Cheap Labour?

Bazj

According to a news report last night, a lot of Meercats are being recruited directly by agencies advertising our jobs in E/Europe, once they set up a bridgehead, they then bring their mates over and you've got a colony of well behaved cheap labour. I was quoting a MOD report on Army intakes Diz, where 40% of recruits were said to have a three -Rs ability of an Eleven year old, you then need to look at higher education and the types of degrees, and ask whether they match the economic imperatives of the workplace.

Thought you might go off on this tack. Fact is, if you really want to go back in time, with the exception of central Africa, there are no "indigenous" populations elsewhere in the world, they all migrated from Africa. However, for the purposes of this argument, I think anything up to and including 1066, should suffice as "indigenous" in the UK !

You brought it up Obs, not me, I can see why 1066 would suit you, but not me, very foolish of you to use the word indigenous !!!

picking a minority item again Kije? what about the low skilled jobs that are taken in Warrington in warehouses, shops and hotels? I worked in a hotel when I first left school.... is that kind of job open to kids now or are they only open to Agency Polish? I worked in Woolston making pasta meals after that.... the company I worked for back then employs countless Poles now. B&Q employ Lithuanian delivery drivers... I've had two kitchens delivered in the past 5 months and both times they were delivered by Eastern European drivers and one even had an Eastern European drivers mate.... why can't these jobs be given to British workers?

and don't give me the usual crap about our unemployed not wanting the work.... that is just a lie!

Why are they employing Polish instead of English Baz? It might be because its the Poles going for the jobs. I have done my fair share of working in hotels, and they would rather employ people who can speak English , the Foreigners might just have a better work ethic Baz, you have no idea.

Why are they employing Polish instead of English Baz? It might be because its the Poles going for the jobs. I have done my fair share of working in hotels, and they would rather employ people who can speak English , the Foreigners might just have a better work ethic Baz, you have no idea.

I'm glad you asked Kije.... the site manager tells me that all of the agencies that they use in Hull tend to only employ Eastern Europeans and actively advertise in Eastern Europe rather than in Hull.

I'm glad you asked Kije.... the site manager tells me that all of the agencies that they use in Hull tend to only employ Eastern Europeans and actively advertise in Eastern Europe rather than in Hull.

You know Baz ,these agencies who are advertising abroad for cheap foreign labour must be doing so with the approval of their client companies , the CBI (or similar) & ultimately the approval of the government of the day .

Actually Dave, I think they already recruit from commonwealth countries!  Kije, indigenous is a commonly used term for peoples that have occupied a Country for generations. 1066, would keep us on a par with native Americans, who are termed indigenous to the American continent.

How long is a piece of string? We can go round in circles on this one for ever!  As I've said all Homo-Sapiens were migrants, we displaced Neandertals in Europe, who were here millions of years before us, so perhaps the word "indigenous" is redundant?! Perhaps previous occupiers might be appropriate?!