Most inconvenient.

P J

Lt Kije, you are entitled to your opinion the same as everyone else. What you aren't entitled to do is to shut down a discussion because you don't agree with what is being said or because you find it boring. If you don't like what is being said (by other people who are just as entitled as you to an opinion) then don't bother reading it. Simple.

Lt Kije, you are entitled to your opinion the same as everyone else. What you aren't entitled to do is to shut down a discussion because you don't agree with what is being said or because you find it boring. If you don't like what is being said (by other people who are just as entitled as you to an opinion) then don't bother reading it. Simple.

So please explain how this works?  How on earth will he know not to bother reading the dross until he has read it first to find out that it's dross? :wink:  not so simple

CH 4 News did a piece on Sweden; who are setting a liberal Kije style example of letting in all the world's waifs and strays. One Town near Stockholm, with a total population of 90,000, has 30,000 immigrants; living in unassimilated colonies; to the point where local services are now feeling the strain.

Your insults get less and less funny Lt.

Get over it Asp

I find something slightly pathetic about a person who can insult people, but cannot take it back, if you wish not to be insulted may I suggest you don't insult people in the first place. As you have done many times over many threads :wink:

You deserve a better answer than that fugs, my reason for stating "half or more don't possess passports" was purely a guesstimate as no one seems to know the true number of foreigners either illegal or legal that are here in the UK, so how does anyone arrive at a true figure?. The hotel that I worked for used housekeeping staff from a Korean agency and they rotated their staff around weekly, they were bussed in and out and all were here illegally!.

Is that what passes for logic in this debate? They are illegal immigrants therefore they do not possess passports? I think I'm too pedantic for this discussion; I shall read and enjoy, but keep my trap shut. 

Is that what passes for logic in this debate? They are illegal immigrants therefore they do not possess passports? I think I'm too pedantic for this discussion; I shall read and enjoy, but keep my trap shut. 

By definition a foreign national is a person who is not a citizen of the host country in which he or she is residing or temporarily sojourning, I did not state that all foreigners were illegal and did not have passports, I stated that "as no one seems to know the true number of foreigners either illegal or legal that are here in the UK, so how does anyone arrive at a true figure", that has been proven by the extreme lack of efficiency by the Border Agency, regarding my statement about the hotel employing contract labour that were illegal imigrants, that is fact as when the hotel management were made aware of the fact they terminated the conract with the agency and informed the relevant authorities.

I will concede that there are foreigners here that have no passports and that they are awaiting a decision on there application for political asylum.

whereas the foreign workers over here, half or more don't possess passports.

I'll concede that, but not for the reason you implied  :mrgreen:

I will concede that there are foreigners here that have no passports and that they are awaiting a decision on there application for political asylum.

Why link passports to legality at all? There are thousand of EEA nationals working legally in the UK without passports as they can travel with a simple ID card. Likewise there are also an uncounted number who entered the country legally with a passport, but failed to leave when required to. 

Ah forgot - demand on the NHS is going up (wonder why?!); and our own kids are coming out of University with Dance degrees instead of medical degrees, so I guess it makes sense. Plus; the Bulgarian Doctors will be able to treat their own compatriots when they come over in January, thus saving on interpreter costs ! Come on Kije; it's a mess and you know it.

...and our own kids are coming out of University with Dance degrees instead of medical degrees,...

Would be dancers don't necessarily make good doctors, and if they're paying an average tuition fee of not far short of 9k a year (across any discipline) they can study whatever they want to, imo.

All the other stuff in that post is the usual Littlejohnesque casual bigotry.

Good luck with you and your Dancin' Doctor.

I'll concede that, but not for the reason you implied  :mrgreen:
Likewise there are also an uncounted number who entered the country legally with a passport, but failed to leave when required to.

Totty, would you care to explain what your understanding is regarding my implied reasoning, also am I to assume that you agree with the final part of the statement you made, if so can you wonder with that kind of attitude that it is no surprise that our national financial resources are being drained away supporting the dregs and cast offs of Europe.

Not all young people have the ability to further there education by going on to university, many struggle with there education through no fault of there own and on leaving school have to compete for non professional employment, some only able to do menial tasks, these youngster are having to compete for jobs with many of these people coming to the UK from Europe who are willing to work for 'buttons', I am not blaming  foreigners for coming here after all, put most of us in there unenviable situation and I'm sure we would do exactly the same, what I am saying is we need a watertight system to control the movement and immigration of people into this country or we are really going to be in serious trouble, when the money dries up it's not only the young that will suffer but also the old people will starve, but Hey! that doesn't matter to us does it, we won't be here, we will have had our gravy train and moved on to a higher or lower plain, ( yes I am conveying contempt!).

Kije - we have a growing population - wonder why?! Fugt; Just in case you haven't noticed, we live in a world of global competition, where we need the skills necessary to "compete", if we are to earn more than we consume; and frankly degrees in singing and dancing don't cut it. We need Doctors, Scientists, Engineers etc, and the Gov should be investing in our future, by not charging for such degree courses. Neither, should the Gov be paying dole to those refusing the work that is available, cos they have some mickey mouse degree - a job's a job at the end of the day. It's the curse of the old to watch the young make mistakes; the only consolation is that the young will have to lie on the bed they are making; the old won't be around to witness the car crash.

• Upvote 1

One of the main reasons we have a growing population is because people are living longer Obs.

"Main Reasons"? and you have proof of this?

The population in the UK in 2012 grew by 243,000 38% of that was down to immigration (148,700 people ).

The rest was ‘natural change’, with 243,900 more people being born than having died. 196,000 were children born to non-UK born women - or 24 per cent.

(Figures from the ONS)

• Upvote 1

frankly degrees in singing and dancing don't cut it...

Well, performing arts degrees don't compare too badly with some "serious" subjects:

http://www.hecsu.ac.uk/assets/assets/documents/WDGD_Oct_2012.pdf

And, like I said, these kids are paying stiff tuition fees so they can study what they like as far as I'm concerned.

We need Doctors, Scientists, Engineers etc, and the Gov should be investing in our future, by not charging for such degree courses...

Agreed.

Best I ignore the rest eh?

Even you will remember what the last Labour Gov did Fugts:  they went off on a drive to get 50% of school leavers into University; sadly, they forgot about the other 50%, and in order to achieve this objective dumbed down the exam process and created mickey mouse degrees to attain it. If the Country needs Doctors, Engineers etc, in order to compete in the world, it should be paying to produce them, hence no tuition fees. As for individuals choosing their subject, fine; but if it's not essential to our future economic wellbeing, imo they can pay for it themselves. As for the 50%, who were deserted by Labour, little or no help was given to improve their skills base and provide further education and training in vocational course; again for the overall benefit of the Country. The whole shambles is due to our political system, which is centred on short term electioneering, with a 5 year time horizon; it doesn't allow Gov to make the long term plans and decisions, necessary to our future success or survival in the world.