Spotted any Deer recently in Warrington?

Geoffrey Settle

There are a growing number of deer being spotted in Warrington, Peel Hall Park, Croft and Moore Narure Reserve but have you spotted any recently? If so please let me know so that we can track their movements and learn more about what is going on :P They are very rimid and hide very well but recently they have been sneaking up behind people so you may not see them but they will certainly see you :mrgreen:

This one was spotted at Moore Narure reserve recently.

RoeDeer_zps5d5a2cb4.jpg

I am at a loss as to how it/they? have located to Moore Nature Reserve as there are only five ways in to the area, Moore Lane and over the swing bridge - unlikely, Morley Road Lower Walton via Chester Road - unlikely, Runcorn swing bridge via Spike Island - unlikely and Penketh over Gateworth tip bridge - unlikely, I suppose there is another route following the West Coast Railway line, deer have been known to wander along railway tracks - possibility but would be very lucky not to be hit by a train. One thing certain if some 'yobbo' with a rifle finds out it will be hunted down.

I too agree with Algy, strange  they could get to Moore Nature reserve. Where from?

I think you mean the Runcorn Swing bridge to Wigg Island Algy (not to Spike Island, which is Widnes side of the Mersey!)

But, perhaps they could have swam!

The bridge across ship canal to Wigg Island is very narrow, only about half the width of normal swing bridges, I wonder why?

To deter herds of deer crossing? 

bridgefromRuncorntoWiggIsland_zpsb102a88

I think that you'll find that they are smater than the average bear Boo-Boo :mrgreen:

:lol:  :P

Edit...... It's just occurred to me Geoff that if they are so smart how come someone managed to get such a good pic of the deer you posted?

Guess they must have had a whopper of a zoom or were dressed as a bush and smelling of pure nature ? :lol: 

I too agree with Algy, strange  they could get to Moore Nature reserve. Where from?

I think you mean the Runcorn Swing bridge to Wigg Island Algy (not to Spike Island, which is Widnes side of the Mersey!)

But, perhaps they could have swam!

The bridge across ship canal to Wigg Island is very narrow, only about half the width of normal swing bridges, I wonder why?

To deter herds of deer crossing? 

bridgefromRuncorntoWiggIsland_zpsb102a88

Sorry middlec I had just finished reading about the canal and Spike Island had been mentioned :oops: , I above anyone should know it's Wigg Island as I used to ride the MSC tank engine into Randles and Wigg works when I was a youngster.

:lol:  :P

Edit...... It's just occurred to me Geoff that if they are so smart how come someone managed to get such a good pic of the deer you posted?

Guess they must have had a whopper of a zoom or were dressed as a bush and smelling of pure nature ? :lol: 

Because it was spotted by someone from Friends of Moore who have lots of patience and there are two excellent bridges for deer to cross.

Good job they didn't have a gun 'scope thingy' then Geoff :lol:  

Just 'cos someone says they are a friend doesn't mean they really are.. or so the news keeps telling us all anyway :wink:

Anyway joking aside.. everyone will probably know now soon as news travels fast so if that little deer or his/her mates finish up as a burger I will hold you solely responsible.   

That's what people are trying to find out and that's why evidence through more sightings is welocomed - they have probably escaped from estates like Dunham as they can leep quite high over walls etc.

This one was spotted by Bob Haskew-Jones in Peel Hall Park back in August 2009 :) - but not been seen since :mrgreen: As Mulder would say

'The Truth is Our there'

DEERinPeelHallPark_zps4b6dcf35.jpg

And who'd have thought that you would have Wild Wallabees in the Isle of Man - they escaped from the zoo many year's ago and now live in rhe swamps at the edges of where I go and help the Manx Wildlife Trust when I go across ro Marshal at the TT. I've haven't seen them there yet but here is a link to the BBC Countryfile  episode when they did. You just need plenty of patience. We were told that unlike deer you could be srood right next to a Wallabee  and not see it in the woodland, we saw the evidence but not the marsupial.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/isleofman/hi/people_and_places/nature/newsid_8728000/8728764.stm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Everyone. I stumbled across this thread the other day and thought I should comment as I'm the person that took the picture! I found the comments of Rockcutting most amusing! :P The picture was taken at Moore Nature Reserve and it is a wild Roe Deer. I took it with a Canon 1100d and a Sigma 500mm lens (for any fellow camera geeks out there). It was taken at about 6pm on 24th June. I just got very lucky, I'd only nipped down for an hour to try my lens out on some woodpeckers or maybe a fox. I was surprised as anyone to see it. Since then I have heard of sightings near Appleton and Walton Res (some years back). I think it's quite plausible for them to move from Walton to the reserve via the swing bridge near the car park. In the dead of night no one would see them. I only saw the one deer but I guess there must be more even if just a small number. I think they are just a wild population and not escapes from Dunham Massey as the deer there are fallow deer. BazJ I haven't seen a Bigfoot yet, the search continues..... :P I hope that sheds some light on the story behind the picture for everyone.

Hiya and welcome to the forum BazS :D 

Thanks for the info about the photo and for taking it too in the first place of course and allowing it to be shown on here (.... errm  I guess you did allow GeoffS to post it ha ha).

It most certainly does shed some light on the story behind the picture and lovely to think that there are indeed deer around here after all even if it might be just the odd one or two.   

I'd love to see more of your wildlife photo's that you have taken in the area... but if you do ever spot Bigfoot please don't tell me  :)

PS.... Canon 1100d eh... mmm xmas list updated :)

PPS Rockcutting.... I'm saying nothing   :lol:   (friendly banter again that's all :wink: )  

I do hope you have been a good girl this year Dizz as Santa will probably need a few extra quid from Mr Dizz if you ask him for one or a combination of the following and after reading the review on the lens (never mind the camera) save some pennies for a course to enable you to use it tuppence. :wink:

Canon EOS 1100D (Black) Body Only - £239

Scoll down the page.

ACANOCM205259271_zps0b1b3bb8.jpg

Sigma150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM - Canon fit - £749

1025305_zps83c9d731.jpg

Canon EOS 1100D Digital SLR Camera (inc. 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 DC III Lens Kit) - £499.99

41sTg2WNbPL_SX342__zps166870da.jpg

Decent Monopod, you don't want a cheap ten quid one do you.

Monopod - £49

a34fcc17-acbb-4e80-bbf8-7e251f0f4406_zps