Photograph shop/studio

sylvia131

From my book of Warrington Photographers and I've listed the ones a bit before and after 1940 too.....

Fred Arthur Ltd - 9 Egypt Street (1914-c1934) then moved to 10 Cairo Street (c1934 -1960/61)

J E Birtles - Legh House Studios, Sankey Street (c1930 - 1951)

Thomas Birtles - 76 Sankey Street (1880 - c1930)

Edgar Brown - 4 Arpley Street (c1924 - c1932)

F Cholerton - 4 Arpley Street (1931 - c1950) then 53 Sankey Street (c1950 - 1956)

W Hodkinson Ltd - Bridge Street (c1935)

Lily Studios - Friars Gate (1935 - 1952)  - managed by Lilty Seymour and she was a wedding and portrait photographer

H Morris - 43 Scotland Road (c1932)

Studio Roland - 79 Bridge Street (1948 - 1955)

I forgot to say that J E Birtles was the son of Thomas Birtles (photographer at the same address from 1880 - 1930).  Warrington Museum hold hundreds of the negatives/prints of their photographs including weddings, portraits, buildings, streets and industrial scenes (says my little booklet).

I'd imagine all the other photographers listed would have done family photo shoots too but no idea if any would be help by the museum too.

As for finding family photos online... doubtful unless you are lucky enough to find someone else doing the same family tree online and they have added photo's.... The 'Ancestry' website is the best place to look and hope for that :wink:

I live in hope that someone connect with me that has photos, with all your help i have a past now but sadley no faces so to find photos would be a dream come true, the one im after was of my mum stood next to a motor bike, she had a long coat on to below the knee, it was in black and white. she gave it one of my brothers and he lost it, it must of been a studio shot which is why im asking x

From my book of Warrington Photographers and I've listed the ones a bit before and after 1940 too.....

Fred Arthur Ltd - 9 Egypt Street (1914-c1934) then moved to 10 Cairo Street (c1934 -1960/61)

J E Birtles - Legh House Studios, Sankey Street (c1930 - 1951)

Thomas Birtles - 76 Sankey Street (1880 - c1930)

Edgar Brown - 4 Arpley Street (c1924 - c1932)

F Cholerton - 4 Arpley Street (1931 - c1950) then 53 Sankey Street (c1950 - 1956)

W Hodkinson Ltd - Bridge Street (c1935)

Lily Studios - Friars Gate (1935 - 1952)  - managed by Lilty Seymour and she was a wedding and portrait photographer

H Morris - 43 Scotland Road (c1932)

Studio Roland - 79 Bridge Street (1948 - 1955)

thanks i can rule out a few by the date it would of had to of been around 1950ish  x

LATCHFORD LOCKS

Yes - you are right. John Mounfield was a distinguished local press photographer who covered not only RL matches, but just about every other sport and literally hundreds of news stories in the Warrington area. But he also did weddings and commercial photography.

Peter Street no longer exists, but memory tells me it was somewhere near the bus station, possibly next to the Hop Pole pub. Wherever it was, John had a little shop with a window full of photographs and, presumably, a dark room at the back.

Anyone who remembers Britain's then worst-ever motorway crash, which was on Thelwall Viaduct, in dense fog. There were pictures in all the national papers of the devastation - and John took them after walking out onto the viaduct to get them. My recollection is that he ended up giving a bed for the night to one of the motorists trapped in the chaos!

He was one of the great characters of Warrington journalism.

• Upvote 1

LATCHFORD LOCKS

Yes - you are right. John Mounfield was a distinguished local press photographer who covered not only RL matches, but just about every other sport and literally hundreds of news stories in the Warrington area. But he also did weddings and commercial photography.

Peter Street no longer exists, but memory tells me it was somewhere near the bus station, possibly next to the Hop Pole pub. Wherever it was, John had a little shop with a window full of photographs and, presumably, a dark room at the back.

Anyone who remembers Britain's then worst-ever motorway crash, which was on Thelwall Viaduct, in dense fog. There were pictures in all the national papers of the devastation - and John took them after walking out onto the viaduct to get them. My recollection is that he ended up giving a bed for the night to one of the motorists trapped in the chaos!

He was one of the great characters of Warrington journalism.

Thanks for that.

Stop confusing me... you said 1940 at first and now you say 1950 :lol: :P

sorry i remembered she would of been 10 in 1940 lol so at a rough guess she was about 20 lol, x anyway you know me by now so you have to either add a few  or take some away or make up a name or place lol  x