Struggling financially?

observer

Seems 52% of the population (60% in the N/West) are now struggling to pay their bills. With wages not keeping pace with inflation, folk are effectively suffering wage cuts, while essential bills climb ever higher. And the benefits cuts are yet to bite. Maybe MPs will reflect on this, when they discuss their next wage rise, after all, aren't we "all in it together!"?

A zero-hour contract is an employment arrangement where an employee has agreed to be available for work as and when required, so that no particular number of hours of times of work are specified. The employee is expected to be on-call and receive compensation only for hours worked

It is like lining up at the factory gates waiting for the boss to call you in for a job if he likes the look of you....pretty similar to agency work for that matter. It just shows what a mess the country is in. No wonder the  church was happy to invest in Wonga.

Thus proving, that there is no such thing as a progressive or permanent state of enlightenment. Seems each generation has to learn afresh the mistakes of previous generations, brought about by changing circumstances. You never know, Trade Unions may make a comeback !

Why is that a hammer Davy? The majority of people in the country are employed by companies employing 10 people or less.... small businesses find it really difficult compared to big business; especially when something as simple as gas, electric and diesel prices slap a few hundred quid a month rises on your outgoings....

There were volunteers collecting for the local foodbank at ASDA this morning, they were asking for basic things like uht milk, pasta, tinned tomatoes etc.  I spoke to one of the collectors and he told me that there are many, many more families needing these food donations every month.  Its a sad indication of how hard things are at the bottom for a lot of folk.

Why is that a hammer Davy? The majority of people in the country are employed by companies employing 10 people or less.... small businesses find it really difficult compared to big business; especially when something as simple as gas, electric and diesel prices slap a few hundred quid a month rises on your outgoings....

Well i always see it this way, unless people's take home pay keeps pace with or even exceeds a family's outgoings where is the extra money coming from  to stimulate the economy in terms of the few little extras that other people's jobs depend on....the motor industry ,white goods, family excursions ,leisure etc. ? If people are left with a bit of money in their pockets when all the bills are paid they are happy & feel confident to spend on the little luxuries in life. I am not saying that is ideal for all businesses & their employees but that is just my view. What is killing Britain is the high prices of essentials that all people need ...gas, electric,petrol & taxation & really speaking the government needs to step in & reduce taxes drastically to get the economy moving again. I think we've been here before though.

There were volunteers collecting for the local foodbank at ASDA this morning, they were asking for basic things like uht milk, pasta, tinned tomatoes etc.  I spoke to one of the collectors and he told me that there are many, many more families needing these food donations every month.  Its a sad indication of how hard things are at the bottom for a lot of folk.

Disgusting  for Britain in the 21st century .

Davy I totally agree with you about taxation. It is in the government's hands to give people more money to spend by reducing the amount taken off them in tax. As Baz says the employer is facing rises in costs and taxes and cannot, therefore, be expected to increase wages in line with inflation.

As far as workers rights go, interestingly my ship is undergoing an inspection today to ensure that the ship, and owner, comply with the Maritime Labour Convention which comes into force on 20th August. The MLC will ensure, for the first time, that seafarer's rights and working conditions are covered by International agreements enforceable by law. This is a big step forward in removing rogue ships and their owners from business.

Seems that there are now over 1 million people in the UK on zero hour contracts, and many more who, having not had a pay rise for over 5 years are offered one as long as they agree to be put on a zero hour contract.

Employers love them because hours are only offered to those who 'toe the line'. We seem to have gone back a hundred years in employee rights.

Seems that there are now over 1 million people in the UK on zero hour contracts, and many more who, having not had a pay rise for over 5 years are offered one as long as they agree to be put on a zero hour contract.

Employers love them because hours are only offered to those who 'toe the line'. We seem to have gone back a hundred years in employee rights.

The wonders of a capitalist society, Exploitation, Expoitation, Exploitation !!!!!