Didcot demolition

boris1066

At a time when power supplies could be compromised by comrade Putin turning off the gas supply would it not be a good idea to delay the destruction of the cooling towers, scheduled for 27th July, to be delayed ?  The generator was turned off months ago, by edict from the EU, so perhaps  the control systems have by now gone to the recycle bin. If push comes to shove we might be grateful for a few good old coal burners.

Yes, it was shut down by RWE and yes they had a choice, the choice being comply with the EU directive or close it. So to say the EU had no input on that decision is like saying you choose not to smoke in a public place and it has nothing to do with the No Smoking policy.

As usual you've missed the point with your myopic   Euro blinkers on . It doesn't really matter who shuts what down in pursuit of emission reductions. It's just plain stupid when supplies are on a knife edge.

A big fire at ferrybridge power station in Yorkshire. Presumably that will entail some reduction in generation.

The point I tried to make is that we can ill afford to shut things down on a Euro or any other directive/decision by a foreign power ,RWE or Putin. It's a matter of national power generation security and in the face of the crap that's going on with Russia the Government should not be allowing RWE to turn a significant power station   in to a housing estate.

Boris, most things when designed are designed to last for a certain amount of years, so were our power stations, are coal fired power stations had a life span of about 25 years, they are well over that age. The real problem had been lack of investment in them for years, by all governments of all colours. No body wants to pay for new, the companies that bought them at privatisation have been flogging them to death, putting profits before investing in the future, sadly energy has become a crisis as the coal fired stations cost more to keep going than they produce. It's the same with nuclear the government did not want to pay for new so has kept the old power stations running long past what they were designed to do.

Diddcot shut as it cost to much to keep going, it actually should have shut years ago, it was never designed to run as long as it did. The EU have become a convenient excuse, the real culprits are our own governments over the last 25 years that have known about the looming energy production crisis but not invested, they privatised them thinking the private companies would. Sadly for the most part they did not.

No.... it shut because of the meddling EU.... ask everyone apart from you and they will agree.... Kije, you are just wrong again... if the EU hadn't brought out these stupid enviro dictats, the power stations could just carry on as they were

• 2 months later...

And now there's a bloody big fire at Didcot (gas fired I believe) I'm in the market for a small generator for when the lights go out this Winter.

A big fire at ferrybridge power station in Yorkshire. Presumably that will entail some reduction in generation.

The point I tried to make is that we can ill afford to shut things down on a Euro or any other directive/decision by a foreign power ,RWE or Putin. It's a matter of national power generation security and in the face of the crap that's going on with Russia the Government should not be allowing RWE to turn a significant power station   in to a housing estate.

• Upvote 2

When we get to brown outs, how do our green energy lights react ??  They are basically fluorescent's and I'm pretty sure that Fluorescent's don't strike unless they have the correct voltage.  Brown outs might mean total darkness for the green conscious!

Fluorescent's ( comma in the right place ?????)

What about led lighting. I have only three flourescent tubes in the house the rest being led lights. I could get led tubes but you have to do a bit of fiddling with the wiring to get them to work as you need to remove the starter from the flourecent fitting or something like that not looked into it too deeply as they cost quite a pretty penny for one tube at the moment.

so will reduced voltage affect led lights as much as flourescent?