Fly Grazing Chaos in Houghton Green

Geoffrey Settle

Well it's been chaos all week with horses running wild up and down Delph Lane. They escaped or where let out from the Field containing the small lake by the side of the M6 and made off to the firlds behind the Mill House Pub and on Saturday morning they popped into the Plough Pub car park.

Now this might seem funny a pub crawl on the Hoof but these horses have been let out of the Houghton Green Pool SINC field that they were grazing in and let lose. They were terrified as they traffic came towards them and past them. I don't know what the driver thought but a couple of them certainly didn't help.

Fortunately Houghton Green is a place where there are a number of people who know about our four legged friends and they helped the police rescue the situation.

What do you think about fly grazing because I'm fairly sure that the naimals here were originally the same ones in Latchford that were reported earlier in the year PLUS three brand new Foals born by the lakeside.

Follow this link for more info and photos

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.365493440219704.1073741852.282937758475273&type=1

DSCF7065_zps8189ec52.jpgDSCF7060_zps2e20289c.jpgDSCF7062_zps56f54a91.jpg

Well I managed to have a brief conversation the man who collected them and he said that they were his horses and he had an agreement with the land owner to put the herd on his land. He said that he was a traveller and that local children (not from Houghton Green - a bit further away) had been letting the horses out, he was very angry and annoyed about this. He gave me a leaflet that he said was from his business and his van had a web address to a local company that does building. So I need to do more research as I have just become a member of the WBC Travellers and Gypsy liaison committee and this week's issues are certainly something that I will be raising when we next meet and if he turns out to be who he said he is he is very welcome to attend our next meeting. But as I don't know him from Adam who knows.

They do look like traveller horses. Here they tend to be tethered on common land which isn't ideal, they suffer in this hot weather as they can't go into the shade or they kick their water buckets over and end up with none for large parts of the day. They also frequently pull up the pegs on their chains and end up roaming on the road which is horrifically dangerous for all concerned. Hope you manage to sort it out. 

Sounds like you've had a busy weekend Geoff. They are beautiful horses and do look to be in good health from all your pics which is something.

If the land owner has given the chap permission to keep his horses like he says there have you asked them for his details etc ?  Maybe a padlock could have been put on the gate to stop kids leaving it open if that is genuinely what's been happening.

How old are the foals any idea ?  I noticed on your link that you say the man/van took the foals away and you don't know where too.  Did he take their mothers too as they are probably not weaned yet if they are young :(

You also ask about the can and the trailer.  You probably already noticed they both have different registration numbers.

Re the web site address on the van (no phone number though which is unusual for a business) if I read it right (www.diamondbuilders.co.uk) they don't actually have a website so again pointless.  It's registered to this person if it's any help.....

Registrant: - Martin Boardman

Trading as:  diamondbuilders.co.uk

Registrant type:  UK Sole Trader

Registrant's address:

Gravesend Road

Rochester

ME2 3QT

United Kingdom

Registrar:

1 & 1 Internet AG

URL: www.1and1.co.uk or http:// registrar.1und1.info

Relevant dates:

Registered on: 13-Jan-2003

Expiry date:  13-Jan-2015

Last updated:  12-Jan-2013

It isn't unusual for pikeys not to have a legitimate phone number on their vans Dizzy.... they are rip off merchants and should be avoided at all costs. Unfortunately, due to the likes of the human rights act; these crooks have a right to rip off pensioners and law abiding citizens and councils are expected to bend over backwards to help them with committees like the one Geoff is on and schools having to provide their offspring with education regardless of whether the school is full or not.....

They should be moved along or sent back to their houses in Ireland or have their vans seized and crushed

• Upvote 1

Or taken into care

Coffee, you would have problems finding an equine shelter to accept the number of horses involved here, caring for horses is an expensive business and funded entirely by charitable subscription, unless your a 'traveller' then it's almost cost free - just let them loose on someone's land or tether them on a roadside grass verge. Were back to the old problem of protecting these leeches on society along with the other illegals, if your a national and born in this country then your immediately placed at a disadvantage and not only expected to support these hangers on but forced to do so by legislation!.

Geoff, thanks for taking the trouble of looking after these poor animals.

The foals should definitely still be with their mums then Geoff they will still be feeding of them  :cry:

As for 'dizzielizzie'... not me Geoff as I'm just plain dizzy.  I might have to have a nosey on the other side now to see what they are saying about you :lol:

'Nags' Algy !?!?   :huh:  They are not 'nags' they are beautiful, strong pieballed 'cobs' bred for their muscular strength and I guess resilience too and clearly good natured and used to people going from Geoff's photo's.

As for selling them... well that's usually the fate of the foals especially in the traveller community if they are healthy, I wonder what will happen to the older breeding mares though :( 

They are absolutely stunning horses and I wish I had a field as I'd have them without a second thought if I could.  If only ......... 

'Nags' Algy !?!?   :huh:  They are not 'nags' they are beautiful, strong pieballed 'cobs' bred for their muscular strength and I guess resilience too and clearly good natured and used to people going from Geoff's photo's.

As for selling them... well that's usually the fate of the foals especially in the traveller community if they are healthy, I wonder what will happen to the older breeding mares though :(

They are absolutely stunning horses and I wish I had a field as I'd have them without a second thought if I could.  If only ......... 

Oooooh! you are soppy Dizz, good job you never saw us shoeing horses, if they misbehaved  or leaned on you too heavy we used to belt them on the flank with the side of the hammer, and before you start on me that's what you were taught to do to show them who was boss, otherwise they would drag you all over the place.

STOP PRESS - Indy has kindly taken some photos from last week and produced an excellent video - he even got the Rock God's mate Mick somebody to do the backing vocals :mrgreen: The people her doesn't know aren't worth knowing.

Just look at the Houghton Green Pool scenes it’s almost like the surf and no ragwort in sight

Thanks WWW for a great procuction.

Houghton Green in Arizona?

Some really fine looking beasts. :wink:

It's been a long hot summer and the Houghton Green Pool is attracting the usual undesireables. I will be organising the WNCF's 3rd annual litter and junk pick up later in the year when the weather cools down - although with the land being sold I may have to get the new land owner's approval. :roll:  just hope it's you know who because he was interested. :evil:

What did you have for breakfast this morning Geoff as you are confusing me.

First a video 'by' Indy :lol: .... and now riddles over the land and 'you know who' who we don't know.  

Question.... why are you leaving your litter picking until later in the year and when the weather cools down.   That's weird and surely will make the job a whole lot harder (although the photo's will be better I suppose when it's reported if you've got loads of bags rather than just a few.. are you practicing to become a Lib Dem now :lol:   :wink: )

Dizzy it takes a bit of organising and getting litter pickers and bags dropped of the the 25 plus bags to the collection point. It takes the group anout 2 hours - it's a question of economies of scale. During the summer there are loads of people on there, moto bikes, scooters, BBQ parties etc. So the approach is wait until peace and quiet returns and the chances of litter being dropped imeediately after the litter pick is reduced. If we did it on a more regular basis that is all we would be doing and it's private land but with permissive right of way access.

Now as for breakfast a bacon toasty with tomatoe sauce and a cup of hot chocolate.

My motto is aim to confuse :lol:

You must know who Indy is :mrgreen: haven't you met him yet - James Balme http://www.youtube.com/user/Tvpresenter4history?feature=watch he produces all my work :P  - I wish unfortunately Gary won't let him freelance a great deal.