Team shot for posters of a certain age

Latchford Locks

Suppose Me and Safe's remember this side but who else ?

This was the year we lost to all conquering Wakefield Trinity in the semi final of the cup by 5 - 2 at Station Rd .

I was there and distraught  :(

Anybody who was there will remember the infamous call...." Pick... Pick... Pick "  still haunts me to this day  :shock:

I remember that game well, Laurie Gilfedder is still around and lives not far from me. When I was a young sprog Alistair Brindle would turn out on a Sunday morning to play with us local Lower Walton lads on Morley Common, could you imagine a Wolves prop doing that today, I don't think so!.

I remember that game well, Laurie Gilfedder is still around and lives not far from me. When I was a young sprog Alistair Brindle would turn out on a Sunday morning to play with us local Lower Walton lads on Morley Common, could you imagine a Wolves prop doing that today, I don't think so!.

I used to go and watch them training at Loushers Lane on Tuesday nights I stood transfixed looking at my heroes  :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

Remember them all...I may have told this before...I went into Greenalls Brewery to pick up a couple of pallets of beer but didn't know whereabouts in the brewery to go.I stopped at the loading bay to enquire and who should come out but Laurie Gilfedder...He put his arm round my shoulder and pointed they way. I looked at him and told him he used to be my hero....He just smiled and at that moment I was reduced to feeling like a giggly schoolgirl meeting Take That.

That video showed the reason I started watching the game. The modern game is totally different with the obsession that half backs and loose forward should have a good *kicking game* which isn't a very hard skill to develop and is extremely boring, the object being to filch a mistake from defenders resulting in most tries coming from close range. Back in the day kicking was the last thing on players minds....running with the ball  and beating defenders was the order of the day. I've had enough of it and won't be renewing the season ticket....I'll watch it on TV but won't be attending any of the matches. It holds no interest to me anymore.

That video showed the reason I started watching the game. The modern game is totally different with the obsession that half backs and loose forward should have a good *kicking game* which isn't a very hard skill to develop and is extremely boring, the object being to filch a mistake from defenders resulting in most tries coming from close range. Back in the day kicking was the last thing on players minds....running with the ball  and beating defenders was the order of the day. I've had enough of it and won't be renewing the season ticket....I'll watch it on TV but won't be attending any of the matches. It holds no interest to me anymore.

I agree. The game is now more about fitness than flair. The modern player is, overall, bigger, fitter and faster than the players of that era. Defence is the order of the day leaving little room for the skilful player to manoeuvre. In fact where are the skilful,flair players today? Have such instincts been coached out of them? Jiffy is the last I can remember with that explosive speed off the mark to take him past defenders. Oh for a few more like him but I fear not, particularly when it is considered part of the game to flatten half backs after the ball has gone. Kicking has always been an integral part of the game though and does require skill. For example Alec Murphy's kicking game played a big part in the 74 CC final but I know what you mean with the predictable speculative punt into the corner on the sixth tackle for the winger to jump for or the equally predictable little grubber into the in goal area. This does require skill but it is predictable and not that entertaining. Perhaps if the rules were changed to give possession to the defending side we may see less of this. Remember when it was the tactic for the half back to kick for the corner from the halfway line for the likes of Bev to chase and the whole crowd used to erupt in anticipation as the foot race developed. Alas those days have gone and, when you have props as fast as wingers, I cannot see them returning. Even when sides lose by a cricket score it seems they have been more steam rollered than blinded with science.