Freedom of speech ?

observer

Tend to agree with  you guys; not a day goes by now, without some celeb having to apologise for offending someone or other.  From the 7th century notion that you cannot reproduce the likeness of the Prophet (peace be upon him); when no one knows what he looked like anyway; to the restrictions now imposed by the PC "ism" Brigade; clearly free speech doesn't exist; something that supposed to be the essence of democracy and included as the 1st amendment to the US constitution. However there are commonsense limitations in law; we can't shout "fire" in a crowded theatre; and there are laws of liable and slander available to those that can afford it. But as the man said: " I disagree with what you are saying, but will defend to the death, your right to say it".

we can't shout "fire" in a crowded theatre

So what do you shout if the theatre catches fire.

"CONFLAGRATION"

"COMBUSTION"

"THERMAL IGNITION"

there is freedom of speech you can say whatever you like provided you take the responsibility for any consequences arising from that.

I think the notion of freedom of speech was more likely to succeed in the days of restricted communications. Nowadays we have t'internet ,social media & mobile phones all monitored to death ,so there maybe a freedom of speech after a fashion ,but somebody somewhere will know what you said & when you said it.

Copied from the Guardian -

There is no such thing as free speech - and a good thing too. There are rather just degrees of tolerance, permissiveness and relative freedom, with boundaries, legal, social and cultural. And there are always limits, many of which we are barely aware of, so much so we take them for granted.

Now the idea of free speech is great but i think the consequences of free speech need to be carefully considered . I refer to the latest French Charlie magazine having a front cover caricature of the prophet which, when having to cope with the reactions & "just causes" of "religious " terrorist  extremists is surely holding a candle to the devil. My belief is that maybe a bit of  restrained contrition on the part of the magazine would have been no bad thing ,for a while at least.

• Upvote 1

I completely agree Davy and when I heard about it on the news today my heart sort of skipped a beat and my initial reaction was 'bloody hell.. red rag to a bull'.  

I'm all for freedom of speech but the evil b*****ds who carry out these atrocities are not human in my opinion and no matter how many millions of people from all corners of the world, colours, beliefs and religions walk the streets in protest against them and no matter how many papers or magazines stand up in support they [the terrorists] will STILL think they have the god damn right to kill innocent men, women and children just because of whatever pointless things they have been brainwashed into believing.... or have they been brainwashed maybe that is just how their sick,  twisted and evil minds work !!  

They need to be eradicated and sod putting them on 'watch lists' as that clearly doesn't work.   GET RID !!!!

• Upvote 1

Think perhaps "brainwashing" is the key word here; if young children are brought up to believe superstitious nonsense of any religion (imo);  it's no wonder that they may be susceptible to extreme interpretations. Rather than promoting "faith schools" (thanks to Mr Bliar) in the misguided name of cultural diversity; it would make sense to have one State secular education for all, based on scientific enquiry and evidence based conclusions. In the 21st century, theology is clearly a throw back to the past, when it was part and parcel of politics.  Think most of us would now see it as an anachronism.

• Upvote 2