Shocked parents

Egbert

PJ   You must be winding me up because jazz doesn't get on prime time TV...more's the pity.

I don't think it was my Windows that prevented me from viewing your link, because I am on Windows 7

How could I wind up such a musically intellectual giant?  After all I like gutter music like rock,soul,disco, indie,punk,pop etc.  Don't care too much for some jazz but other stuff I like a lot, depends what mood I am in.  Then again I don't choose my playlists to impress others but to please myself.

Have you really never seen Jazz Club?  it was on the Beeb from 1994 to 1997 and Louis Balfour gained quite a cult status.  He became the laid back, cool voice of jazz.  He perfectly summed up many great and not so great avant garde jazz acts including a one word description of Aker Bilk which needed nothing further.  I was sad when the series finished.

Adam... Apologies if I'm stating the obvious to you here and I'm sure you did but I'll ask anyway :oops: ..... I'm assuming that you did also try clicking on the 'youtube'  icon on the black 'bar' at the bottom right of PJ's embedded video link when it wouldn't work for you.  Regardless though just think, you've learnt something new by having to google which you may not have know had you just simply clicked the vid then turned it straight off again :lol: :wink:      

Acker Bilk was not fit to carry George Lewis's clarinet, never mind appear on the same bill.

Algy..forgive them, they know not what they talk about. You are the first person to make a sensible comment in this conversation.

I agree with you about Acker Bilk - in fact I regard Acker Bilk as nothing more than a pop musician

Algy..forgive them, they know not what they talk about. You are the first person to make a sensible comment in this conversation.

I agree with you about Acker Bilk - in fact I regard Acker Bilk as nothing more than a pop musician

Adam I did not mean to infer that Acker Bilk was not a good clarinet player or good musician, my meaning was that as far as the clarinet was concerned he was a student compared to George Lewis being the master.

Listen to and appreciate a skilled clarinet player!. (I suggest you put your earphones on!).

Burgundy Street Blues.

You are far too kind Algy. Acker Bilk was a very ordinary clarinet player. Most of the British trad players were very ordinary and at best were just imitations of the greats liked George Lewis, Mez Mezzrow, etc.  I was more of a modernist myself so I preferred the likes of Buddy de Franco. Jimmy Hamilton (of the Duke Ellington Orchestra) was also great. But for some strange reason modern jazz largely ignored the clarinet. Benny Goodman and Woody Herman were pretty good too.

But Mr Bilk - well, I believe he learned to play in prison, which perhaps says a lot!

Just imagine if George Lewis was appearing at the Echo arena one week and Acker Bilk the following week. Now, how many people would have heard enough about George Lewis to be bothered turning up?

As for ' But Mr Bilk - well, I believe he learned to play in prison, which perhaps says a lot!' well yes it does say a lot, particularly about you. :roll:

Just imagine if George Lewis was appearing at the Echo arena one week and Acker Bilk the following week. Now, how many people would have heard enough about George Lewis to be bothered turning up?

As for ' But Mr Bilk - well, I believe he learned to play in prison, which perhaps says a lot!' well yes it does say a lot, particularly about you. :roll:

It would be a flipping miracle  and and a bit of a let down for the audience Robbo, George died in 1968!. :lol:

I would love to have the leather elbow patch concession for that gig,  but I would hate to have to clean the seats

And Acker Bilk has had cancer for the last 13 years alg, so 5 stars for stating the bleeding obvious, that's why I said 'Just Imagine' :roll:  :roll: 

Tutt!,Tutt!, language Robbo old bean. :shock:

And thanks for stating the obvious, I am well aware that Mr Bilk has had cancer for  the last 13 years, both throat and bladder, now let us hope he is feeling better.

You are far too kind Algy. Acker Bilk was a very ordinary clarinet player. Most of the British trad players were very ordinary and at best were just imitations of the greats liked George Lewis, Mez Mezzrow, etc.  I was more of a modernist myself so I preferred the likes of Buddy de Franco. Jimmy Hamilton (of the Duke Ellington Orchestra) was also great. But for some strange reason modern jazz largely ignored the clarinet. Benny Goodman and Woody Herman were pretty good too.

But Mr Bilk - well, I believe he learned to play in prison, which perhaps says a lot!

To qualify for your like list does the artist have to be dead?