They're now arriving in containers -

observer

Afraid your probably correct Latch; they'll be kept in detention by the State (= us tax-payers), not allowed to work (thus paying no taxes).  With no papers, it will be difficult to establish their origin (although we now hear they're from Afghanistan); without papers there is a question as to whether their home country will recognise them and accept them back. If they really want to stay here; they'll probably be advised by the HR lawyers that surround them (like flies round a honey pot), to apply for asylum, thus spinning out their stay at our expense in legal aid. Just one more case among thousands.

I don't agree with them coming here but seeing the news tonight it was very sad and they must have been so desperate.

The youngest person in the container was a baby only about 12 months old and the chap who died was with his wife and young children too, his children had tried to wake him not realising he was dead. 

I know I will probably be slated for saying that but they are human beings, mothers, fathers, children, brothers, sisters, aunts. uncles.... just like we all are.... and I can't even begin to imagine how desperate they must have felt to risk their lives like that.  It must have been so very frightening and awful for them all  :(

It's easy to play on compassion by focusing on individual cases, but we need to look at the big picture. Put simply, they are in the water, drowning and desperate to survive. We are in the lifeboat, equally desperate to survive in our relative comfort. They are swimming towards our lifeboat and if they all clamber aboard it will sink. As Uncle Joe said - " One death is a tragedy, a million, a statistic". If these people were suffering from religious persecution, it would seem simpler to have approached the Indian Embassy in Afghanistan, to seek asylum in the Punjab; instead, they've headed for what is now the receptacle for the world's waifs and strays - the UK.

• Upvote 2

Compassion is not something one would expect of you Obs!  and I wonder whether you could see the 'bigger picture' if it was staring you in the face.

The bigger picture must contain clues as to why these people have uprooted themselves from their homes and risked their lives to travel here.

In your 3rd post you cite "religious persecution"  as a reason for needing asylum. If that is the case it will hardly be merely banning them from their places of worship - they must have been under severe threat and in great danger to have taken the risks they have.

As for your quoting the 4oo of our servicemen "who have given their lives for democracy and the rule of law in that country"  what must be apparent is that they did not 'give' but have been robbed of their lives and for what?  "democracy" obviously hasn't been achieved.

I don't believe they should ever have been sent there and I certainly don't believe that they were sent with altruistic aims - the motives were greed and power. Due to these evil motives innocent people have been killed and others suffered greatly -  so who should now shoulder the responsibility for alleviating their suffering?

I would suggest the USA.

We should take care of these refugees, feed them, clothe them, comfort them etc, then when they are well enough, send them with a bill for costs to America to be housed and taken care of.

I would also suggest that those fleeing Gaza be airlifted straight to the States to be looked after and that Britain stops playing puppet to the Whitehouse.

Let those who cause the trouble suffer the consequential costs - and the terrorist reprisals.     

• Upvote 1

Frankly, I'd have no probs driving them to the airport. for a flight to their religious homeland; same goes for the rest, including the 4,000 or so in Calais, and those in camps in Spain, Italy and Greece; waiting for the next truck to the UK. As for the trouble in Afghanistan, I can obviously agree; we shouldn't have been there in the first place, and Bliar and Bush should be held to account for all the death and destruction. However, Western involvement didn't cause the religious intolerance, ignorance did;  a medieval mind set that's fuelling the barbarity were seeing in Iraq now, and if we remain complacent and "compassionate", we'll see it imported into the UK, in containers and under lorries - so wake up folks.

• Upvote 1

..... and now we have ONS figures showing a 40% increase in immigration, a City the size of Birmingham every year in housing terms. 25% of new borns in the new baby boom are being born by non-British mothers, causing local Councils concerns about funding education requirements. The life boat's sinking.

• Upvote 1

Believe the French authorities, bulldozed the illegal's camp at Calais, due to an outbreak of scabies; scattering them. Just can't understand why they don't round them up, clean them up and put them on flights home?

That is far to simple a solution.

French Politicians don't do "simple" it isn't  in their vocabulary..

Apparently all this lack of power to determine the future of Britain by its own government at this exact time was known about  at the time of the referendum in 1975 &, according to a recent freedom of information divulgence  , it appears the electorate was duped at the time.

Apparently, the vote that was peddled to the electorate at the time, as nothing more than being involved in European trading partnership, was known by the government of the day to be the start of what we have today.

Why don't we get half a dozen empty lorry's, marked with British flags to join the queue, and once they are full of immigrants lock the buggers in and then drive them to Afghanistan and tell them it's Milton Keynes.

or take them to Islamabad and tell them its really Bradford!!

How/why the Mayor of Calais can criticise the UK, I don't know?  These immigrants have entered France and are on French soil; so it's up to the French Authorities to sort them out.  Of course, French law and politicians are probably as weak as ours, and ultimately subject to the ECHR; but it would appear simple to round them up, clean them up and put them on military flights back to their places of origin.  Governments are clearly failing in their first duty, to protect the territorial integrity of their respective Countries.