Morrisons Stockton Heath - New parking fines !

Dizzy

Be warned......

I went to Morrisons tonight and signs have gone up and camera's installed.  You can now only park there for 2 hours and there is no return withing 2 hours or you get an £85 fine.

Can't blame them though as people have started to park there with it being free (unlike the Forge Car Park) and they walk into Stockton Heath or hop on the bus into town.

Have to wonder if 2 hours is long enough though as it took me 1 hr 20 mins to do all my shopping and if I'd gone in the cafe for something to eat and drink I'd have gone over the 2 hours.

IMAG1015.jpg

IMAG1016.jpg

1 hour and 20 minutes,  how many trolleys did you fill?   :wink:

Just one small one but I had to read and compare all the food labels when I was shopping and that took time as we are trying to eat healthily and loose weight.  I figured the more I wandered round comparing things and picking them up and putting them down again the more calories I'd burn off :lol: .... then I got chatting to the lady on the till (there was no-one behind me though) so that took another 5 mins :lol:

It usually takes me that long though even if I just go for a few things as I get sidetracked... hard to believe I know :oops::lol:

Note that this is a parking 'charge' and not a fine. 

If you didn't pay it they would have to take you to court, this would involve time and costs, if they did decide to follow this procedure through it would be really unlikely that the judge would rule £85 as a 'reasonable charge'. (£40 is the highest I've ever heard a judge class as 'reasonable').

If you have actually been in the Morrison's store all the time I think a word with Morrison's manager would suffice to sort out any problem with the parking company, if the manager isn't available and the parking company insist I'd just tell them to get real and get lost. In this situation I can't see any charge being classed as 'reasonable', - I think any claim for payment would just be thrown out.

:lol: :lol: The topic was meant just a warning so people don't get caught out by overstaying due to the new rules rather than about me and my shopping habits but thanks for the advice anyway.

As for carrying my shopping home so I don't buy as much or so I get more exercise do you realise how heavy a carrier bag of fruit alone is... not to mention the 2 packs of chicken breasts, fish, vegies, yoghurts, 12 eggs, low fat turkey rashers, soup, rice, weird quorn things cos they said low fat and high protein (anyone tried quorn and what's it like?)... and god knows what else I bought that seemed healthy and low fat and it came to over £70..... oh and 12 toilet rolls just incase :lol:

One think I did notice is that eating crap food seems to be a lot cheaper and much quicker to shop for :oops:

I've not really got a problem with Morrisons putting up parking restrictions and I don't blame them at all.  Their car parks were full to overflowing twice over xmas when I went with queues right down the road but there was hardly anyone in the store. 

Sha... a lot of people WILL pay the charge/fine as soon as they get it as they will be too worried to just ignore it but at the end of the day providing there are enough warning signs up so it's 100% clear what the rules are then it's their own faults if they overstay really. 

I must say though it is hardly surprising that so many people do click & collect or home delivery in order to beat parking pitfalls ,charges & traffic congestion & ,the more it catches on, the louder will be the death knell for traditional shopping across the spectrum.

I've never tried click and collect or home delivery, I might try it one week as it may stop me buying things I didn't really go for too.  I usually go to the back of the shelves though for the longer date life and presume if you get delivery they don't do that, there can sometimes be a difference of nearly a week on some items on the same shelf.   Blummin' heck we're back to my shopping habits again, sorry :lol:

Diz, re the parking, Morrison's have probably decided to go down this route due to people using their car park, not for shopping there but just as free parking. The Forge car park used to have a problem with people parking all day when working in Stockton Heath or even town centre. The solution to the problem would be the provision of free or at least low cost parking by WBC but we all know how unlikely that would be.

The thing that is so annoying is that the companies that are monitoring the car parks are allowed to behave often in 'bully boy' fashion and ask for totally unrealistic charges to be paid. It's these people who should be kept out of the town's car parks! 

Diz, I would highly recommend Morrison's home delivery service. The goods do not actually come from the nearest store they come direct from the warehouse so have not been hanging around on the shelves and I've never had a problem with the sell by dates.

Delivery has always been reliably on time and carried into my kitchen - they even offer to help with unpacking the bags! I certainly won't be doing my main shop in store again!

As for Davy saying online shopping sounds the death knell for traditional shopping -well, supermarkets are not really traditional are they? When I was a kid the weekly groceries were delivered once a week via Mounfield's van, so for me it's back to the good old days - and I'm enjoying it!

Hummm, wonder how long this will last?

I recall Asda at Birchwood bringing in charges as people park on there and use the station (virtually no parking at the station, bizarre) but never got a ticket.

Recall Sainsbury bringing in charges and an elderly man running round the car park punching registration numbers into a terminal, but that did not last long.

I have many ticket from the Riverside Shopping Center, mainly because as well as shopping in the Riverside I nip into town too, never paid one.

I have many ticket from the Riverside Shopping Center, mainly because as well as shopping in the Riverside I nip into town too, never paid one.

So you often intentionally ignore the signs and rules at Riverside just because you know/think they wont come after you for your ticket fine/charge ?   Why don't go go and park in the Market multi storey it only cost's £1 and there are always spaces.

So you often intentionally ignore the signs and rules at Riverside just because you know/think they wont come after you for your ticket fine/charge ?   Why don't go go and park in the Market multi storey it only cost's £1 and there are always spaces.

Yes,

I do not see why I should use the Market St car park if I am using the shops at the Riverside?

If I do not need anything from the Riverside I will park in Sainsbury, go into town, Lidl then do my shopping at Sainsbury.

I tend to park where I will be shopping. If it was the Market I would park there and if I needed something from Riverside I would go there in my car and park.  Why wander around with all your shopping from one place to another when parking is provided?

Yes,

I do not see why I should use the Market St car park if I am using the shops at the Riverside?

If I do not need anything from the Riverside I will park in Sainsbury, go into town, Lidl then do my shopping at Sainsbury.

But once you've finished your shopping at Riverside and tootle off into town you are no longer shopping at Riverside so why not move your car then to free up space for others who want to park and shop at Riverside?  They only brought in the parking system because everyone was parking there for free and going into town so it was often congested all day.

Don't get me wrong I think the way people are ticketed by the vultures there and the heafty fines imposed is OTT but the rules are there and should not be simply ignored because people just feel like it.

I tend to park where I will be shopping. If it was the Market I would park there and if I needed something from Riverside I would go there in my car and park.  Why wander around with all your shopping from one place to another when parking is provided?

That depends on what I am buying.

Driving round to lidl just to buy some bread roles and spegetti seems a bit lazy if I am just parked round the corner.

Me too although I do find Sainsburys at little expensive so I probably wouldn't have gone there in the first place.  Seems pointless to go to a more expensive shop then on to Lidl or Aldi to save on spaghetti or bread rolls not to mention that it's free to park at Aldi and Lidl anyway and their stuff is really good.

Just my opinion though....