Spotted any Deer recently in Warrington?

Geoffrey Settle

Driving through Glazbrook last week I thought I spotted a dear but it turned out to be a lama. Then I noticed loads more of them so must be some kind of lama farm out there.

Bill :)

Were they in a field across the moss on the right hand side. Not trying to be a 'smartie pants',Bill,probably alpaca's, same family as the lama.

I just crossed it off my list Algy, no way I'd ever be good enough to get a zoom lense :(

Fugs I nearly bought one of the ones you posted a few months ago. 

Argos were selling them half price (about £130 I think) but I talked myself out of it as I couldn't decided if it was that much better than the Canon SX130 IS I already have.

I want the 50x zoompower, Diz.

Yes, 50.

I dont know if you are into photography or not fugs but I have a camera with a 24x digital zoom and capability of 47x optical zoom, I can get away with the 24x holding it by hand but no chance with the 47x optical, i have to use a tripod or monopod and need descent light with a fast shutter speed to eliminate any vibration.

Very amusing!

I have left my house near to Walton Reservoir almost every day at 4.30am for the last twenty years (on my way to work).

I have seen many wild animals, Badgers, Hedgehogs, Hares, Rabbits, to name just a few.

There are no dears in Warrington, apart from the Old Dears on this forum!

Maybe they just see you coming RC and run for cover :lol:     Ha ha to the 'old dears on the forum' comment by the way but at what age does someone become an old dear... just so I know for when I get older :wink:     

Hi Dizzy

The Canon 1100d is about £250 body only on Amazon. For 80% of my shots I use a Tamron 18-270mm lens. You can take landscapes and zoom in for wildlife with this. You can see some more of my pictures if you like on my flickr page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bazscamera/

Wow amazing photo's BazS. 

Mmm maybe I do need to try to be a good girl for the next two months... well ok maybe the next year :wink: 

Ha ha my half just said I can sod off until I learn how to use the one I've got :oops:  :lol:

Hi Everyone. I stumbled across this thread the other day and thought I should comment as I'm the person that took the picture! I found the comments of Rockcutting most amusing! :P The picture was taken at Moore Nature Reserve and it is a wild Roe Deer. I took it with a Canon 1100d and a Sigma 500mm lens (for any fellow camera geeks out there). It was taken at about 6pm on 24th June. I just got very lucky, I'd only nipped down for an hour to try my lens out on some woodpeckers or maybe a fox. I was surprised as anyone to see it. Since then I have heard of sightings near Appleton and Walton Res (some years back). I think it's quite plausible for them to move from Walton to the reserve via the swing bridge near the car park. In the dead of night no one would see them. I only saw the one deer but I guess there must be more even if just a small number. I think they are just a wild population and not escapes from Dunham Massey as the deer there are fallow deer. BazJ I haven't seen a Bigfoot yet, the search continues..... :P I hope that sheds some light on the story behind the picture for everyone.

BazS, I take my hat off to you!, I have been on your Fickr page and the quality and composition of your photos are amazing, keep coming back on here and keep us all up to date on your latest shots. Well done!.

Easy mistake to make,

there are several old dears in this area (and I admit to killing a badger, when it ran infront of my car at 4.30 am) but there are, and never have been, any deer around the reservoir, apart from me and I have been a keen observer of flora and fauna around here for the last fifty years.

There used to be loads of hedgehogs (alas no longer) and lots of badgers (still in abundance but habitat has been reduced) we still have hares and rabbits although myxomatosis has affected their numbers, sparrow hawks and kestrals are still around as are barn owls, bats, shrews, voles and some very large rats.

Newts (all native species) frogs and toads all breed in the pond in my front garden (and all other ponds around) and there are, now, like it or not, an abundance of buzzards.

Unfortunately there have never (please prove me wrong) been any recently any recorded sightings of deer of any species around the Walton/Appleton area of Warrington apart from in Walton Hall Zoo.

Aww I really miss seeing hedgehogs as we always use to see them pottering about in our garden when we were younger as well as seeing them wandering about in the turn-a-bout at the end of our road and we used to move them to safety.  We use to get loads of water voles too but oddly enough they were usually found drowned in our pond.  Maybe they were moles rather than water voles and my mum and dad were wrong ha ha.

The last time I saw a hedgehog was up near Ambleside a few years back when we were on a caravan rally.  We were driving down a dark country road and I screamed at the top of my voice from the passenger seat STOP !!  I scared the living daylights out of my other half as he slammed on and the other passengers in the car too.  They were quite cross (in a nice way) when I said there was a hedgehog crossing the road.  :lol:

Lovely little creatures and so very cute :)  There still must be quite a lot around locally though as Warrington has a Hedgehog Rescue Centre.  Last time I looked they had the most beautiful videos of the little hedgehogs that had been saved that they were nursing back to health to hopefully be released again.  Lovely that people will do that :)     

As for the rest I've seen foxes, a hare and even a badger wandering down our road at night too and they too have been lovely to see.  Errm if any pest controllers are reading they might have just been swans though :)    

When I was about twelve my dad had been on the works annual bowling booze up and walking home late at night after being dropped off found a hedgehog in the road and picked it up with his cap, he then brought it home and put the damned thing in bed with me, I was up till that point in time fast asleep, I woke up immediately and let out a howl which in turn woke my mother, who to put it mildly played merry hell with him, then had to strip all the sheets off the bed because any wild hedgehog is full of fleas, she nearly divorced him over that episode, but that was only one of many daft things that he got up to.

On the topic of hedgehogs, driving back one evening this summer I found a hedgehog stood in the road near the stagg pub with a cup stuck on his head!!!! Anyway I got out my car and got the cup off his head and he then went onto the grassy island area. Just shows how dangerous dropping litter can be!

I thought that the start of a joke for one sec BazS :oops:  

Re uploading photos... I upload mine to  photobucket then just click on the little 'green square' icon on the toolbar on  here when posting and just copy/paste the direct link into the box.  10th to the right of the B (bold) and left to the <> 

You can directly upload a thumbnail from your pc to here (by using the 'more reply options' when you start to post) but that tends to be very small and you are really limited to file size and storage so it's a right pain.

If you get stuck with either just ask again :wink:

That deer is just so cute and I hope it's still ok. 

I remember seeing a pic of the Mersey seal in the WG and also some other sightings too.  Good that the water is cleaner now and the fish are thriving more hence the odd seals that are now spotted too I guess.

There was a large stuffed seal in the museum until recently that my granddad helped to catch in the Mersey (or was it my great granddad.. one or the other).  Not sure if it's still there after the revamp but I always felt a bit bad looking at it knowing that one of my ancestors had helped send it to it's final resting place in the museum :(

Dizzy,  the seal is safe and sound and will form part of the new exhibition area that has almost been finished.  I saw it just last week..

p.s.  don't feel too bad about your ancestors catching the seal,  mine would have eaten it :wink: