Should it stay or should it go?

Gary

All I can say is, if you close down the forum there will be a few people (those with more than, say, 6,000 posts) who will have a big gap left in their lives.

Maybe they'll start going into the town centre and getting involved in some other sort of anti-social behaviour?

• Upvote 1

Off topic at times yes but in a nice way and some very constructive comments and good suggestions re the forum  :D 

I rather like this topic as everyone's being happy and cheerful and there's no falling out or anything.  A bit of light hearted chit chat in a discussion about a very serious subject to lighten the spirits and lift the mood is always welcome <trying not to giggle>...    :D:lol:

Off topic at times yes but in a nice way and some very constructive comments and good suggestions re the forum  :D 

I rather like this topic as everyone's being happy and cheerful and there's no falling out or anything.  A bit of light hearted chit chat in a discussion about a very serious subject to lighten the spirits and lift the mood is always welcome <trying not to giggle>...    :D:lol:

Something (with the rare exception) that has been missing from this forum for a long time, many of the nasty personal attacks made on each other only take place on a here because it is a virtual world with no chance of physical contact between members, these vitreolic exchanges would never take place in the real world as they contravene the code of ethics that have been instilled in our behavioural standards from childhood and if our parents had read some of the personal insults that are used on here they would be totaly ashamed of us.

I am not pointing a finger at any one person and include my past behaviour in the above comment.

Anyone who has worked in a engineering workshop (Electricians, Fitters, Tiffy's) will have endured far worse insults than have been posted on here. Anyone who has frequented the pubs and clubs around here also. If you have ever been seated near to opposing football fans you would have your eyes opened albeit that the insults are not directed at you personally.

Why do you include your own past behaviour alg? I can't remember you ever insulting anyone or even coming close to it.

I agree to a point wolfie, having worked either on or with the lads on the shop floor as you quite rightly say " I have given and received far worse insults" but all of those lads I knew personally, unlike on here wherewe only know each other by the typed word, so if we were to meet up face to face I think it unlikely that we would trade insults  the way we do it on here!.

My past behaviour has been less than angelic as PJ politely pointed out, we had a few heated discussions to put it mildly and I can remember one or two other occasions where my behaviour left a bit to be desired.

The fact that that sort of behaviour exists elsewhere though doesn’t mean that we have to put up with it here. I’d never return to a pub where people openly argue and insult one another even if it’s nothing to do with me. Fortunately when it comes to pubs there’s plenty of others to choose from but here we only have one local forum.

If there were more people here it might not be quite so bad but that’s not going to happen unless several things change.

Bill :)

Of course it always helps if people read posts before they comment. My statement wasnt about having to put up with it on here, it was simply a reply to alg's point that

these vitreolic exchanges would never take place in the real world 

They obviously do and that was an example of why.

The fact that that sort of behaviour exists elsewhere though doesn’t mean that we have to put up with it here. I’d never return to a pub where people openly argue and insult one another even if it’s nothing to do with me. Fortunately when it comes to pubs there’s plenty of others to choose from but here we only have one local forum.

If there were more people here it might not be quite so bad but that’s not going to happen unless several things change.

Then stop using pub analogies.  

maybe we should do as some of the folk on here suggest and meet up for a pint?  the Red Fox is good despite its crappy reputation , oh sorry my bad thats long gone and forgotten lol

Algy, was there ever a Red Fox in Warrington?

The pub anaologies work for me but I was refering to Wolfies example.

http://datamaster.co.uk/forum/boozer.jpg

Think over the years I've used so many pub analogies I've painted an impression that I'm a right boozer :mrgreen:

Looking at all the pints on that table in front of you in your pic Bill I think the impression of you being a right boozer is justified :lol:

....... if our parents had read some of the personal insults that are used on here they would be totaly ashamed of us.

My dad does read things I put on here although he's not posted for a while but I suspect he still lurks in the background.  Oh heck I wonder if he is ashamed of me, saying that I'm far better behaved on here than I am in 'real' life :D  

I think that this forum should stay, Gary.  I am not a regular user of the forum - but when there is anything I want to know about local issues - then this is the place to look.

I have found that other Warrington groups can be like the Curate's egg - good in parts - but the rules keep changing - and there is no consistency in the Admins' opinions about what the 'rules' should be.

The boys' banter on this forum is amusing, and it's refreshing to see Dizzy's common-sense comments - and she is very good at finding information that can be relied upon.

I have always been shown courtesy on this site - when others have fallen short in that department.

For what it's worth - I think we should give it a go for another few months, at least.

Good to hear that have found the forum useful and enjoyable HCW,  and thanks for the nice comments too.

I understand what you mean about some other groups and yes they can be very frustrating and confusing at times with changing 'rules' and lack of consistency across the board like you say.  I've been caught out a few times by that and had the odd polite telling off :oops:   I wonder if we are on the same ones...