45 Vitrol square Earlestown

sylvia131

vitrol square earlstown was part of sankey sugar works by the lookm of it. probably housing for the workers at sanky sugar mill. did find a page that showed a list of names of many of the workers with addresses at vitrol square. (also showed a reference number to where the census info came from if that helps.) seems that only one or two house numbers are listed against the names.

Seems vitrol square is a bit of a misnoner as it only had three sides of houses. will keep my eyes oopen and see what else i can dig up. (i did note that one of the names was listed at an address in grafton street, which is the street adjoining where i live)

• Upvote 1

Just seen an aerial view photograph of it  shown as being part of what is now Sankey Valley Industrial Estate....looking  at the photo it was on land that  is now either M.Knight Transport or  Shawton Engineering. On the photo the Mucky Mountains are clearly visible & the site has a list of workers names. Just google "Vitriol Square Earlestown."

• Upvote 1

This link is really good and shows photo's of the houses on Vitriol Square and other building there and also a descriptions part way down of the conditions the people lived in.  It doesn't sound very nice really

http://www.newton-le-willows.org/history/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1181&start=0 

The census returns for 1871/1881 show it was being in the

Township of  Newton In Makerfield
Town of Newton
Urban Sanitary District of Newton
Ecclesiastical Parish of Emmanuel

and although it doesn't say it on the hand written census return sheets the details show it as also being

County Lancashire Country ENGLAND Registration District WARRINGTON

When did Leonard Live at 45 Vitriol Square Sylvia131 ?  

The Brindle's living at 7 Grafton Street, Warrington are definitely yours as Leonard Ball aged 8 is living there with them (illigitamate son of Phoebe)... but then you already know that but no harm in us both refreshing our memories eh lol :wink:

When did Leonard Live at 45 Vitriol Square Sylvia131 ?  

The Brindle's living at 7 Grafton Street, Warrington are definitely yours as Leonard Ball aged 8 is living there with them (illigitamate son of Phoebe)... but then you already know that but no harm in us both refreshing our memories eh lol :wink:

yes im getting there now probably because you have had to repeat yourself several times lol xx

:lol: :lol:   So.... when roughly did Leonard Live at 45 Vitriol Square then (repeat) I know it must be after the 1911 census but will see if I can find him in another directory listing I have access too if you give me a clue.

I'm going for a lie down in a very dark and quiet room..... with a large bottle :lol:

But before I do.. where did you 'save' [Child] of Phebe..etc'  from or did I tell you that.  Phebe/Pheobe same difference I guess as a lot of people couldn't spell back then anyway and things were often written phonetically (did I spell that right) 8)

I forgot to press 'post' so this is why this next reply is straight after....

I just found another Leonard Ball on the ancestry 'tree match'  and census and both being born in Earlestown AARGH !!

Now the persons tree could be wrong so I will have to check the records but some matches what we have for Phoebe (your Leonards mum)...  BUT IT GETS WORSE AS IT ALSO SHOWS

Leonard Ball born 1908 (age 2 at 1911 census... so born 1909)

His parents are John William/Willie Ball  and  Elizabeth JONES !!!

To make matters even more confusing the father John Willie Ball has a SISTER Phoebe Emma Ball and her age, place of birth etc also ties in with the Phoebe and illigitmate son Leonard we have on another 1911 census return.

I need valium....

Sylvia, you mention the Brindle family....i know of Alistair Brindle who used to play for Warrington ,but he lives in Burtonwood now & must be well in his 70s. I think he may originate from the Grafton St area of Warrington. As for the two Grafton Streets mentioned in previous posts , the ones in Warrington & Earlestown are 2 different streets in 2 different towns about 5 miles apart. The main part of the postcode for Earlestown / Newton-le-Willows is WA12.

Sylvia, you mention the Brindle family....i know of Alistair Brindle who used to play for Warrington ,but he lives in Burtonwood now & must be well in his 70s. I think he may originate from the Grafton St area of Warrington. As for the two Grafton Streets mentioned in previous posts , the ones in Warrington & Earlestown are 2 different streets in 2 different towns about 5 miles apart. The main part of the postcode for Earlestown / Newton-le-Willows is WA12.

Would be intresting to find out, Also my stepdad used to talk to me about his relation called tony brindle who had something to do with the hovercraft, i dont know which relation he was the only ones have so far is him parents and some siblings. :P