Black Boy Inn & Yard.

algy

Yes, it would have been demolished to make Rylands St. This link is to a page in the London Gazette, I think from 1880, containing a public notice of the works to be done on Bridge St. It contains a description of the new street (ie Rylands St) and makes it clear that it will come out at the Black Boy Inn/Yard. Quite a few of your photo seem to have been taken to capture the old buildings before they go, I was hoping there may have been some of the Black Boy or of that bit of Bridge St before it went but, sadly, it seems not.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/21494/pages/3092/page.pdf

I'm quite enjoying the fb page at the moment, it's nice and livey!

Tracey I'm not sure that it was demolished, if you look at the section of a photo taken in 1897 the last building on the corner with Rylands Street is still on the old Bridge Street building line whereas the buildings on the other side of Bridge Street are new and set back on the widened street, is it at all possible that this is the corner shop you are looking for. You need to find a town directory for 1897 that would confirm it one way or the other.

1-Copy_zps129f6b1a.jpg

I know their shop was 64 Bridge St, old numbering. My relatives were only there on the 1851/61 Census, they relocated in 1871 and retired by 1881. Which direction does/did the numbering run on Bridge St? Is it low numbers at the circus and high at the river or the other way round?

Low numbers at the top, it looks as if your shop wa removed as the shop at the end is 62. Damn!!!.

But .....

This is the photo the lady on fb pointed out as the corner of Rylands St and Bridge St. Looks to me like it ties up with the map but is different to your photo above. I can't see the building with the arched doorway on this one. What do you think? I'm thinking these shops could be the one I'm looking for?

1897CornerofBridgeStreetampRylandsStreet

Tracey I believe your in luck I have an 1887 photo looking up Bridge Street and it does show your relatives shop although the window is blocked out by a passing horse bus, I am 99% certain that Podmores Hairdressers at No 62 is on the right corner (facing) of the entry way to the Black Boy Inn and your shop 64 is on the left corner of the entry.

If you look at the photo the lady off FB sent you there is a sign on the wall that reads Piggots Pianos the same sign is on the wall of the same building in the 1887 picture, the wall is whitewashed in this picture but it is the same building - Podmores Hairdresser's.

1887BridgeStreetbeforewidening_zps98caa3

1850map_zps2f166f81.jpg

2_zpsc976c1e7.jpg

That's fantastic Algy. I've gone back to the 1861 Census and realised that I got the number wrong, it's 74 not 64! However, the numbering system seems to be a bit odd and you could still be right. It goes No 40 Eagle and Child, then another 5 houses/shops before No 56 William Pearson umbrella maker, no 62 Joseph Podmore hairdresser (with nothing in between, don't know what happend to 58 and 60), then a tallow chandler in Black Boy Yard (still called Bridge St though), then the Black Boy Inn, then 74 Mary Binstone confectioner (my relative), then 78 Bridge St, 2 more houses unnumbered, then it goes on to what looks like Coffey's (Cossey possibly?) Yard. I'm confused by the Coffey's Yard as I can't see anything like that on the map. There are 8 families in Coffey's Yard before it returns to Bridge St from No 84.

I'm now wondering whether what we've been referring to as Black Boy's Yard was actually still considered Bridge St and numbers went around the Yard then the 'C' shaped building at the bottom of Black Boy Yard was Coffey's Yard? But that doesn't seem to make sense either. Maybe the enumerator was just a bit wayward in his numbering?

BridgeStCoffeysYard_zps4bdd91e6.png

Well I'm even more lost than I was last night now :lol:

I'm now wondering whether what we've been referring to as Black Boy's Yard was actually still considered Bridge St and numbers went around the Yard then the 'C' shaped building at the bottom of Black Boy Yard was Coffey's Yard? But that doesn't seem to make sense either. Maybe the enumerator was just a bit wayward in his numbering?

I found this though if it helps dated 1855.  It seems to infer that the Black Boy Inn was on Bridge Street :wacko:

blackboyinnwarrington_zps8a0daf0a.jpg

Just ignore me Algy... I was getting myself confused with map that said Rylands Street and the position of the shown on the maps.... and the other pub on the other topic  :lol:

Infact everything's confusing me today.  I should stay away from that Facebook place as it clearly isn't good for me

Just ignore me Algy... I was getting myself confused with map that said Rylands Street and the position of the shown on the maps.... and the other pub on the other topic  :lol:

Infact everything's confusing me today.  I should stay away from that Facebook place as it clearly isn't good for me

Dizz, I must admit its stressing me somewhat!.