Food waste?

observer

We're being told that the S/markets are throwing away tonnes of "waste" food, at the same time as the number of folk using food banks has trebled. Is it not possible for these two problems to resolve each other? And while they're at it, can't we start planting fruit trees or even veg on all public open land - sort of "dig for Britain" ?

The S/Markets must know when the "sell by dates" are due; so I presume they could set up a free stall and have a free night in the week or just give it to a food bank? If it's then not used up, they must be over-producing particular food ranges; which sounds rather uneconomic for a private sector retailer. As for the plant food idea, I confess I borrowed that one from Hugh Fernley-Whitington; more trees would also breath in some of the C02 they keep moaning about.

We're being told that the S/markets are throwing away tonnes of "waste" food, at the same time as the number of folk using food banks has trebled. 

I think that is far too easy a solution , so that (as usual)the folk  with  the necessary powers will now be able to ignore it.  :|

Or am I just being cynical  :?