Britain - a small Island?

observer

So, Lt Kije, government ministers shouldn't be held to account just because they make a complete mess of their country's finances - is that what you're saying? They can do what they like, getting well paid, then walk away with a handsome pension without any comeback. A fine state of affairs.

:lol:  :lol:

What i believe we need to do, at the risk of sounding racist & regarding the UK economy, is to get British people off benefit & into jobs which is what Osborne is trying to do. At present we are paying too much out in benefits & much of that money is going to British people who are perfectly capable of working but who have found out that living off benefits is much more to their liking.

To achieve this aim it is probably necessary to repatriate many immigrants who are taking these jobs probably at reduced pay rates & start thinking about what is best for Britain. Get the BRITISH working again even if it means pulling out of  Europe.

I am sure i will be criticised for these extreme views ,but i am not an extremist ,but Britain is a small island whose economy is being stifled by European legislation.

• Upvote 1

I realise that there are probably some people who prefer not to work for a living and live on benefits, but I have yet to meet one. But, what I have met are people who refuse to work on a zero hours contract for £5.25 an hour and have to rely on tips and retail sales to boost their wages up to the minimum. Unfortunately, these are the jobs that immigrants will take and that's why employers prefer to employ them. 

Might help, if we put the horse before the cart, and exited the EU first, in order to repatriate all the meercats. Having done that, we can then talk about all the job vacancies that have been created, and why British Nationals are not taking them. There would be quite a few jobs at a distribution warehouse in Woolston for a start, but it may be a problem for any sensitive souls that don't want shift work.

Weird it will not let me edit !!!!

We have a minimum wage Davy, So your wrong on that part

time to pull your head out of the sand Kije..... we have a minimum wage... but it would appear that the only people sticking to it are the british employers who do things properly. There are so many ways around the minimum wage it is unbelievable!!

So uphold the law and prosecute the Bosses that are not paying it.

They do... but there are so many they haven't got the manpower to chase them all....many of which are companies set up over here by Eastern Europeans......

You also need to watch a few episodes of UK Border Force and see just how many illegal and legal immigrants are found living and working for other immigrants for little or no money....

Wolfie, are these people who are refusing to work on zero hours contracts for £5.25 an hour etc etc etc  claiming benefits or is that against their principles as well?

Asp, just by asking that question says to me that you have either, not recently or never claimed job seekers allowance, or you would know that turning down the offer of a job means that the benefit is not paid. However, what happens is, the person is questioned why he/she turned down the job. If it is pointed out that the employer was offering below the minimum wage or you could only get the minimum wage with top ups, then the job centre turn a blind eye. Rather than investigating or reporting who these corrupt employers are, the job centre send people who are more likely to accept the position and these people tend to be immigrants.

• Upvote 1

Apparently there are ways round the minimum wage Kije especially where imported labour is concerned  & in many cases these people are employed by a third party & not directly by the "reputable" companies they may be working for. It is ideal for seasonal peaks & troughs where managements can hire & fire at will without getting their hands dirty ,which just about sums up agency work in general.

Wolfie ,i know of people not far from me who are making a nice living off benefits & the money they get each week is certainly enough  to make it not worth their while to look for work....especially when they would have to find transport costs to & from work , have to give up watching Jezza ,& get up on cold & frosty mornings all for what would turn out to be just a few pounds more a week. Unless work is made a much more attractive prospect ,some of these people won't budge off benefits.

Think you have to distinguish between the chav with a load of kids, living off family allowance and the young lad on £60pw job seekers allowance? Then, as Dave said, you have to look at the difference between a wage and the consequent loss of benefits, which usually doesn't provide the incentive to get out of bed in a morning. This suggest that wages should be higher and/or benefits lower, in order to provide a difference that provides the incentive.

I know there is a shortage of jobs for everyone which makes it very shocking that so many jobs are going to immigrant labour & not all unemployed are scroungers ,but many of the jobs these immigrants do would be difficult to fill with British labour because many British workers are used to working in certain conditions & they can't be expected to drop their standards . May be the sub standard employers that are using dodgy standards need bringing into line in order to attract British workers.

Wolfie, £56pw is frankly appalling imo, but evidently it still isn't an incentive to take work that is available, either cos the youngster has a degree which excludes them from taking demeaning manual work,or can rely on the bank of Mom & Dad, or just has a problem getting out of bed.

I don't have a figure in mind but i know that  large companies in Britain are only too happy to operate with immigrant  staff . I know of instances where people have been made "redundant "  only to have their vacant jobs  taken over by foreign migrant workers the following day.....redundancy is supposed to mean when a job is no longer there .