Bus strike over

Gary

A pitty 80% of the members didn't vote last time as perhaps it could have been sorted weeks ago :wink:

I'm guessing that means the free parking in all the car parks in town on Wed, Thurs and Friday this week that the council have promised wont be happening now though :(  Damn !! 

I'd still sack them all and get drivers who actually want to work for the wages on offer

Totally agree!!!! They earn about £0.20 an hour in Bangladesh, no holidays I wouldn't pay workers any more then that.

Managment of course deserve inflation busting pay increases, pensions, company cars,...

Totally agree!!!! They earn about £0.20 an hour in Bangladesh, no holidays I wouldn't pay workers any more then that.

Managment of course deserve inflation busting pay increases, pensions, company cars,...

what has Bangladesh got to do with it? These are well paid drivers who, backed by their lefty (and completely useless union, threw their dummies out because they didn't get a pay rise; the first time they haven't in 13 years...

As for the management; I have no idea what they get paid but you don't see them striking. As for company cars; don't they get a bus pass?

what has Bangladesh got to do with it? These are well paid drivers who, backed by their lefty (and completely useless union, threw their dummies out because they didn't get a pay rise; the first time they haven't in 13 years...

So how much do they earn? I am guessing £18 - 20,000 per year, which as they have to work shifts that include early starts and late finishing, weekends, bank holidays and they have to deal with the public which includes, drunks, as well as guide thoes large machines around busy streets I do not think it is so well paid

One of my neighbours who uses busses said something today (she has a bus pass by the way and although she found the first strike day annoying as she didn't know about but said after that it hadn't inconvenienced her at all as she just went out on a different day or altered her appointments once she realised they were giving notice.  She did say they were all lucky to have a job at all those these days so didn't agree with the strikes).

Anyway... back to what I was about to say...

She said that once she heard about this weeks planned strike she knew it would be over pretty soon and cancelled before the end of the week with a compromise/pay increase being  found and agreed.  Why I asked.... Well the town centre xmas lights are being switched on on Friday she smiled with a strange little grin  :lol:

So how much do they earn? I am guessing £18 - 20,000 per year, which as they have to work shifts that include early starts and late finishing, weekends, bank holidays and they have to deal with the public which includes, drunks, as well as guide thoes large machines around busy streets I do not think it is so well paid

Coffee; people earn a lot less than that for a lot more of a demanding job.... bus drivers don't work late on Sundays for a start. I have a mate whose wife works at the hospital. 12 hour shifts; 7 at a time where she has to deal with all sorts of bad stuff including death and terminally ill people and then has to go home and try and be all happy happy with the kids.....

The NHS staff do not earn massive salaries and have had no pay rise on many occasions during the time the bus drivers have had theirs over the past 13 years. We could quite easily have part time bus drivers in this town because the number of empty buses you see on the roads outside of rush hour is unbelievable. It would be cheaper for the bus company to send free taxis to take people where they want to go than to have these big empty things clogging the streets up

• Upvote 2

I find it hilarious that the two services mentioned happen to be absolutely dependent upon immigrant labour in order to keep them functioning, at all levels not just at the bottom as is often used by scaremongers as a way out. The majority of doctors practicing in this country were not born in Britain , probably why the job centres are full of out of work British doctors :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

And your point is what???

Maybe in an ideal world Doctors should be earning £10 million while CEOs of banks £100,000, however  I do not see why people here think bus drivers should not be paid a decent wage

I think they are. Unless you're arguing that 'driving while grumpy' is a sought after combination of skills.  

And your point is what???

Maybe in an ideal world Doctors should be earning £10 million while CEOs of banks £100,000, however  I do not see why people here think bus drivers should not be paid a decent wage

I think the NHS worker mentioned in Baz's post should be on millions a year :lol:

• Upvote 1

The average wage for a bus driver in the UK is £19000 pa. Now I'm guessing here that most bus drivers took the job because they wanted to drive busses (and actually I find that most of them are anything but grumpy!) and knew what the salary was before they started. Nobody took a gun to their head and ordered them to drive the bus! It's very simplistic to say that they should be paid more because the fact is that the money they are paid has to come from the bus company income - i.e. fares. If the fares rise too much the customer will disappear and the income will go down. Pay the drivers double by all means, but the company will go under and the drivers will be out of a job.

• Upvote 1

For what its worth, I think this strike was a bit of a waste of everyone's time and wages.  The Union clearly got this one wrong.  At least it gave a chance for the independent company offering town for a pound the chance to get its feet under the table.  £2 to town from Callands is far too much, if there are 2 of you its about the same in a cab, from the door to exactly where you are going.  Buses should have remained a public service as soon the only people who will be able to afford to use them regularly will be those with free passes.

• Upvote 1

I agree PJ and when our lad was at college it actually cost less for us to drop him off /pick him up in the car than it did for him to get two busses there and two busses back (with or without a monthly student bus pass)

When he goes out with his mates they always use taxis too rather than busses as splitting the taxi fare between them is cheaper and more convenient too.  Not sure if reliability is any better though :wink:

To be honest though I rarely uses busses other than when the free park and ride is on at xmas from near Morrisons.   Shame on me I know  :oops:  :lol:

I find it hilarious that the two services mentioned happen to be absolutely dependent upon immigrant labour in order to keep them functioning, at all levels not just at the bottom as is often used by scaremongers as a way out. The majority of doctors practicing in this country were not born in Britain , probably why the job centres are full of out of work British doctors :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

The people I went to school with and became Doctors all work abroad, one is Oz, one in Dubai and one in Scotland :)

The average wage for a bus driver in the UK is £19000 pa. Now I'm guessing here that most bus drivers took the job because they wanted to drive busses (and actually I find that most of them are anything but grumpy!) and knew what the salary was before they started. Nobody took a gun to their head and ordered them to drive the bus! It's very simplistic to say that they should be paid more because the fact is that the money they are paid has to come from the bus company income - i.e. fares. If the fares rise too much the customer will disappear and the income will go down. Pay the drivers double by all means, but the company will go under and the drivers will be out of a job.

Yes, but if they have a pay freeze it is a pay cut so they are getting paid less then they were. I mean, water rates up 8%, power up 8%, food up 4.3% and so on

What will happen next year, what will change?

I agree PJ and when our lad was at college it actually cost less for us to drop him off /pick him up in the car than it did for him to get two busses there and two busses back (with or without a monthly student bus pass)

When he goes out with his mates they always use taxis too rather than busses as splitting the taxi fare between them is cheaper and more convenient too.  Not sure if reliability is any better though :wink:

To be honest though I rarely uses busses other than when the free park and ride is on at xmas from near Morrisons.   Shame on me I know  :oops:  :lol:

Neither do I, buses  usually do not go where I want to go

Different all together PJ as if your house had been on fire (for example purposes only) or an incident had happened on the run up to bonfire night the fire brigade would still have jumped into action and come to the rescue strike or no strike.