Beware Millipede -

observer

Individual limits to what? Contributions? I presume you are talking fairness here, the politics of the playground. The reality is that if the political parties we have now were as popular as they like to think they are, they wouldn't be looking for the taxpayer to bail them out because people would be queuing round the block to give them money.

Asp, it was not an attack, the reason I asked is because the Tory party has few members but a few rich people donate to keep it going, you could have a very well financed small party. The Labour Party are equally dependent on the unions, you seem to be talking about a system very similar to the system we have now.

To expand your idea more, perhaps political parties should only be allowed to spend what they get in from membership money, and cap the amount they can charge for membership, and allow no donations from companies, individuals or unions, I think the parties would be smaller but it would free them some what from the perception that people or organisations only give money for influence.

What I'm getting at is that the main political parties are manouevring to get tax-payer funding, with conditions that would stop smaller parties gaining a foothold and keeping this broken system in place. Perhaps some kind of limit on spending dependent on proved party membership would remove any fears about certain people buying influence.

The Green party membership has indeed gone up.... by 50% according to some reports; that's now 32 members they have :lol:

seriously though; they did see a 10% rise in members of the Young Greens over 1 weekend in 2010 when the government brought their tuition fee rises in