Manchester Ship canal Steam Locos.

algy

Although these locomotives never stayed in the Warrington area they would certainly have travelled the contractors lines that were laid along the bankings and the bed of the canal passing through Moore to Thelwall and beyond so I feel justified at posting here.

T1313_zpse6dba355.jpg

Name - STRETFORD. Saddle Tank. Hudswell Clarke & Co. 1888. Makers No.299.

T1312_zps731a8ec6.jpg

Name - BARHAM. Saddle Tank. Manufacturer Manning Wardle. 1888. Makers No.1036.

T1310_zps1168f017.jpg

Name - LYMM. Saddle Tank. Manufacturer Hunslet Engine Co. 1888. Makers No.452.

T1309_zps70db4e17.jpg

Unknown Saddle Tank being used as a static boiler providing steam.

T1308_zpsad2738fe.jpg

Name - TRAFFORD. Saddle Tank. Manufacturer Hunslet Engine Co. 1888. Makers No.444.

T1307_zps7e4bf009.jpg

Name - IRWELL. Saddle Tank. Manufacturer Hunslet Engine Co. 1887. Makers No.435.

T1306_zps3ab803b9.jpg

Name - DOVER. Saddle Tank. Manufacturer. Manning Wardle 1878. Makers No. 688.

T1311_zps6827b5b7.jpg

Navvies gathered by the side of the track with an unknown loco in the background.

The Irwell Saddle Tank was still (IIRC) in use in 1950's as it delivered the wages  by pulling a security wagon the length of the canal calling at all locks and engineering shops en route.I remember waiting at Latchford with my Dad on a Thursday dinner time for it to arrive. 

when you enlarge this you can see the line running under the Canterlever past My House and on to The Locks.

• Upvote 1

Great photos Algy and good one of the Cantilever too Latchy.

I was reading some old stuff about the Manchester Ship canal the other day and all the work equipment and many of the locomotives/saddle tank were sold at auction when it was complete.

You could have bought one of those for between £300 and  £500.  Sounds cheap but back then that would have been a lot of money.

Why were they called  'Saddle Tanks' ?

Were these just used during construction or for maintenance work throughout the life of the canal ?  Are there still tracks alongside the canal  or have they given way to road vehicles to maintain the waterway?

They were removed many decades ago davy and the section from Knutsford Rd, swing bridge almost to Latchford Locks has apartments built on the land.

Looking from the Latchford Locks direction.

latchford_zps8b7ce085.jpg

The railway tracks were removed in the 1980's but I can't be more precise than that.

Latchford Locks, with an avatar and the background that you have I thought you may be interested in this, I have posted two video clips of shipping in the MSC, I had two posted on Youtube and have replaced those with these two, they are much longer in duration and larger format.

Latchford Locks, with an avatar and the background that you have I thought you may be interested in this, I have posted two video clips of shipping in the MSC, I had two posted on Youtube and have replaced those with these two, they are much longer in duration and larger format.

Have just watched them Marvelous memories especially the clips of The Timber Yard and My House in the background I kept expecting to see myself playing on the canal bank  :P