Facebook Page

Bazj

bazj

don't think the Admins will give up the f/b group that easy they worked hard to get that going with little help , think its a family thing they have done a great job ive been on from the beginning & watched a few good comments/ arguments,  they keep the site add free and trouble makers are just removed instantly as  all those stupid dating things and people selling stuff like shoes & adds for work  , for me it does what it says on the tin ,

• Upvote 1

bazj

don't think the Admins will give up the f/b group that easy they worked hard to get that going with little help , think its a family thing they have done a great job ive been on from the beginning & watched a few good comments/ arguments,  they keep the site add free and trouble makers are just removed instantly as  all those stupid dating things and people selling stuff like shoes & adds for work  , for me it does what it says on the tin ,

Can't blame the Admins for not wanting to give the FB group up as it's great but it's completely dead on there now so if you don't hurry up and open it again some of the people might not bother going back even when you do after it was closed so suddenly and without warning :(   Just saying like....... and nowt to do with me really.

• Upvote 1

bazj

I think BazJ was responding to Culedude (admin of the FB site) when he said ", I would quite happily "hand over the keys" to the whole project."  :D

It is quite sad as I know that Culedude would not have wanted things to go this way nor did the members of the FB site.  It is a shame as even though I rarely posted I did enjoy looking at the images and following the threads.

I think BazJ was responding to Culedude (admin of the FB site) when he said ", I would quite happily "hand over the keys" to the whole project."  :D

It is quite sad as I know that Culedude would not have wanted things to go this way nor did the members of the FB site.  It is a shame as even though I rarely posted I did enjoy looking at the images and following the threads.

I can't help feeling that I was partly instrumental in the way that things panned out, but my initial intention was that the Old Photos of Warrington should be available for all to see that is why I posted them on the FB site. then I was persuaded to move them across to the new site but then decided to removed them from the new site because I had obviously misread the signals from the admin on there and I still maintain that if the introduction of WPhotomag had been more explicit then I and others would have had a better understanding of how it would operate, that transition stage was totally confusing!.

• Upvote 1

bazj

With all due respect, they started a Facebook group... it isn't rocket science and administering it isn't either.

Yes it takes a little time to weed out the nonsense, but because the group is a closed group, most of the usual idiots can be weeded out before they get to the posting phase.

It is a shame that it is going to be left to die; because it is blindingly obvious that they will not re-open it now that they have their new project to look after. I can pretty much guarantee that they won't get the 5000+ members they had on Facebook though, as a website with a forum is nowhere near as user friendly as using Facebook.

The images posted to Facebook can be easily archived into albums and groups and can be downloaded and saved to be reposted again if Facebook did ever decide to pull the plug on the group (which is highly unlikely as a website with copyrighted images is just as likely to disappear as a Facebook group with copyrighted images)

As I said, I would be quite prepared to take over the running of the Facebook group..... the original creators would be more than welcome to keep access rights etc. but to let the thriving Facebook community that it was, die away because the admins have decided to do something else is bad news for everyone who was a member on there.... What if they decide to create another interest in the future?

I don't know why every 1 cant use both use both groups like me it seems every one wants the same outcome 2 sites is better than one & I cant see the f/b group closing there are a few admins on there  don't think they all want to close it down its a history group run pretty well the members are getting more each day so no harms been done I msg,d  the admin yesterday he said nothing is going to change so seems a lot of panic about nothing,as for running the group, bazj they did start and run it with success I might add  no 1 else did ,so a lot of credit is due to whoever is in  charge rocket science no but they did it they instigated members   and a hell of a lot of people are enjoying it rows or no row,s ? the members even like a good debate

I don't know why every 1 cant use both use both groups like me it seems every one wants the same outcome 2 sites is better than one & I cant see the f/b group closing there are a few admins on there  don't think they all want to close it down its a history group run pretty well the members are getting more each day so no harms been done I msg,d  the admin yesterday he said nothing is going to change so seems a lot of panic about nothing,as for running the group, bazj they did start and run it with success I might add  no 1 else did ,so a lot of credit is due to whoever is in  charge rocket science no but they did it they instigated members   and a hell of a lot of people are enjoying it rows or no row,s ? the members even like a good debate

But both sites are not open.... that is the problem. People are drifting away to the other Warrington photos and memories sites while the admin are playing the game of trying to get everyone onto their website.

Yes I would agree that two sites are better than one, but the better one (In my opinion) is closed so people aren't posting and sharing their pictures. The Facebook group was a roaring success and indeed; credit where it is due, the admin team did a good job in starting and running it, but now they are in danger of throwing away all of that work by keeping it closed.

I am no computer idiot, I can use a website; I have built them and hosted them and still run a few too, but I just preferred the Facebook group for posting and sharing the photos I have put up and I am sure I am not alone in that....

Why they cannot just change the rules of the FB group to add a line like "any photos posted here may be also shown at......" I don't know. If that is in the rules of the group, anyone signing up automatically would have to agree. That way the photos are shared across the two places and not just one......

• Upvote 1

But both sites are not open.... that is the problem. People are drifting away to the other Warrington photos and memories sites while the admin are playing the game of trying to get everyone onto their website.

Yes I would agree that two sites are better than one, but the better one (In my opinion) is closed so people aren't posting and sharing their pictures. The Facebook group was a roaring success and indeed; credit where it is due, the admin team did a good job in starting and running it, but now they are in danger of throwing away all of that work by keeping it closed.

I am no computer idiot, I can use a website; I have built them and hosted them and still run a few too, but I just preferred the Facebook group for posting and sharing the photos I have put up and I am sure I am not alone in that....

Why they cannot just change the rules of the FB group to add a line like "any photos posted here may be also shown at......" I don't know. If that is in the rules of the group, anyone signing up automatically would have to agree. That way the photos are shared across the two places and not just one......

Couldn't agree more. I run a couple of fb pages and run various blogs, community websites etc, it's not that hard. If I were Queen of everything I'd have done exactly as you say, change the rules of the group, post photos from fb to my own website and gently coax people across. Not kill the goose that laid the golden egg by choking off the community. Wordpress isn't exactly user friendly for sharing photos imho, however it's almost like fb was designed for that purpose  :rolleyes:

(I REALLY wish Gary could tell us what he's thinking!)

• Upvote 2

bazj  I think that's what they are trying to do have you messaged the admin they are pretty fair and do listen to comments ?

The words "I think" are very telling..... the problem is that nobody knows.... they are holding everyone in limbo; not knowing whether the site is going to open again. I have a few new photos that I want to share but they are going on the Warrington memories site as I just don't agree with what has been done.

As for listening to comments; they haven't shown much interest in doing that; plus they have already renaged on two promises to lift the restrictions on the Facebook group.... the comment "We will be opening up this Facebook page to all users to post photos/comments again in the coming days once Warrington Photomag is reasonably established" has been shown at the top of the group since early this month.

Just open the group and share the photos between the group and their new project.... that way everyone is happy; unless there is something I am missing?

• Upvote 1

I have remained a member of Warrington Photomag although I must admit I expected to have my membership removed after the kerfuffle I created, however I had my status allowing me to upload photos removed and have been informed that I can no longer post photos as I don't have 'Author' status and can only post comments, I would normally have terminated my membership but feel it to my advantage to be able to see just what is being posted on the site, the activity appears to be very slow on there with only a couple of members regularly posting photos and that is not often, also the forum again is going slowly with the last post being about 7 hrs 48 mins ago.

Gary, great to see you have been watching the Warrington Peeps at the Past from My You Tube site. :wink:

• Upvote 3

Algy... why do you keep saying that you feel it is your fault and because of the so called 'kerfuffle' think you created.  :cry:

Goodness me all you did was remove your own photos just as anyone could have done and I very much doubt that caused any 'kerfuffle' at all other than the disappointment from those who had enjoyed seeing them on the FB page..... but then they DID see them and you had loads of replies and thanks for sharing them so nobody has missed out as they all saw them :)

It's just like on this site where so many people have enjoyed seeing them over the years and commented but when they go not one person on here has ever moaned or whinged.  We have all been THANKFULL just as we still are when you share so many other wonderful things on here  !!   

So stop being so hard on yourself or I will be giving you a right telling of... you didn't do anything wrong at all unless you have been telling porkies and you are really the admin on the other site and it was you who pulled the FB plug out really and spoilt all the fun  :lol:  :P

Edit... no disrespect meant to the Admin over there of course