hopefully it is just a one off but maybe suggest a stronger concrete base, personally I would like to see the council put some form of CCTV in the area to stop further acts of vandalism and to also protect the swans and other wildlife from further harm.  I guess that is not feasible though.

I am just about ot send you a personal message by the way, incase you don't know how that works a little red flag will appear at the very top of your screen on here next to the envelope icon.  I will try and add you Nicola to the same message 'conversation'.

The answer is YES I did say it and taken out of context could be seen as offensive. However the statement was made after my original post had been deleted and the assumption had already been made. My original post was simply a reply to someone who had stated that a 90 year old would have no enemies, tongue in cheek I stated that if he was a councillor he may have had many. That statement wasn't made to judge your grandfather but rather to echo many statements about councillors in general who, if you were a regular poster would realise get a fairly bad press on this forum.

If that upset you then I apologise, but I have no reason to apologise for any of my posts.

Apology accepted, I understand that when reading something it can easily be taken out of context, however knowing this I personally would have been extra careful as to what I am writing and whom may take offence even if there was no intent to offend....

I think this is why your posts were deleted in the interest of people like me.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.... And I hope we can all move on and try to find the thugs (if I'm thinking of a nicer word) of whom caused all this in the first place!!

Keep sharing the article and hope that someone has some key information to share!!

Gary cctv would be great but it's costly and I guess due to funding it may not be feasible. Frustrated that there's only so much we can do!!

Could this be the opportunity we need to lobby the Stockton Heath Parish Councillors to consider adding to their next Agenda the subject of CCTV cameras at Ackers Pit. 

http://parish.cheshire.gov.uk/stocktonheathpc/

Actions speak louder than words - however sincere these words are.

A lot of money was spent on Ackers Pit not so long ago, so I would think it is in everyones interest that there is surveillance, in order to prevent further vandalism and interferrence with the wildlife on the water.

If there was ever a topic which illustrated how tongue-in-cheek remarks, which might be acceptable in a spoken conversation, can be inappropriate when put into print, this is it.

I have followed it from the start, and saw the offending comments before they were removed, and was appalled at how it drifted away from the original serious purpose, into idiotic comments.

Usual suspects please take note.