Warrington Cenotaph.... move or leave ?

Dizzy

Having visited the site with Tom in his wheelchair to take the photo I can honestly say this war memorial either needs to be moved - or given a serious make over to improve access for wheelchair users and those with mobility problems.

If the council can not provide the funds and grants are not available may be a fund-raising campaign which the whole town can embrace.

I would certainly contribute for those who have paid the ultimate price for serving their country.

• Upvote 4

Sorry Inky I hadn't seen your link to the news article on the other topic before I started this one :oops:

The reason you give for it not being moved to Victoria Park is the very same reason I have for not thinking it should go there. 
It would be too far out of the way there and would only be seen by the very few people who going to the park and of course those who would specifically go to pay their respects.

It needs to be placed where it is visible to a lot more people than it would be tucked away in a park as even where it is now people see it as they drive past so it serves as a prominent and constant reminder to everyone about the huge sacrifice all the brave men from Warrington paid.

I completely agree with you too Gary and it is a nightmare to get to so trying to access it in a wheel chair or if you are elderly and/or a bit unstable on your feet must be frightening if not near impossible especially as there is nowhere to park close by either.

So YES I do agree it needs moving.. but not to an out of town centre location like Victoria Park that's all.  

Bridge Street in theory sounds like a good idea but then again where the skittles are is usually just a hang out place for youths most days. 

Seeing as though WBC are currently investing so much money on Bank Park to make it more of a place for people to visit though maybe they have missed a prime opportunity and could have incorporated the cenotaph move into those plans.  Probably too late now though.....

What I would be looking for in a place is as follows

1 some were that is quite where comrades’, ex-service and serving forces, family and friends can sit and reflect on missing pals without the noise of busy traffic.
2 a garden with seating would be nice where you could sit and reflect on life.
3 flower beds that plants are regular donated by the local community
4 room so military bands could play in summer.
5 360 degrees room to stand around of the main Cenotaph
6 360 degrees wheel chair access to the gardens
7 local cadets’ force and youth clubs help in maintenance the garden and area
8 a place where on events would not affect local traffic ie road closers or detours?
9 meeting place where people can come and sit and talk and meet up
10 a flag pole which can and hopefully to be used daily.

This is not much to ask for them who gave so much is it

• Upvote 2

A very nice list tara_dad and all those sound like excellent ideas.

I do have a general question though, not necessarily brought on by your list by the way...

Am I right in thinking that the Cenotaph at Bridge foot has all the names of the soldiers who died in WW1 & WW2 who only lived in the inner wards of the town centre or perhaps unparished areas ?

There are other Cenotaphs in the likes of Stockton Heath, Walton, Crosfields Island etc etc which have other soldiers names on who lived in those actual areas..... are their names also on the Bridge Foot one ?

found the following

57781 Warrington Working Mens Mission CHESHIRE, England Working Men's Mission
1997 3RD BATTN SOUTH LANCASHIRE REGT SOUTH AFRICAN WAR REREDOS CHESHIRE, England ST ELPHINS CHURCH

58618 Greenings Roll of Honour (Lost) CHESHIRE, England Unknown
64211 HMS Obdurate - Warship Week Admiralty Plaque CHESHIRE, England Warrington Museum and Art Gallery
64212 HMS Obdurate - Warship Week Warrington Plaque CHESHIRE, England Warrington Museum and Art Gallery

58624 J Ball and T Parry CHESHIRE, England
42831 JOSEPH CROSFIELD AND SONS LTD WW1 AND WW2 CHESHIRE, England
58623 Latchford Baptist Church CHESHIRE, England Latchford Baptist Church
59126 Legh Street Primitive Methodist Chapel (Lost) CHESHIRE, England Unknown

59778 Lt G H G Crosfield CHESHIRE, England Warrington Hospital (North Cheshire Hospitals NHS Trust)
59856 M Westwell CHESHIRE, England St Barnabas Church
59128 Nat West Bank - Winnick Street Branch CHESHIRE, England Nat West Bank
18213 OLD BOTLERIANS - WW1 CHESHIRE, England WARRINGTON MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY

59121 Risley CHESHIRE, England Chapel (demolished)
42924 SACRED HEART RC PARISHIONERS - WW1 CHESHIRE, England RC CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART
57784 SANKEY AND PENKETH WW1 and WW2 CHESHIRE, England St Marys Cemetery
42932 South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales Volunteers) - WW2 CHESHIRE, England ST ELPHINS CHURCH

59852 South Lancashire Regt NCOs Orford Depot CHESHIRE, England ST BENEDICTS RC CHURCH

St Albans Church WW1 CHESHIRE, England St Albans Church

59152 St Anns Church (Lost) CHESHIRE, England Unknown
59853 St Barnabas Church - WW2 CHESHIRE, England St Barnabas Church
42922 ST BENEDICTS RC PARISHIONERS - WW1 Altar CHESHIRE, England ST BENEDICTS RC CHURCH

42913 ST MARYS RC PARISHIONERS - WW1 MEMORIAL CHAPEL CHESHIRE, England ST MARYS RC CHURCH

42836 USAAF AND US ARMY MILITARY HOSPITAL WW2 CHESHIRE, England WARRINGTON GOLF CLUB

18154 Warrington CHESHIRE, England Bridge Foot
42915 Warrington - Crimean War CHESHIRE, England ARPLEY RAILWAY STATION (DEMOLISHED) VICTORIA PARK

18152 WARRINGTON POSTAL STAFF - WW1 CHESHIRE, England WARRINGTON DELIVERY OFFICE
18153 WARRINGTON POSTAL WORKERS - WW2 CHESHIRE, England WARRINGTON DELIVERY OFFICE

notice where it says lost gone forever  how sad but by the look of this dizzy they are just Memorial honour placks the main one is,
bridge foot but would only tell by names and wow that would be a task

• Upvote 1

Very sad indeed Tara_dad.  Looking at that list they do look like they are memorial plaques in churches with some being specific to local companies and the men/women who would have worked there before going to war  :(

You have given me an idea when you say it would only be possible to tell by the names if they are also on the Bridge Foot plaques....  Algy took photo's of all the names on the Bridge Foot memorial so see if I can find any of them.  ....and I've got photo's of all the names on the Stockton Heath, Walton and Daresbury (All Saints Church) ones.  I don't those will be on the Bridge Foot one too the more I think about it though.

Very moving to see all those names listed on your photo's again Algy :(

Tara_dad, I know what you mean about it being very hard to find the names of all those who lost their lives in the wars.  I found that too when I was trying to find them last year which is one of the reasons I took photo's of the 3 memoria cenotaphs and the inscriptions near me.

I also find it quite sad that there are no personal details about the brave soldiers detailed anywhere about their lives or their actual service.  Because of that I actually started to look up all the names listed on the Stockton Heath and Walton memorials on 'Ancestry' and I managed to find details for some of them such as where they lived, their families, their jobs, how old they were when they signed up, who they served with, where they died etc etc.   Now when I walk past the two cenotaph memorials I feel like I actually know some of them and that to me is rather nice.

I might go and take photo's of all the others too and upload them all into one central place and maybe I'll even find some of my ancestors names on a few, although I hope not really.

• Upvote 1

Well evening guys gals,, im Julie Francis the owner of the fb page 

warrington cenotaph reposition 

i have been onto the council many times and got sick of false promises or no reply.

so i decided too get petition together on paper and e petition once its set up,,it is but im awaiting confirmation.

I would like as many as possible to come join the site or atleast connect me with the details within the article Gary issued

on the 5 th June..

we need to do this for so many reason, we all have our own personal reasons but many stand together and say the same

access seating the whole area its a death trap to get too, conctant traffic no peace quality thinking time

come on lets do this  :P  :P  :P  :P

Well evening guys gals,, im Julie Francis the owner of the fb page 

warrington cenotaph reposition 

i have been onto the council many times and got sick of false promises or no reply.

so i decided too get petition together on paper and e petition once its set up,,it is but im awaiting confirmation.

I would like as many as possible to come join the site or atleast connect me with the details within the article Gary issued

on the 5 th June..

we need to do this for so many reason, we all have our own personal reasons but many stand together and say the same

access seating the whole area its a death trap to get too, conctant traffic no peace quality thinking time

come on lets do this  :P  :P  :P  :P

Welcome to the forum Julie - glad you could join us.

Need you help from members and supports as I need comments from like, as your fathers, mouther or any family members ever found it hard to visit the cenotaph where it is…

Would a move benefits there’s and your life`s?

Are you ex-service or comrade who visits not as much as you like because of where it is? And why?

The public would you visit this place if it was moved more? And how would you use it?

Would every one like to see a flag flying on the flag pole there now for conflicts that’s going on right now for ours. Fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, sisters, brothers and family members, as sign of respect and sadly half-mast to lost ones when fallen.

Have you heard a story from an old comrade about the cenotaph and did they ever think it needed moving for safety

As we need you comments’ because acting together we can make a change again you

Please visit to have your say

https://www.facebook.com/groups/660956257286646/