Cyber attack -

observer

The authorities have taken over the command and control servers which direct this piece of malware virus and receive the financial details it uncovers.

It's estimated that it'll take the bad guys 2 weeks to establish new servers and regain control of the virus.

The advice is to keep your operating system and virus protection up to date, and not to download email attachments from senders you don't know without scanning them first. Basic precautions, and anyone who isn't doing it already pretty much deserves to get robbed.

Forget that... I just googled :shock:   I'd best buy an external hard drive and back up then. 

Not worried about my bank account though as I don't used online banking for my own account and there's no money in it anyway.  Maybe they would feel sorry for me and put some in :lol:

• Upvote 1

No you don't need to install any additional protection, and there's no antivirus software available for iOS.

There are hardware and software features built in, which protect users.  Apple additionally approves every app manually, before it appears in their App Store.

Well not worried about my phones. have two one on orange or EE as it is now branded and one on virgin.  both pay as you go and neither of them is a "smart" phone. both just bog standard phones with minimum functionality. eg they make phone calls and send texts and that is about it really. think one has a camera and a radio but never used them..

never woryy about my pc as all the stuff i have is easily reloaded if anything happens to the OS and all backed up on various other devices ncluding teh laptop which only ever gets turned on once a week to check for updates to the virus checkers and the like.

don't do phone banking or internet banking, don't do internet shopping, I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to stuff like that. Do check things out for price on the net but prefer to go into a shop afterwards and see the product before buying.

No you don't need to install any additional protection, and there's no antivirus software available for iOS.

There are hardware and software features built in, which protect users.  Apple additionally approves every app manually, before it appears in their App Store.

And it has been proven time and time again that the user is the main factor in security breaches rather than the operating system or installed protection software.

As for Apple approving every app, it was only last year when Apple approved a hacked version of 'Microsoft Word 2012' for its store.

Ooops!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9355995/Apple-drops-virus-immunity-claim-for-Macs.html

That was two years ago so have they now resolve the issue of further threats ? 

I often wondered how they could be so sure theirs was foolproof as surely all it takes is one very determined hacker who wants to prove they can.

For years they maintained the claim that Apple systems were hack and virus proof when in fact it was just a case of Apple computers being much fewer in number than Windows ones - so hackers and virus writers largely ignored them.

There have always been cases of Apple paying off users who did suffer virus attacks to keep the stories out of the press.

Now that there are so many more Apple systems out there - phones and tablets, as well as Macs - they are seeing more viruses and hacks aimed at their operating systems. Mac viruses do exist and are mostly Trojans designed to harvest bank details etc because the bad guys figure that Macs are mainly owned by people with more money than poor Windows users.

The fact that Apple DON'T routinely release OS updates means that when the bad guys do find vulnerabilities Apple can't fix them in a hurry.

I've used Win 95, XP, Vista and Win 7 for nearly 20 years on dozens (hundreds, if you include embedded systems) of machines all connected to the internet and have NEVER suffered stability issues or a virus attack.

There's no point blaming the tools, virtually all virus attacks are as a result of users doing something dumb - and of system administrators allowing them to. Mac users do tend to be a bit more tech savvy, that probably helps them to avoid the bad guys too.

• Upvote 1

The threat is clearly a very serious one though as it's the first time I ever recall Cheshire Police releasing a warning about a computer malware/virus attack. 

I even got an email from them from their alert system... ooh should I have clicked on that to read it  :shock:

No drivers needed for apple, they just work, drivers are another reason why windows machines crash, everything in a Mac is made for the company Apple, parts for PCs can end up in different makes of computers hence you need different drivers. Nothing wrong with a PC, I use them for work, but if I had the choice I would use an apple computer for everything. The big down side for apple is the cost. yes,in my opinion you get a better system, but for some the additional cost prices them out.

The worst that I shall experience is that they could gain control of my You Tube account, Damn! I've jut realised they can take  over my Photobucket account as well.

Here's a factual bit of information for you, a close relative of mine paid for an item on ebay two weeks ago and a couple of days later their debit card was refused, when they contacted the bank they were told that someone had got hold of their card number and spent £1,000 from their bank account before the bank stopped the card, so be warned don't purchase anything off the internet with a debit card as a pin number is not required, use a credit card if you must. Alls well that ends well, the bank has taken the loss.

They can have my yo*tube and photo*ucket accounts... and even my face*ook account if they are really that desperate :lol:

Bit worrying about ebay though as my credit card had expired last time I used I used eb*y so I re-instated my payp** account with my d*b*t card.  Is that bad ?  I also used my d*b*t card to buy something on Amaz*n.... I don't usually shop online but it was the only place I could get the book from.

Didn't eb*y have some sort of big security breach recently where everyone was advised to change their p*sswords or something ?

*'s = my paranoia in case something is watching me :lol:8)

If you are really worried about paying online there is a something called a cash plus master card. It is basically a pay as you go credit card. You get the card and put money onto it similar to topping up say a W H Smith or other gift card. You can then use the card to buy things online or wherever like a normal credit card. The up side is that you do not have to have a bank account and you can only spend what you put on the card. Ideal for online transactions. There is a list of outlets that you can top up at and I think you can also top up at post offices.

Brother uses one just for buying items on ebay and the like.

As for me not got a youtube account, all my pictures on photobucket exist elsewhere on various flash drives etc. Facebook is another matter. Have heard a rumour that they are going to start showing adverts full screen every ten minutes or so. That being the case I am afraid my facebook will soon become faceless. It is only a rumour though

dizz the thing about people who think people are watching them is they are usually right

My Paypal account is backed by a credit card only, but as has been said the person you're buying off never gets your card details.

Either this is a case of a buyer who hasn't taken care of their own PC security and has a virus which has given their card details to the bad guys, or - more likely - they've had their card skimmed when using it to pay for something in a shop or restaurant and that is where the fraud has come from.