Labour promises -

observer

There are now open cast mines in some areas; we've just discovered over a decade's supply of oil and shale gas; we've not exploited solar panels (on nearly every roof in Germany); we're behind the curve on recycling waste and vegetation into methane; and utilising wave, tidal and hydro schemes.

It would go up a lot more if you re open our coal mines Baz

and you know this as a fact? Would it go up by more than the 45% rise in the past five years? Would it go up by 90% over the next 10 years?

The truth is we just don't know. Until someone does a feasibility study to establish how much it would cost to reopen mines as opposed to continually being at the mercy of the fuel companies we won't.

Who know, the cost of gas and electric could rise by 150% over the next five years. As I said before; we are at their mercy

but what I am saying is for the future. If gas and elec prices have risen by 45% over the past 4 or 5 years who knows how much they could rise in the next 10 years..... we should at least look at the feasibility of costing the reopening of the mines and building coal fired power stations to use it. We shouldn't leave our selves open to the whims of the markets and to foreign owned energy companies.

If in the next 10 or 15 years; gas and electricity prices rise by 200%..... digging our coal out of the ground could well be the cheaper option!

Nuclear is the future Baz :wink:

Hmmmm tell the Japanese and the Russians that..... and didn't the Yanks nearly have a meltdown at Five Mile Island sometime in the past?? I think I'd rather have a bit of smog than a nuclear wasteland thank you very much!

My point would be that a nuclear waste storage site would have to be very carefully chosen with a view to present AND FUTURE geological disturbance being taken into account. The shale gas deposits seem to have been identified geologically so it would seem unlikely that the same areas would be deemed suitable for underground nuclear waste disposal. Just saying.

One of the Lakeland Borough Councils has volunteered to accept underground nuke waste storage; think it's close to Sellerfield and of course, there's the promise of jobs. Although the waste will no doubt be stored in protective containers; no doubt there's scope for accidents over a thousand years.

I agree Asp, and as to shale it is far to early to say if it is going to be the god send some think it will, large amounts were found in Poland, but it soon became evident the cost of extracting it was uneconomical, further tests needs to be done in the UK, which I think they are attempting to do now. But shake yet might be a camp squib. It is interesting how the government are now back tracking on the costs, it will never Lead to the cheap energy boom they have in the States sadly.