Shocked parents

Egbert

No PJ I am not. You see I accept (in fact, know without a shadow of a doubt) that serious music, whether it be classical, jazz or folk, is superior to mass produced pop junk. But the author of that load of rubbish in the link you posted, appeared to be arguing (up to the point where I got tired of reading it, anyway) that there are music snobs who like one sort of rubbish but look down on another sort.  He did not appear to be aware of the existence of classical music. As far as I am concerned there has, in the last sixty years or so, anyway, been one sort of pop music. You can try and split it up into different genres if you like - rock, heavy metal, punk, hip hop, etc, etc., but it is all junk and all produced with the sole aim of making lots of money. It's all pop.

So I ask again (and  I seek help here from people who apparently believe they  are more knowledgeable than I on the subject): Are there people who like, for the sake of the argument, rock, but would look down on heavy metal, or punk, or whatever?  If there are, they are just as much a music snob as I am portrayed to be. Except that they have no conceivable justification for being one

Adam you take things far too serious... I am totaly unmusical and i mean it..ask anyone who knows me...

I can listen to anything from Classic to heavy metal and i either like it or dont i dont judge any music to be Junk everyone to their own...we all have differnt likes and tastes in Music...

As for music being Junk and your statement" but it is all junk and all produced with the sole aim of making lots of money" do yout hink Beethoven or Bach would not of done the same in their time if were Possible.... 

Hi Steve

I don't know what Beethoven and Bach would have done - although I suspect they did quite well anyway. But there are plenty of composers around today writing serious "classical" music, or playing jazz and folk, who know full well they are not going to make much, if any, money out of it.  They are driven by a need to be creative - not by a need to make money.

Your argument about personal taste is accepted - but when it comes to music most people have appalling taste, probably because of a lack of a musical education.

As for me taking things too seriously...well, most of the problems in the world today are caused by people not taking anything seriously any more.  It's sometimes called "dumbing down" and it is leading to the world being taken over by idiots.

Neither Beethoven or Bach made much if any money from their music(as far as i know) and it doesn't matter who you are what music you make if you have the chance you make as much as possible even if its only to be able to spend more time composing music its natural and totally normal thing to do..

You also have to remember that today you have to be really good and have that something that others dont have when making music as the competition is far too great and with the WWW ect means you reach a far wider audience than Beethoven or Bach could ever of dreamed about,Because there are so many musicians out there its as i would expect really difficult to make money without being that little bit special.. so i dont think the comment 

who know full well they are not going to make much, if any, money out of it.  They are driven by a need to be creative - not by a need to make money.
Really apply s as if they can make money with their Music i bet the would not say "not thanks i just want to make music because its me being creative"

Well your taste in Music might not be the same as mine and i might like music that you find distasteful however same things apply everyone has a different taste in Music  I cant see why my taste or that of someone else in music is appalling  just because you dont like it or doesn't ft in with your idea of music..
As for your comment "most people have appalling taste" does this mean your one of the top ten thousand that can decide what music is and how its played? what about the African Tribes or the Aboriginal tribesmen is there Music not Music it was there a long time before Beethoven or Bach or most of any other types of so called Music::

Yes Adam your taking things far too seriously this is a place for some fun and to discuss things between everyday folk like myself and if everyone took everything seriously i would been in a box under the ground a long time ago... discuss, agree, disagree have a beer and laugh about it.. nothing too serious were not here to end all Wars or solve the Problems of Governments..

Blimey how many times have we been through the same long winded music 'discussion', going round on almost all topics on here that have ever dared to mentioned 'music' Adam.   It's like a stuck record :lol:  (get it ha ha?).

Good posts by the way Steve.

Got to feel a bit sorry for Egbert though. 

He doesn't post very often and this topic he started was about shocked parents and their kids mobile phone content but has suddenly turned to one about music.

Of course maybe it's the music that shocked the parents :wink:

You are right, Dizzy. But just remember it was not me that dragged me and my opinions on music into the thread.

Steve, for someone who started out by saying you were "unmusical" you seem to have some quiet strong views on the subject.

But actually, Beethoven and Bach did quite nicely out of their music.

Of course I accept that there are people who have made a lot of money out of music "by accident", as it were. There are numerous cases of people writing music which has unexpectedly proved popular and made them a lot of money.  And of course, when this happens, they are not going to turn the money down.

But out there right now, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of symphonies being written which might never get performed, never mind make their creators any money. Nor do they expect them to. They do it because they have got to get it out of their system. It's the same with  books, paintings, any sort of art you care to think about.

By the way, to suggest that "you have to be good" to make money out of music nowadays is so laughable that I think you MUST be joking.  It might be true that you have to be lucky, or have to be in the right place at the right time. But the more talent and originality you show, the less likely you are to be successful

As for African tribal music, or any other form of primitive music, I have the greatest respect for it, for out of it came everything that followed. But surely we should be able to take things forward in this so-called enlightened age instead of turning the clock back as today's rockers and popsters have done with their puerile efforts.

But on the other hand,  why should they worry as long as there are mugs out there prepared to spend their money on it?

PS

Sorry Egbert - I didn't start it!

You need a better pc then, Windows 3.1 , like most of the music you harp on about, is so last century Daddio

I can't believe a supposed highly musically educated jazz lover doesn't know who Louis Balfour is. He is only the country's premier jazz presenter so you should know him. His show was shown on prime time tv and his interviews and acts brought the true essence of jazz to the great unwashed masses. Shame on you.

I have now Googled Louis Balfour and find he is a fictional character on some satirical show years ago which I never watched. Apparently based on someone who appeared in "The Old Grey Whistle Test"???   which I also never watched.

So I won't even try looking at PJ's link.

Anyway, don't you think we have strayed away from Egbert's original topic long enough?

What was he on about? I can't remember!