she's angry again....

Bazj

I'm sure the NHS was set up on the basis of national insurance contributions, until various Govs started including it in the big pot. What's required is a public conversation to establish the desired boundaries of an NHS, as reflected in Baz's post. Having done that, it needs to be funded by NI, and run by an independent board, without any interference by politicians; within the parameters set by the public. We should also be focusing on quality of life, not quantity.

PJ yes its 14.9% but your Employer pays half...at the end of the day you get what you pay for..its not perfect but i do feel better than the NI contributions which go into a Goverment pot and youhave no idea where and how much is being used..like i said our money goes straight into the Health service..

Obs yes i agree if thing were done that way you would know where your money was being spent...

We have euthanasia by stealth now especially when doctors are asking patients to declare their preferences re resuscitation. As far as pensions go the steady rise in retirement age will slowly increase to millions the number of people who ever receive the state pension.

What is a serial abuser of the healthcare system?

Go to A&E any Friday or Saturday night and you'll see them. Too drunk to stand, but not too drunk to fight - and it's the same faces week after week.

Or drive past a 24hr pharmacy at just after midnight and you'll see the addicts queuing up for their methadone as soon as the date changes to the date on their repeat prescription. Methadone which is supposed to be a heroin substitute for addicts trying to stop - only the vast majority aren't trying to stop and even sell their Methadone to buy heroin.

Or ask a doctor's receptionist how many hypochondriac-by-proxy parents they see demanding an immediate appointment and anti-biotics every time their child has the slightest snuffle.

And finally, take a look at an obesity clinic and the amount of money being spent on gastric bands, gastric bypasses and on all the self-inflicted health issues obesity brings. It's quite simple - shut the fridge door and go for a walk instead!

• Downvote 1

I have taken my other half to Warrington Hospital A&E four times in the last couple of years. Never have we had to wait more than half-an-hour.

It seems to me a bit funny that it is always people with a political axe to grind that get poor service from the NHS.

I have found it to be an excellent service.

Of course, a lot depends on the reason for your visit. They give priority to the more serious cases - and that can only be right.  If you find you are kept waiting a long time it might be an idea to examine the reasons you are there.

• Upvote 2

I think that people's opinions of the NHS are polarised such that some think it's the best thing since sliced bread while others think it's a massive waste of money. The truth is somewhere in between. Such a huge organisation cannot possibly be perfect, especially as it involves people. So let's celebrate the good bits while pushing for improvement in the bad bits. Politicians sniping from the sidelines without any positive ideas of their own do nothing to improve the situation, and all parties are guilty of this.

I would just add to my last post that I do not want to have to use the NHS at all, not because I have an adverse opinion of it, but because I want to stay well. And if I do become victim to man flu or such like, I should hope I can drag myself to the chemist for some paracetomol without troubling the "health professionals".

Didn't discern any particular anti- NHS posts Asp;  questions however do arise if we're not to be complacent - is it short of funding? - obviously;  does it suffer from political interference? - regularly;  will demands increase? - probably. Hence the need for a public consultation, before the patient dies from overwork.

Yet it still was lauded in the report and outperformed Germany which we have heard on here is a wonderful system.  Perhaps we ought to be a bit more grateful for what we have and a little less keen to find fault.  It actually out performed all of the other rich nations in the study.