Let them out?

observer

Seems some "prison expert" is saying, crimes such as theft, fraud & burglary (non-violent); shouldn't be punished with prison, but fines or community service orders. Just asking - but how do they pay fines and will they comply with community service orders; and does it prevent them thieving?

• 2 weeks later...

I regularly watch those fly on the wall TV cop shows and the ones that get me are the ones where the driver of a stolen car takes the cops on a 30 mile chase....they follow him with half a dozen cop cars and throw the helicopter in for good measure.... at the end of the chase the thief does a runner only to be stopped by yet another cop car with a few Alsatians in it....

then right at the end; Jamie Theakston says...." and the man who took the cops on a 30 mile chase before wrecking a stolen car and biting the ear off a police dog was sentenced to 40 hours community service and fined £200.00)".... It just cost about £10,000 in Police time and resources to catch him, plus the costs of prosecuting him......... but I guess some would see that as a punishment!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

The problem is that because of all the human rights nonsense, prisoners are usually placed in a prison which is close to their home town as possible. This allows the murderer to still have family visits and all that....Nice innit!!

Why we cannot build a big prison somewhere on an inhabited island (possibly the one with anthrax on it would be a good start) and just chuck all the lifers and violent idiots on there is beyond me.

It is another example of how bloody soft this country has become over the last 50 years and why just about everyone in the know takes the p%%s out of the system

• 3 weeks later...