The last time I was in Warrington...

Flatlander

... on  a regular basis was 1982. As a direct result of finding this forum, I had a look on Google Earth to look at the place. I'm absolutely astounded at the amount of changes that have been made. I doubt if I would know the place any more, and several places seem to have disappeared completely. 

What happened to the Horse & Jockey? And the Fire Station opposite? Or is it simply so my memory is playing tricks on me? What happened to Burtonwood Base? That seems to be a housing area now. 

Indeed a lot of changes - Horse and jockey demolished and now a fast food outlet - fire station still opposite.

Burtonwood air base now replaced by housing and the Omega development which will be a mix of warehousing, logistics and residential.

You are not on your own flatlander. I have lived in warrington for the past 56 and a bit years and couldn't tell you how to get to any place anymore. So many new housing estates, so many roads that have dissppeared or changed beyond recognition. It is getting so bad that even the sat navs can't keep up let alone ordinance survey.

P/.S. 56 and  a bit years is all my life so far (so good)

Greenings demolished and now a housing estate, dallam sheds an industrial unit, howads scrap yard a new housing estate in the making and that is just in my immediate area.

Sad that Burtonwood wasn't turned into some kind of tourist attraction or museum, in the same way that they did with Duxford.

Carrying on along the A49 from where the Horse and Jockey used to be there was a dance place called the Lion or something similar. In Bridge Street? My memory is that it was split into 3. The upstairs where they held discos, The "Back Bar" and another. Does that still exist? I think the owner Bill ? started off by selling hot dogs at rugby matches. does that place still exist?

Not to forget the Hoagie Wagon....

Sad that Burtonwood wasn't turned into some kind of tourist attraction or museum, in the same way that they did with Duxford.

Carrying on along the A49 from where the Horse and Jockey used to be there was a dance place called the Lion or something similar. In Bridge Street? My memory is that it was split into 3. The upstairs where they held discos, The "Back Bar" and another. Does that still exist? I think the owner Bill ? started off by selling hot dogs at rugby matches. does that place still exist?

Not to forget the Hoagie Wagon....

There is a heritage museum for Burtonwood at Gulliver's World theme Park :)

Bill Medland RIP ran the Red Lion which still exists but sadly not as a rock venue :(

Hoggie Wagon long gone :(

Even google earth probably isn't showing you a true picture Flatlander as I think most of their images are from 2012 but I could be wrong.

If you've not been here since 1982 then I guess you cant see a lot of the now pedestrianised areas and you haven't even seen all the changes to the Golden Square shopping area.  Not forgetting the likes of Bridge Street which is pretty much a no mans land now with empty shops.  The Market area is pretty desolate too these days but that's all supposed to be being replaced and done up as part of the councils 'vision'.

I took quite a lot of photo's quite recently of the pedestrian streets around the Golden Square, the old fishmarket area near the Barley Mow, the Market and some other bits and bobs so if you are interested in seeing any let me know and I'll try and upload some over the weekend for you.