Sankey Street Provisions - 1895

Dizzy

Sausages or bacon anyone ? 

Algy do you have an actual photo of this shop as I seem to remember seeing one of it on here at some time and it can only have been from you.

Receipt dated 1895 and what a lovely ornate invoice receipt.  Did they only sell food stuffs ?

FamilyProvosopnWarehouseSankeyStreet1895

One of life's treats to walk into Bayley isaacs and get a pie straight out of the oven - and hope the sergeant didn't catch you.   So many bakeries in that area. Of course, BI's pies were all part of a great afternoon out at Wilderspool - the whole caboodle for much less than two shillings.

Stallard mentions an oakwood shop - i remember one opposite Oakwood school, but much more vividly Titmas bakery on the corner of Padgate lane opposite to the co-op (still business premises now).

This will be very old news, but new to me  - no cobblers by the entry at the top of Hallfields road -  so many happy memories

Happy days

That is the shop I remember.  Should we be playing in Oakwood school playground, or sometimes just passing by, we'd call in.  Threepence spending would be the absolute maximum.

Oakwood was a lovely area, full of very nice people, and my associates from around there all lived for sport.

Happy days

Sausages or bacon anyone ? 

Algy do you have an actual photo of this shop as I seem to remember seeing one of it on here at some time and it can only have been from you.

Receipt dated 1895 and what a lovely ornate invoice receipt.  Did they only sell food stuffs ?

Here you are Dizz, made a special journey from facebook, I shall be glad when I've finished I don't like working away from home. :wink:

WarringtonHorsemarketStreettheBlueBellVa

• Upvote 1

Great pic Algy but it's a shame it doesn't show the whole building as it was on the old invoice eh?  Damn photographers in those day as they do frustrate me at times :lol:

Stallard, Harry.......were they just on the ground floor when you remember them as they do look rather grander than just being a pie shop/butchers type place on the receipt image I posted and are you both on that pic getting your pies (joking of course)

As for you working away from home Algy, well I class it more like you being absent without approved leave so be careful and just remember where you first 'enlisted' and belong :lol:    Maybe you need to split yourself 40/40 and the remaining 20% your wife can have... or is that still way too much for her?   :P  :lol:

Thankyou for your custom Harry.   It was mayem at four o'clock, shop packed full with kids holding pennies and h'pennies.  All gone by four thirty and only about one and six in the till !!!!

Are you sure your the staff are not 'dipping' Dizz there was more than that in when I looked at ten past three. :D:wink: