Bus strike over

Gary

The average wage for a bus driver in the UK is £19000 pa. Now I'm guessing here that most bus drivers took the job because they wanted to drive busses (and actually I find that most of them are anything but grumpy!) and knew what the salary was before they started. Nobody took a gun to their head and ordered them to drive the bus! It's very simplistic to say that they should be paid more because the fact is that the money they are paid has to come from the bus company income - i.e. fares. If the fares rise too much the customer will disappear and the income will go down. Pay the drivers double by all means, but the company will go under and the drivers will be out of a job.

Yes, but if they have a pay freeze it is a pay cut so they are getting paid less then they were. I mean, water rates up 8%, power up 8%, food up 4.3% and so on

What will happen next year, what will change?

Yes Coffee everything has gone up (water, power, fuel, food etc) and that is affecting everyone not just bus drivers.  

But the bus drivers/staff have all had pay rises for the past 16 years so as much as a pay freeze must have been very annoying for them at least they weren't getting a pay cut  or losing their jobs all together like so many other people have had to face when the companies they work for are running at a loss, being bailed out or even going bust all together. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
still out of order, they have all year to strike yet choose the most dangerous weekend possible to hold it.  Unions really do need PR officers lol

Just like the bus union bods chose to have their 'we really do mean no business'  3 day strike which just also happened to be timed so that it coincided with the town centre 'big' xmas light switch on event.

I wonder if the council or Golden Square bods offered them and incentive to scrap the strike and go back to work.  Back stage 'passes' to meet Rastamouse :lol:   Errm who is that by the way :oops:

Just like the bus union bods chose to have their 'we really do mean no business'  3 day strike which just also happened to be timed so that it coincided with the town centre 'big' xmas light switch on event.

I wonder if the council or Golden Square bods offered them and incentive to scrap the strike and go back to work.  Back stage 'passes' to meet Rastamouse :lol:   Errm who is that by the way :oops:

I dare you to ask A d a m.  left gaps to spoil his search lol

Curious, how many here have taken pay freezes this year

Not had a pay rise for a few years now and neither has my business partner.... we only get paid out of what we sell and install and if our customers are cutting back on spending it affects what we can earn.... I believe it's called "the real world".... maybe the bus drivers would like some lessons in it

Curious, how many here have taken pay freezes this year

I'm in my third year of pay freeze with no prospects of there not being a fourth or fifth, The real world indeed!!

So do you really not mind having no pay rise?

What is it you all do?

Me I am an MP and just claim expenses :)

I work in sales for a computer company,  pay increases  dependent on sales and company performance which goes up and down depending on the year. Five years ago I got a overal pay cut over the previous year but this year has been substancially better then last so I will earn a lot more.

It is OK in my view to ask people to take pay cuts or freezes if their is a prospect of greater increases in the future, but it is not the case with the bus drivers, firemen and so on, is it?

Coffee, I think you must live in the magic world where money trees grow in dense forests and some employers pay low wages just to be nasty to the workers. Unfortunately the real world isn't like that. Of course it would be nice to get a pay rise each year but it isn't always possible. In my case I could always go looking for a better paid job elsewhere but I happen to like it where I am. Money isn't everything, job satisfaction counts for a lot.

Coffee.... the fact that you are a salesman puts you in a different league to most people when it comes to pay. You obviously work in a job which enables you to almost be the master of your own destiny when it comes to pay; work and sell harder, your sales increase and your commission rises as a result. That works fine when your customers are also doing well and are also spending.

The bus company (and especially the drivers) are different because they are not working for a company that is booming; in fact quite the opposite. As PJ pointed out above, the cost of getting a bus keeps on increasing to a point where it is now cheaper to get a door to door service from a taxi than it is to get a bus to town when there is more than one person travelling so passenger numbers are falling; revenue is decreasing so there is no additional money for pay rises. That is the world of market forces....if you are too expensive, people will go elsewhere and if you are cheap enough; people will use your company.

Personally, I am with Asperity on this; money isn't everything, job satisfaction and terms, perks and everything else make the experience. I would find it very difficult to work for someone else after working for myself for 15 years, even though I could probably earn a lot more money doing what I do for someone else...... work-life balance I think they call it

Teachers and Coppers have not had a pay rise since 2010.

Point taken.... me neither :)

But they have the luxury of being able to retire a lot earlier than those in the private sector Robbo... I'd have a pay freeze if I could retire after 30 years like most current coppers... in fact I would have retired 2 years ago if I'd joined at 18!

Point taken.... me neither :)

But they have the luxury of being able to retire a lot earlier than those in the private sector Robbo... I'd have a pay freeze if I could retire after 30 years like most current coppers... in fact I would have retired 2 years ago if I'd joined at 18!

From 1 October 2006, compulsory retirement ages are as follows:

• for a constable, sergeant. inspector or chief inspector, 60 years.
  • for an officer with any higher rank, 65 years.

I know they changed it, but I was pointing out that most coppers are still on the 30 year rule. Police officers can currently still retire at 55 but on a reduced pension I believe.... and as I said, I would have been retired for 2 years now and probably back working for the police in a civilian role (as a lot have done and still do now)

Coffee, I think you must live in the magic world where money trees grow in dense forests and some employers pay low wages just to be nasty to the workers. Unfortunately the real world isn't like that. Of course it would be nice to get a pay rise each year but it isn't always possible. In my case I could always go looking for a better paid job elsewhere but I happen to like it where I am. Money isn't everything, job satisfaction counts for a lot.

You must live in a world where the bank manager pays your mortgage and fairies bring you your food. Unfortunately the real world is not like that, if I want to eat Tesco want money for the groceries I wish to take away, if I do not pay the Eon they will turn the power off,  if I do not pay WBC they will take me to court, if I do not pay my bank the monthly mortgage they will send round some men to throw me out.

It is great that you guys can afford to do what you like doing, but most of use in the real world can not afford to do that! I too like my job,well most of the time but I would rather be a photographer or a ski instructor, but I need to pay the bills.

I don't know what the answer is to Warrington Buses losses, but it is a public service.

I pay my bills with the money I earn from working. I don't buy things I can't afford, or ask the public purse to pay me more because I feel undervalued.

Warrington buses aren't a public service, if they were they would be paid for out of taxation and not need to pay their own way. We could all travel to town for a few pence and all the buses would be full all the time. You claim to know what the real world is like but your expectations give lie to that idea. The world owes no-one a living, so it's up to everyone to do the best they can and to help those who aren't able (that's the welfare state by the way).

Isn't the Bus company under a contract to provide a public service???

No. It's a bus company not a charity.

So why did the council bail it out?

You tell me!

Because it is owned by the council and as an example the bins are picked up by a private company, that does not make it a non public service

if it is not a public service it should close down the no profitable routes and concentrate on these that are making money.

The drivers are not charity workers either

Just wonder where people think the money comes from for all these pay rises?

One of the reasons people don't use the buses, is, imo, the fact that you have to walk long distances to the bus-stop in all sorts of weathers. If you are elderly or have any disabilities, this is not encouraging. Easier to get a lift with a neighbour. Shopping on a bus??? How does that work?

Just wonder where people think the money comes from for all these pay rises?

Where does the money come from to give 14% pay increases to some  in the council

I still do not get why your all so against the bus drivers wanting a pay rise?

Archived