Will you run with me sir?

Cleopatra

What a heartwarming story that has gone viral and become an internet sensation. A nine year old boy lost from his group of runners in a 5k race in Michigan asks 19 year old marine, lance corporal Myles Kerr, "Will you run with me sir?". The marine dropped back in the race and ran with the boy, encouraging him to keep going to the finish. Not only that but he let the boy reach the finishing post ahead of him, meaning that the marine finished last in the race. Such a selfless gesture which should serve as an inspiration to many others, who's only concern is the self.

A great example of a teenager who has had military trained values instilled into his mind and taught how to look after his comrades, interesting to note Cleo that you have had only threee replies whereas if the story had been about a 19 year old mugging some dear old lady this thread would have been loaded with replies pulling the lad to bits.

It's a lovely story but just wondering....if another person/19 year old (ie not a marine dressed in uniform, wearing combat boots and carrying a heavy rucksack) had stopped to help and run with the little boy would it have hit the news pages.  I very much doubt it.

Algy... your comment of 'A great example of a teenager who has had military trained values instilled into his mind and taught how to look after his comrades' is true but made me smile as the seal of honours page says '....after the other Marines he was with had finished, Lcpl Kerr still had not crossed the line. They feared his extreme level of motivation may have caused him injury and/or fatigue resulting in him dropping out of the race. Moments before they ran back through the course to recover their fellow Marine, Lcpl Kerr came around the last turn along with this small boy.'

So not only was the little boy left behind his absence unnoticed by his group but so was the marine :wink:

Rather a handsome chap by the way... I wonder when he's running again as I might sign up for the same race as I'd definitely struggle and he could help me too :) :) :)

interesting to note Cleo that you have had only threee replies whereas if the story had been about a 19 year old mugging some dear old lady this thread would have been loaded with replies pulling the lad to bits.

The reason I didn't comment is because I have no idea what Cleo was on about. The story may have gone viral but it hasn't reached me yet :unsure: