Easing the pain

Robbo

Not sure I could ever get over the death of a son or daughter, but would your favourite sports team winning a major trophy ever ease the pain?

Nerver!! the one thing in life that I ask for is that our children and grandchildren outlive us.

You will notice that I omitted any reference to who said it, about which team or sport, to try and keep it more general. 

However seeing that you ask, I have copied the quote below,

"Whatever else has happened and however awful the deaths of those 96 people there is still something that will ease everyone's pain - a big shiny cup with ribbons on it."

Like you I too have no idea if winning the league would ease any pain I had as like you I haven't had to endure what these poor people have had to go through. What I do think though is that the families of the 96 will welcome such genuine concern

No mention of Hillsborough victims in the initial thread, that only came to light in reply to a question about the thread.

I am aware that any comments about Hillsborough are likely to be classed as disrespectful, which is why I was surprised to read that  someone seemed happy enough to say that winning a trophy would "ease everyone's pain" which to my mind is just as disrespectful.

I too can't imagine what those families have been through, but I can assure you that If I had a son or daughter killed in a similar way I doubt very much that my favourite team winning a trophy would make any difference to my feelings, and would probably be more upset that a spokesperson assumed that it would.

people deal with grief and death and pain in so many different ways. It is possible that the relative of one of the 96 may well get a good feeling by Liverpool winning the title by thinking of how happy their deceased relative would be to witness it, and if that is the way they deal with their own grief, who are we to criticise?

There are far too many snidy remarks regarding the Hillsborough tragedy; it amazes me that anyone can find comfort in trying to make light or capital out of the deaths of so many innocent people

• Upvote 1

people deal with grief and death and pain in so many different ways. It is possible that the relative of one of the 96 may well get a good feeling by Liverpool winning the title by thinking of how happy their deceased relative would be to witness it, and if that is the way they deal with their own grief, who are we to criticise?

There are far too many snidy remarks regarding the Hillsborough tragedy; it amazes me that anyone can find comfort in trying to make light or capital out of the deaths of so many innocent people

Well said Baz, it's good to see that, even though I already knew it, not all people with different colour scarves are as keen to use the deaths of 96 innocent folk to try to score points against others.  Obviously this thread was started as a flamer and maybe we shouldn't feed the trolls.

You would know all about flamers PJ.

However, I find it strange that a freely available news article in a local paper cannot be discussed simply because of it's references to Hillsborough.

Planes crashing, ferry's sinking, wars, road accidents etc etc, all events where someone dies are openly discussed and even joked about.

I purposely removed all reference to Hillsborough from the thread and a few posters treated it as a general question.

Of course as soon as Hillsborough was mentioned (after a request) then the attacks started, about finding comfort in trying to make light of the deaths, being disrespectful and feeding the troll, even though no disrespect was shown. It emphasises on here what is happening around the country that discussion is fine as long as you toe the line.

Hillsborough is a very emotive and touchy subject but I find it quite sad when I read people's comments when they start 'arguing' with each other about it on here or anywhere else :(

Like Robbo says the quote was from a newspaper article.  I googled after the question was asked and I'd answered etc but just because I then knew what it was actually about I didn't then think that Robbo's thread or question was being disrespectful to the 96 or their families in any way.

Just saying like.......

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well put Baz

• Upvote 1