Pubs.

bobbrakes

Is that the one on Rushgreen Road as you head out of Lymm towards Heatley Mere that looks really old ?

If it's that one it's right next to the all the large new housing developments so you'd think it would do well as a pub now especially if it does nice food .  Saying that if it went up for sale a developer would snap that up for housing without a doubt as it's a big plot of land.  Is the large field next to it theirs too ?

I THINK the field is theirs too. The two attempts at the Farmers were for some grandiose cookery and I think the second went bust before opening! The first attempt had a sign,"come in for a beer ".We did, dear crap keg. Notice the large field opposite the ex garage now car wash hasn't had a crop in years? Brownfield site so get the houses in easy.

Mr Dizzy said it was all done up inside a couple of years ago and turned into an Italian restaurant and pub.  (Marco's ?? or something like).

I don't go over that way very often so have never been in.... mmm how does he know though :shock:  :lol:  

So now I know I've got the right building.... is there nobody in it now then ?

The Marco's website say it's 300 years old so I'd guess that means it's grade listed by English Heritage then is it ?  If so then at least it can't be knocked down.. well unless it's left empty to fall into disrepair and rot away of course. 

It does look a lovely building from the outside and it's show as being called the 'Farmers Arms' on a lot of the really old maps too.

Having lived in Lymm for more years than I care to remember and wearing my Librarian of the Local History Society hat, I've never heard reference to the Farmers building being 300 years old !!! As far as I know its not on Warrington Borough Council's Locally Listed register. A building is shown on the Tithe map, c1840,  but I've not determined if it was pub then. It could either have been this

Township: Lymm. Parish: Lymm. Plot №: 220a. Owner: John Robinson. Occupier: John Collinge. Plot Name: Cottage & Garden. Land Use: Building and Garden. Area: 0 acres, 0 roods, 24 perches.

or

Township: Lymm . Parish: Lymm .Plot №: 220. Owner: John Robinson. Occupier: Amos Ogden. Plot Name: Cottage. Land Use: Building. Area:

0 acres, 0 roods, 2 perches.

Joe

I can't fin any reference to it being listed either.  You obviously know the area well Joe and as you are into your local history then you will know a lot more about it than me.

My reference to the age of the building was based on info on the Marco's website where they said... quote " Marco Marco has sympathetically restored the former Farmers Arms, retaining the natural charm of the 300-year-old former hostelry while adding a bright, fresh twist........ "

It's an odd thing for them to say if it's not true though don't you think as surely the owners (either Marco's or whatever pub chain/person actually owned it) would have details about it on the land registry deeds etc.  Maybe they just wanted it to sound older than it is to their customers.

Mmm I wonder if I can find my land registry username and password to download the info... I'm inrigued now.. well ok nosey :lol:

The oldest map I can find the Farmers Arms on is 1873, it may well be on earlier ones too but I don't have any of those to look at.