Pollution / Air Quality

Bill

I think watching the telly over the last few days explains exactly why so many people are so sceptical about climate change. The environmentalists were out in their numbers pushing their gloom and doom theories, while the weather people were telling us that 95% of the problem is caused by a combination of ultra fine dust particles blown in from the Sahara and a largely stationary air mass.

Showing a heavily contaminated filter from an air quality measuring unit, their spokesperson launched into end of the world type spiel suggesting we are all going to die from respiratory diseases unless we all give up our cars and start walking. The scientist on the other hand stated that what we were seeing was just dust and that the pollution levels although very high because of the weather were infinitely better that they were fifty years ago.  He went on to say, that we need to keep things in perspective and to note that the high levels being recorded in London at the moment were one hundred times less than some other major cities around the world.

Rant over.

Bill :)

Theories, that is all they are!, motorised vehicles are here to stay until something better comes along, pollution is here to stay and the climate is the climate, they are facts.
The photo shows Thames Board Mill being built in 1937, look at the pollution over Warrington then, what we have today is nothing compared with those days.

warrington1930s_zpsab5fbb56.jpg

Algy...hope you don't mind... I just edited your post as your image was taking everyone to your full photobucket account and other pics when it was clicked on as you had not used the 'direct link' code :wink: x

PS that pollution looks just like the view from Hill Cliff yesterday afternoon...well actually there was NO view.

:lol: :lol: :lol: As long as it was smoke from your actual pipe as you smoked it Victor and not from putting it LIT in your trouser pocket again ... muppet :P :lol:

By the way... who woke you up and I'm surprised you managed to remember your log in details as you've been gone for so long. 

Nice to have you back on here.....I've had nobody to be cheeky or mean too for ages :wink: x

Call what we had the other day pollution not a patch on the pollution we had in my day.

Not sure about the romans but we used to get some really thick choking fogs when I was a nipper. lasted for days and you could barely see the edge of the kerb at times. Remember one time walking to bewsey school with my dad and my sister and we got lost walking down folly lane from wilson street and there are no turn offs on that road until you get to bewsey road.

So is the air quality actually better today than it was when you were young Davy or is it worse and we just can't see what's being pumped out around us now ?

As for car pollution the designers keep designing them, the manufacturers keep making them, that sales places keep selling them and people keep buying them because they need them and like you say the government makes money all along the way so there is no solution that I can see there especially as public transport is so naff and expensive.

It cost me £1.80 to get from Stockton Heath to town on the bus at weekend and I got soaked.  I walked over to the pink eye roundabout to pick my car up as that was another pound by bus and you can get two meat and potato pasties for 1p less :lol:

At xmas I parked my car near the Pink Eye for ease as town was chocker. 

As it was raining I waited at the nearby bus stop to go to the bus station (lazy I know). The first bus came along, it wasn't a red one, and the driver said £1.60 please (or was it 80).  I queried that cos in the past it had only ever been a pound.  He huffed and said that was the price so I got off.  Next one came along after about a minute and they said the same so I got off that one too... he rolled his eyes ha ha. 
A minute later along came a red on and that was £1.  I never knew there was such a price difference for the same journey depending on bus operator.

Like you I usually always use my car too and until they drop the price of pubilc transport I will continue to do so as for using a bike all the time well no thanks unless they do adult ones with stabilisers and boots .  
PS If Rod King is reading we now have THREE cars for ease and strangely enough having a 3rd one is actually working out cheaper in family fuel costs.... he wont be a happy bunny when he reads that after all the hassle he used to give me over car/public transport vs car costs  :P

Dizzy, like Sid said previously, the fogs & smogs in the 50s/60s & probably for a couple of hundred years before that were real killers with all sorts of toxic fumes being thrown out of factory chimneys. The pollution now though is caused mostly by traffic with diesel fumes being one of the most toxic. I have worked in an environment of exposure to diesel fumes & it has,without realising at the time, ruined my chest & caused heart problems which have led to my HGV licence being revoked. Apparently there is information on the internet about exposure to & problems caused by diesel fumes.

On Thursday's  BBC one o'clock news, at the start of the show where the news reader tells us what to expect , there was something mentioned about so many people  in Britain dying from pollution related illnesses. At the time we had a house full so i thought i would watch the article at six o'clock ,but  it wasn't included at six. Did anyone see it ?